stop my G. Rosea from climbing on the glass of her enclosure

spinnerofwebs

Arachnopeon
My G. Rosea has a habit of trying to climb her glass enclosure. I mist the sides of the enclosure just above the substrate to keep her from getting a grip on the bottom. It's a large enclosure and I don't have the money to purchase the substrate to fill it up to her leg span from the top. She has climbed about half way up before and I had to "rescue" her. I'm seriously concered about her falling and hurting her self.

I've done a little research here and can only find the suggestion (out of three posts that came up from the search) is to raise the substrate levels. I also read that it is because she is trying to explore. She really didn't do it until after her substrate started drying from being dehydrated for use. She wouldn't even go on the substrate when it was wet. Attached is a picture of Spidey and her Enclosure. IMG_1019.jpg IMG_1019.jpg

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
G rosea are from an extremely arid environment. Keep the substrate dry and the t likely won't spend as much time on the glass.

That said, you really need to add enough substrate so there's no potential for the tarantula to hurt itself from a fall. Another option is moving the tarantula to another enclosure that is not as tall. If you want to ensure the safety of your tarantula, you really need to adjust the enclosure it is currently in. You should be able to get enough substrate to remedy the situation for just a few dollars.

spinnerofwebs

Arachnopeon
I was looking at these <a href="http://www.herpsupplies.com/product.cfm?groupid=7395&id=APPTDL">Enclosure Dividers</a>, do you know if those are good? I figured I could make a multiple enclosure, since I plan on purchasing and multiple sp.

---------- Post added 01-11-2012 at 06:45 PM ----------

I was looking at these <a href="http://www.herpsupplies.com/product.cfm?groupid=7395&id=APPTDL">Enclosure Dividers</a>, do you know if those are good? I figured I could make a multiple enclosure, since I plan on purchasing and multiple sp.
I thought HTML was supposed to work on here...

paassatt

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Wow, that is a huge tank...as was already mentioned, you should move it to something smaller and add more substrate. Also, there are some props in there that would make for a pretty ugly fall were the spider to land on them. I'd stick with the hide and water dish and ditch everything else.

And to answer your question about posting links, there's a link button that you can use to insert a clickable link. When replying, choose "go advanced" and it'll bring up a nice slew of options for you to choose from. The link button is the one with the globe; click that and insert the URL in between the code.

jt39565

Arachnoknight
If your determined to stop your T from climbing the glass put vaseline on it. That'll learn it ! Works for roaches.

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
After getting a better look at the enclosure on a computer screen, not my phone, I'd also move it to a smaller enclosure if at all possible. That thing is much larger than a G. rosea needs.

As far as the dividers go, I've never used them so I can't comment specifically, but I would be hesitant to use one unless you are absolutely positive that the t's can't get across to the other's side. There are many horror stories about divided tanks that began with 2 tarantulas and ended with one fat tarantula. Separate enclosures is much safer.

desertanimal

Arachnoknight
It's a large enclosure and I don't have the money to purchase the substrate to fill it up to her leg span from the top.
I figured I could make a multiple enclosure, since I plan on purchasing and multiple sp.
It seems odd to say that you can't afford to fill the enclosure with substrate but are planning on purchasing multiple spiders. I agree that a smaller tank would be a more reasonable choice, but those bricks of coconut fiber cost under $10.

http://www.petco.com/product/10813/...essed-Coconut-Fiber-Expandable-Substrate.aspx

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
You can't afford a few bucks for substrate?
Go to a gardening/plant/hardware store. You can get large amounts of peat and even coir for a fraction of the pet brands.

Spraying the sides won't really prevent climbing, and the constant spraying will surely be a source of stress/annoyance for a dry loving species like your rosea.

Do not use Vaseline. That will only succeed in greasing up the tarantulas feet, which may make it harder for it to "stick" to things, and could lead to more falls. Not only that, Vaseline could affect its hunting abilities and even web production, if it gets on the spinnerets.

In the meantime, you could find a smaller, shorter Tupperware container or something else from a dollar shop, poke some holes, and safely set her up in that until you can get her more sub for her enclosure.
It may not be pretty, but it'll be safe and you wouldn't have to worry.

EDIT:

I also strongly suggest against using dividers, especially to those who are new and don't know what spiders are capable of. You have to make sure that they have independently closing, secure lids, and that there is no way they can get into the other side. They are surprisingly strong and can squeeze through the smallest of gaps. Good luck though.

Last edited:

spinnerofwebs

Arachnopeon
It seems odd to say that you can't afford to fill the enclosure with substrate but are planning on purchasing multiple spiders.

http://www.petco.com/product/10813/...essed-Coconut-Fiber-Expandable-Substrate.aspx
I am waiting until later to purchase. Sorry if there was confusion. I don't have the money to buy the substrate now, nor a new enclosure, so I am going to try to get some dividers. I have an idea that will act as a box. I will check out the site you sent too. Thank you.

---------- Post added 01-11-2012 at 08:26 PM ----------

I'm actually living off bread that have to make myself right now. so ya, not even a few bucks for sub.

paassatt

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I don't have the money to buy the substrate now, nor a new enclosure, so I am going to try to get some dividers. I have an idea that will act as a box.
Don't do the divider thing, it's a horrible idea. Surely you can buy a plastic container from walmart or somewhere to house your spider. They're not expensive at all, probably the same amount you'd spend on whatever dividers you were planning on purchasing.

desertanimal

Arachnoknight
I am waiting until later to purchase. Sorry if there was confusion. I don't have the money to buy the substrate now, nor a new enclosure, so I am going to try to get some dividers. I have an idea that will act as a box. I will check out the site you sent too. Thank you.

---------- Post added 01-11-2012 at 08:26 PM ----------

I'm actually living off bread that have to make myself right now. so ya, not even a few bucks for sub.
Gotcha. Sorry things are so tight. In that case, scrounging up a smaller container from around the house, ventilating it, and filling it with the substrate you already have might be the best bet until you figure out something more permanent that suits your needs.

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My G. Rosea has a habit of trying to climb her glass enclosure. I mist the sides of the enclosure just above the substrate to keep her from getting a grip on the bottom. It's a large enclosure and I don't have the money to purchase the substrate to fill it up to her leg span from the top. She has climbed about half way up before and I had to "rescue" her. I'm seriously concered about her falling and hurting her self.

I've done a little research here and can only find the suggestion (out of three posts that came up from the search) is to raise the substrate levels. I also read that it is because she is trying to explore. She really didn't do it until after her substrate started drying from being dehydrated for use. She wouldn't even go on the substrate when it was wet. Attached is a picture of Spidey and her Enclosure. ...
Here is a much better idea: Pick up a plastic shoe box from your friendly, neighborhood, discount, department store for less than $3. Then, melt a few holes in it for ventilation following the tips and hints in Any suggestions for puncturing holes in plastic shoe boxes?

Move your G. rosea into the plastic shoe box. Empty and clean up that huge aquarium and advertise it on the websites of your closest herp club and tropical fish club. Take the money that you get by selling it and buy a few Kritter Keepers from your local pet shop or that department store. Or, by that time you will come to understand just how good, as well as cheap, the plastic shoe boxes are for tarantula cages, and you'll buy even more of them. Since you now are addicted, you can use the remainder of the bundle of cash you got for the aquarium to buy a bunch more tarantulas.

{D

And, read Stan's Rant. Pay particular attention to the following points.

1> Never believe anything that a pet shop tells you unless it's confirmed here.

2> Never believe anything you read on an Internet care sheet unless it's confirmed here.

3> Read the 4 recommended books as soon as you can find copies of them.

Lastly, be sure to read Care and Husbandry of the Chilean Rose Tarantula as well.

Enjoy your little, 8-legged enigma!

spinnerofwebs

Arachnopeon
Thank you for the references and the advise. I'm looking up the keepers right now. I was kind of hoping for something with glass, but oh well. Anyway, as per your highlights, I believe you. I went to a pet store about three weeks ago that was absolutely horrible. The didn't even know what kind of T it was, but it was obviously Arboreal, as it was building a web in the upper corner of its empty, long cage. A long short enclosure with no substrate or anything. It was horrible.

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If your determined to stop your T from climbing the glass put vaseline on it. That'll learn it ! Works for roaches.
........uh... really? im not so sure that is the best advise in the world... Not to say it COULDN'T work, just dosent seem safe/sanitary... have you used this method with your ts

Tarac

Arachnolord
........uh... really? im not so sure that is the best advise in the world... Not to say it COULDN'T work, just dosent seem safe/sanitary... have you used this method with your ts
It's not right substance, but yes the idea is right. The USDA uses a paint on Teflon around the rim of kitty litter trays to retain research ant colonies. The trays are open on the top, no lids at all, and are all slid into a rack one over the other. It works very well. I'm positive that it would stop a Tarantula from getting above it since it has no trouble with a wide range of ant genera. Should be able to find it at a hardware store.

That said, I'm putting my vote in for a new cheap enclosure like a plastic shoebox or any of the others recommended by everyone else. One with less area so the substrate you already own will be thicker.

Shrike

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It's not right substance, but yes the idea is right. The USDA uses a paint on Teflon around the rim of kitty litter trays to retain research ant colonies. The trays are open on the top, no lids at all, and are all slid into a rack one over the other. It works very well. I'm positive that it would stop a Tarantula from getting above it since it has no trouble with a wide range of ant genera. Should be able to find it at a hardware store.

That said, I'm putting my vote in for a new cheap enclosure like a plastic shoebox or any of the others recommended by everyone else. One with less area so the substrate you already own will be thicker.
Why are you assuming what works for ants will work for tarantulas? For one thing, ants and tarantulas aren't exactly the same size, generally speaking. Something that constitutes a barrier to an ant might simply be stepped over by a tarantula. Using vaseline or paint to prevent your tarantulas from escaping seems sort of pointless when there are more trusted, established methods for keeping them contained...such as keeping them in appropriately sized, secure enclosures.

Anonymity82

Arachnoprince
Maybe some discipline. Try talking to your pet and explaining how climbing can end up hurting it, thus hurting mommy and daddy. Mommy and daddy don't want to see her get hurt. If she continues to do this, send her to her burrow without supper. If she still continues to defy your rules, a spanking may be in order.

vickywild

Arachnoknight
Don't mean to sound nasty but why take on a pet if you can't afford it? I can only assume if you can't afford $3 for its SAFETY then you can't afford crickets for it either? This might just be me as well, but I'd rather see myself go without for a wee while and ensure that an animal I have willingly taken on gets the care it needs.

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Maybe some discipline. Try talking to your pet and explaining how climbing can end up hurting it, thus hurting mommy and daddy. Mommy and daddy don't want to see her get hurt. If she continues to do this, send her to her burrow without supper. If she still continues to defy your rules, a spanking may be in order.
And i thought ive heard it all lol...this takes the cake