Breeding H. paucidens

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Ok my female finally molted after being in premolt forever. I gave her time to harden up, then have fed her 2 adult male dubia, 2 adult male lateralis, and 2 adult crickets since. (not all at once of course). Anyways I rehoused both her and my male. I gave them some time to get used to their new homes. Then last night I stuck the male in with the female. She seemed extremely interested, and he didnt. After they finally got close enough to eachother, he took ahold of her claws. Then after he pulled her around a little bit, he took her under her hide. He kept hold of her, and was kissing her. Then he started digging with his legs. I figured this is great, he is going to lay some sperm. Then he pulled her out of the hide, and pulled her around her home. I remembered that the male needs a flat rock to lay the sperm on. So i took her hide, which is just two peices of slate hot glued together, and I flipped it over for him to use. After a minute or two, he let go of her and wandered around her home trying to get out. Every time he would come near her, she would try and grab hold of him, but he would just keep going and not pay attention to her. So I just went ahead and took him out. Any ideas on why he isnt very receptive? Any ideas on how i can get him to breed with her? I have been waiting a while for her to molt, and I know i have to wait a year to year and a half for plings, so I want to get them to breed as soon as I can. Thanks for any info or help.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
well she was drumming her pedipalps off the substrate, and following him everywhere.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Maybe a breeding attempt was carried out and you missed it but, don't know if there was enough time. The "digging" you saw is an instinctive behavior to only brush a surface clean of debris so that the spermatophore will stick on the surface. I've noticed, ime, that it's sometimes hard to determine if a female H. paucidens is mature or not, sometimes the penultimate ones look large enough to be adults. But yeah, I haven't seen immature females respond to mating attempts, not over here anyway. Sometimes adults just aren't interested either. I have a couple of adult female H. troglodytes, one molted, mated, had scorplings, and the other mated over a year ago. Now both females don't seem interested. Still hoping the one that hasn't had babies will. She gets fat, skinny, fat, skinny, I just don't know what's going on there, not interested in mating. Sounds like your female was trying to run him off at the end there imo.

happysmile88

Arachnoknight
I remembered that the male needs a flat rock to lay the sperm on. So i took her hide, which is just two peices of slate hot glued together, and I flipped it over for him to use. After a minute or two, he let go of her and wandered around her home trying to get out.
Maybe he got spooked when you took the hide and replaced it?
Anyway if at first you don't succeed... that or cohabit the male.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Only referring to my exp with H. paucidens and H. trogs, but even there I'm don't claim it can't happen, it's only my exp over here. I have heard of other immature scorpions appearing to go through the mating ritual though.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
well i kept a close eye on them the entire time. but anything is possible. any suggestions you can make? maybe i should stick another peice of slate in there just flat on the substrate. it seemed like he was pulling her around, like he was trying to find a flat rock, and taking her with him...thanks for your help
Maybe a breeding attempt was carried out and you missed it but, don't know if there was enough time. The "digging" you saw is an instinctive behavior to only brush a surface clean of debris so that the spermatophore will stick on the surface. I've noticed, ime, that it's sometimes hard to determine if a female H. paucidens is mature or not, sometimes the penultimate ones look large enough to be adults. But yeah, I haven't seen immature females respond to mating attempts, not over here anyway. Sometimes adults just aren't interested either. I have a couple of adult female H. troglodytes, one molted, mated, had scorplings, and the other mated over a year ago. Now both females don't seem interested. Still hoping the one that hasn't had babies will. She gets fat, skinny, fat, skinny, I just don't know what's going on there, not interested in mating. Sounds like your female was trying to run him off at the end there imo.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Over here I use a separate container for breeding scorpions or Scolopendra centipedes. I cover the bottom with flat rocks as much as I can, sand is filling the gaps, kind of like making a tile floor. I used a paint brush to sweep the flat rocks clean and fill the gaps. Then I create hides with other flat rocks leaning on each other. It gives them a better enviro for all that and you can watch everything easier.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
ok that sounds good...i might have to try that. how long did you leave yours together. since they arent communal, i wouldnt want to try leaving them overnight. thanks
Over here I use a separate container for breeding scorpions or Scolopendra centipedes. I cover the bottom with flat rocks as much as I can, sand is filling the gaps, kind of like making a tile floor. I used a paint brush to sweep the flat rocks clean and fill the gaps. Then I create hides with other flat rocks leaning on each other. It gives them a better enviro for all that and you can watch everything easier.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
If something doesn't happen within the first minute after they make contact, I take one out and try later. I don't leave them alone, maybe to go get something out of the fridge or something like that. But I basically sit to make sure it goes OK then I take the male out after it's over and she slaps him around a little haha. The female runs him off.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
ok man that sounds good. ill give it a try. thanks....sucks having waited all this time on her to molt. she was in premolt when i got her. and then knowing how long it takes to get plings. and now they arent getting to it, like i had hoped.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
But you're still not 100% that she's mature right? I had one I thought was mature, a year later it molted but carpenter ants snuck in at night and ripped it apart before it was through:mad: It'd help a lot to post pics of her next to the male but don't know if you are able to do that. Also, I might try raising their temps 5 degrees a day before I tried again and see how it goes.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
this is a pic i took while they were together. im not sure if she has had her ultimate molt or not though. Do they have to have their ultimate molt with all scorpions?

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yeah I'd sure guess that female to be mature. Strange looking scorpions imo. Not much luck mating on that sub though lol, I'd make a flat rock floor. It'd be like sticking tape on powder using that kind of sub there in the pic.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
ok man ill do that...do you think i should make 1 breeding container, or just make hers completely flatrock?

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Well, I'd make both of them for flatrocks haha. I have a female in the container I usually breed them in right now, she seems comfy there under a rock. We are so used to using coco sub for almost everything but these things live in rocky crevices, on cliffs around dry drainage areas going by what I read. But yeah, I think what you're getting at is should you drop the male in the female's container or the female into the males container(?) I always drop the male in the females container, I do that with all the scorpions I've had, but I do it the other way around with pedes.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
ok that sounds good. I actually thought you meant like a breeding tub. and then place both of them in it. but yeah maybe ill just leave the coco/sand mix under, then cover it with layers of slate, and add some wacky crevices for them...do you think that when he quit digging, and started pulling her around, that he was looking for some flat rock? kinda seemed that way. I also wanted to fatten her up some like he is, but for some reason after 2 adult male dubia, 2 adult male lats, and 2 adult crickets, she isnt as fat as I imagined..thanks