Hissers a Bad feeder?? Any Alternative?

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I hear hissers have too hard of a shell for a lot of Ts to eat... Are they Safe for 7" inch + Ts???...
I also hear a T can Break a fang on a Hisser.. what size T does this apply to?
are Discoids a large alternative??? to Hissers
Any other alternatives (excluding dubias) for a Large roach feeder will be thanked!! :cool:

While I have a lot of expereince with Ts.. I only have owned roaches for 2 months.... Im no expert on roaches
I already have a Dubia colony going strong 100 adults - 300-400 juvies/ babies & NEED a second Larger Feeder

NOTE:.. I have 50 or so Ts.. that get 7"+ some get up to 10" inches
Large adult sizes for almost all my Ts

Last edited:

Shrike

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Nauphoeta cinerea, aka lobster roaches, are somewhat popular as feeders.

Hornets inverts

Arachnobaron
they are a great feeder and the only roach we can get in australia as a feeder but they are too small for large t's, a 3-4in t will take adults no worries, anything more than that you need to be feeding multiples per feed

---------- Post added 01-20-2012 at 12:33 AM ----------

lobsters that is

Shrike

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hornets inverts;1983265they are a great feeder and the only roach we can get in australia as a feeder but they are too small for large t's said:
---------- Post added 01-20-2012 at 12:33 AM ----------

[/COLOR]lobsters that is
Good point. They certainly don't get as big as hissers.

arachnofitz

Arachnosquire
ive been giving my a.gniculata hissez.. there ok with that so far.. i havent heard any problems so far with thier t's eating hessers as well... is it true tho that hissers are not very good feeders??

Shrike

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
For a large A. geniculata I don't think a hisser would pose a problem. For a smaller tarantula, however, the size of an adult hisser, along with the spines on the legs could be an issue. If you had a breeding colony you could always use the immature nymphs as feeders. I don't think that hissers are unacceptable feeders so much as there are better options out there (like B. dubia).

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Why do you need a second feeder? Just get more dubia...

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have fed Adult hissers to the largest Theraphosa and I wouldnt do it again.
Hissers exoskeleton is extremely hard, the sharp ends of it could very well damage the tarantulas mouth-quelicera area.

No reason to risk it. If you want to give your T a menu treat give her fat female crickets once in a while.

jim777

Arachnosquire
I haven't had a need to use roaches but I don't see why you'd have an issue with properly gut loaded dubias. If the T wants 2, give it 2 - what's the problem? As long as your spiders are getting hte nutrition they need I wouldn't bother with getting them the biggest thing out there, especially given the added expense and the possibility of injury to the spider inherent in the hissers.

arachnofitz

Arachnosquire
good point... i guess i better start breeding my dubias.. what do you feed them? or, whats the best food for them??