Substrate

Everway9

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Gday all!

Just a quick question. When using potting compost as a substrate for my Grammostola pulchripes sling (appx 1 inch legspan) should I put the compost through a sieve to remove the larger bits? I'm planning on rehousing in a couple of days from a deli cup sizes container to a larger one.

Thanks in advance.

Huzi

Arachnopeon
1st of all why are you using compost?isn't it harmful to Ts?rather stick to peat moss or coco fiber ,these allow for easy burrowing ,do not form lumps so there is no need to sieve and are much safer for Ts .

Everway9

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi Huzi.

Thanks for the reply.

Sorry. I misinformed you. I am not using compost but potting soil (which was recommended by a fellow forum member). It has no fertiliser or any chemicals in it that I know of. I'm using it in my slings current container. I sieved it to get only the really small bits for the sling as it was so very tiny (appx 1cm legspan at the most). I steamed the soil for a good while to kill any nasties and left it to cool before using it. My sling seems to be fine with it at present.

I'm wondering now that its much bigger will it be ok with the larger bits found in the potting soil? I have vermiculite also but was told not to use that. I could go and buy some peat moss and/or coco fibre if required though.

P.S. what would you recommend for a Mysore Ornamental? This sling needs rehousing soon also. Its about 2 inch in legspan now.

Thanks again.

hamhock 74

Arachnobaron
Same substrate for the Ornamental is fine and what do you mean by larger bits in the potting soil, like pieces of twigs/bark because that'll be fine just take out anything that excessively large. On another note I find the prices of peat or coconut fibre to be much cheaper than most commercial organic/ chemical free potting soil.

Everway9

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yeah, sorry, I did mean pieces of twig and bark. I will use the soil for now as I dont have much left and dont need much either. Then I think I will follow your advice and buy some peat moss and/or coco fibre.

Cheers.

CitizenCrack

Arachnopeon
I thought so, I've been checking them out as I want a smithi and auratum. I live in the channel islands and have emailed them asking if they'll post there and they said yes so I'll go with them, works out well since I can get all the kit to raise a sling too. Just hope slings can survive an over the water flight! Anyway cheers for the info and I'll leave you to your thread!

Huzi

Arachnopeon
e I have vermiculite also but was told not to use that.

P.S. what would you recommend for a Mysore Ornamental? This sling needs rehousing soon also. Its about 2 inch in legspan now.

Thanks again.
Yes do not use vermiculite it could get stuck to the spiders book lungs and kill them and if in digested could cause impactation and could result in death.

I keep all of my pokies on peat moss but like u said the potting soil you using has no fertilizer or chemicals so that would do.

Hornets inverts

Arachnobaron
i was under the impression that potting mix was quite a dangerous choice for housing t's, i have been told that many potting mix manafacturers add nematodes to the mix to help control plant pests

Everway9

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks for the replies.

Would steaming the soil kill any nematodes?

Why do some people use vermiculite or a mix including vermiculite for their T's?

Huzi

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the replies.

Why do some people use vermiculite or a mix including vermiculite for their T's?
They use it because it holds moisture for longer and does not promote the growth of fungus .

If you want to use vermiculite then place a thin layer at the bottom of the enclosure and over it place your peat/coco fibre/potting soil etc