Questions about what tarantula to get housing questions and more!!

Chicken Farmer

Arachnosquire
hi, im new! i have 5 fish tanks, and thought whats 1 more? only with a tarantula! i would like advice on what tanks/cages and what kind are good beginners.

first, when the T is big enough to live in a tank will a 10 gallon be okay? i also have this tank. http://pet.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pPETS-3761288t400.jpg it might be good for a terrestrial/ burrowing kind.

so which will be a good permanent adult cage as i will probably get spiderlings. i have also been thinking about those cubes people have been using. i would like to start with 2.

next, what type of tarantula? i want 2 that will not be aggressive and will tolerate being held.

the types i am interested in are B. smithi and B. albopilosum. what are some others you suggest?

who is good to buy from? i was thinking swift inverts. plus i would get a freebie. except i did not see B. smithi on the list.

now if i get a spiderling 1/4-1/2 inch how often and what do i feed? what type of container is good to start with? i read a deli container is good, but may be to big right now.

anyway, any info would be great. Thank-you

ps, how much would a b. smithi spiderling cost average?

Amoeba

Arachnolord
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/sho...ck-Reference-guide-to-answer-common-questions

A medium kritter keeper is good for most adult terrestrials. I find a 10 gal to be over kill for 5-6" spiders. I use these for my terrestrials http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/00/07/31/49/92/0007314992210_500X500.jpg

Any thing in the Brachypelma genus will be fine, Aphonopelma is a cheaper option, Grammostola, Avicularia, and Eupalaestrus are all good genera for beginners

Read the review section way at the bottom for peoples history. Most of my collection has come from other hobbyists.

I feed my slings once a week. A sauce cup is great for slings for a few months http://i01.i.aliimg.com/photo/v0/272331345/1_5_OZ_PS_Sauce_Cup.jpg

I generally see B smithi at about $30 but you can get them for less especially from hobbyists.

Chicken Farmer

Arachnosquire
thanks for the fast reply. i do have a medium kritter keeper for an adult cool. when petco have 1 dollar a gallon tank i could get a 5 gal, and screen or make a top.

so just that sauce cup, k, thats easy.

i have a 30 dollar budget including shipping, so i might not be able to get a b. smithii also. i was thinking swift because i could get the b. albopilosum for free. i guess i will go look on the bst here.

now how much and what do you like to feed yours?

could i feed them roaches as spiderlings?

Amoeba

Arachnolord
depending on the size of the spiderling here is a very general guide: cricket leg(s) (~.5)--> half a large cricket/ one small cricket (~.75-2") ---> whole large cricket (~2-3") ---> 2 or 3 large crickets (Adult)

I will also feed meal/super worms as a treat my Avic won't tong feed them though.

You could feed roaches but I have no experience with them yet but everything can be cut up. I don't know how cost effective roaches are with a small collection.

Chicken Farmer

Arachnosquire
how wet do i need it for Brachypelma? is 73 degrees okay or warmer?

all the b. smithis's are 30 at least so i think i am going to order a 1/4 inch hondran curly hair from swift's. from what i read the are docile and are okay with being held if u get a nice one. maybe i will get a smithi later.

Chicken Farmer

Arachnosquire
i forgot about the minimum. well unless they have b. smithi i will get a curly hair from someone else.

i would get a few, but i don't have room for a spider collection also. i was pulled into the darkside of fish keeping, and i can't let that happen with T's. i don't have room and i am practically broke. but once i get a couple i am sure that will happen. ihave been thinking about downgrading fish tanks...

also, why i don't want a few, is live food. the only reliable petstore with crickets and millworms, is 15 miles away. to get the good deal the other petstore is 31 miles away. theres a bait and tackle store with crickets but they have them on and off.

i have read that you can cut crickets up and feed, but some tarantulas won't take them. i like watching them eat.

Amoeba

Arachnolord
This hobby is very easy to get addicted to...I went from one to two....to six in my first month.

I bought 100 ct of superworms about 6 months ago and I probably still have 20ish left after a bit of a die off in the start. Mealworms can be put in the fridge and will last longer. I buy half a dozen crickets maybe once a month and feed once or twice off of those.

I've given my adults/sub adults live crickets and they won't take them, sometimes they aren't in the mood to eat. I've only seen my H incei kill a live cricket and even then I had crushed its jaws. Cutting up is more effective to me than flightless fruit flies.

Chicken Farmer

Arachnosquire
thanks for all the help!

i am waiting for replies on a couple sling, i pm'd about. so in the next few days i may have 1 ordered!!

do pin head crickets work for slings?