Desert hairy!!!

miaboosted4g64

Arachnosquire
just got myself a desert hairy and wondered how you guys have them set up best substrate,hides,decor.
also can i keep more then one together,ca they be handled?

p.s thanks in advance not a noob to scorpions just to desert hairy

Ludedor24

FangzTv
Old Timer
Keep them on the dry side they are usually prone to mycosis. There have been people that have kept communal although they can be agressive towards eachother. As far as handling i guess you could if you wanted to but really no need to..I mean you could handle a deathstalker also ..I dont know what your asking in particular....

miaboosted4g64

Arachnosquire
if i did get stung is it life treating ?
if i cant keep them communal how would i go about breeding?
can i use 100% sand ?

Ludedor24

FangzTv
Old Timer
No not life threatening but just be careful when handling anything with venom. Im not saying you dont know anything but you may want to do A LOT more research on scorpions in general before considering breeding them. yeah 100% should be fine.

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They are absolutely not communal. They aren't even tolerant of the opposite sex, given many hides, space, and food. Some people have written tolerance for a given time but cannibalism is inevitable. I even attempted this today with my 1.1 adult pallidus, to have a fight break out.

They are handlable, I've done it with H. arizonensis and pallidus. You just have to get them on your hand the correct way.

theguns19726

Arachnosquire
Thats awesome, I JUST got my Desert Hairy today, got a little scar on his tail but hes in good shape otherwise. Glad I placed my order for him.

Keister

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
There have been alot of problems that people run into with breeding and raising them, they seem to all just die in their 6i and 7i. Alot of people try breeding them and alot of people from what I know and have read have them die. I keep a pair together and they seem to be doing just fine, because I am trying to breed them, and they just hang out in their own seperate hides and when they dig into one another they lock claws for a few secounds then turn around and close off the tunnel. I also keep mine well fed to combat the cannibalism.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I went out to the desert and picked up some substrate that way. Some people buy that red desert substrate, wet it down and pack it, then let it dry. I don't think it's the "calcium sand" people have brought up, but on a side note, I don't think people should worry about calcium sand with rumors of it harming their inverts. Inverts are running around in nature all over powdery calcium rock in the wild, esp. here in the Tx hill country, it's the limestone bedrock, it's basically calcium. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limestone

miaboosted4g64

Arachnosquire
There have been alot of problems that people run into with breeding and raising them, they seem to all just die in their 6i and 7i. Alot of people try breeding them and alot of people from what I know and have read have them die. I keep a pair together and they seem to be doing just fine, because I am trying to breed them, and they just hang out in their own seperate hides and when they dig into one another they lock claws for a few secounds then turn around and close off the tunnel. I also keep mine well fed to combat the cannibalism.
why do you think they just die?
as anybody here bred them we success i got it hoping to breed them and have a communal setup i have a communal emp setup and the girl is prego and i just got a pair of bark scorpion and the girl gave me 13 babies if i cant keep them communal what other type can i keep communal ?

Keister

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
A guy wrote an article on another forum saying that he believes that in the wild they go through the winter season where the temp. cools down alot and this cool period is essential to their growth. He then started cooling his scorps off when they got into their 6i and 7i and had much sucess with keeping them alive into maturity and final molt.

miaboosted4g64

Arachnosquire
A guy wrote an article on another forum saying that he believes that in the wild they go through the winter season where the temp. cools down alot and this cool period is essential to their growth. He then started cooling his scorps off when they got into their 6i and 7i and had much sucess with keeping them alive into maturity and final molt.
would you have a link ?
what other type can i keep communal ?

superuglyllc

Arachnoknight
in the wild they can adjust for humidity by going deeper into ground to molt . i can imagine the bigger the scorp the harder the molt, needing perfect humidity for it to succeed

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
That is an interesting concept since I live in Phoenix and we have desert hairies that live here in the wild. The nights really get cold, temps down to freezing - so they are okay in the colder weather. You have to figure the average humidity is also about 7% outside where they live. I rarely see scorpions at night during the "winter". They come out when the temperature heats up during the day then switch to night in the heat of spring and summer. This is just a totally unscientific observation...lol.

Keister

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That is an interesting concept since I live in Phoenix and we have desert hairies that live here in the wild. The nights really get cold, temps down to freezing - so they are okay in the colder weather. You have to figure the average humidity is also about 7% outside where they live. I rarely see scorpions at night during the "winter". They come out when the temperature heats up during the day then switch to night in the heat of spring and summer. This is just a totally unscientific observation...lol.
Ya it deffinatly sounds logical since most people don't simulate a winter period for their scorps. and it may in fact have a link to growth.

No I don't have the link I googled breeding them or how to breed them or somthing. You will know it when you find it because it is a really long post talking about care and natural environment and everything not just breeding.

Keister

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You can just make sure that you have a big enough enclosure, enough hides, and you keep them well fed as to try to reduce caniblism. I am only keeping mine together until I find a sperm stem.