Chilean rose haired tarantula not moving?

Aquacat

Arachnosquire
I hope I'm overreacting, but I bought and brought a full grown female home yesterday night and since she has been hiding in her cave, and hasn't moved. I'm just wondering if this is normal, because she's probably super stressed. She is my first tarantula, and I'm just nervous and want her to be okay. Could the room be too cold for her? Thanks!

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
Give her time to settle in. G. rosea do have a reputation for being pet rocks though, mine hardly ever moves unless it's to eat.

As for temp, if you're comfortable in it (not all bundled up) then she will be just fine.

Aquacat

Arachnosquire
That's a relief, thanks! I'm also wondering when would be a good time to try and feed her?

Shell

Staff member

Vespula

Arachnodemon
Welcome to the hobby! Sitting still is pretty normal for a G. rosea. Give it a few days, then feel free to feed her. Be forewarned, they can fast for a long period of time, this is normal. :)

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
yes G rosea are pet rocks ...my B vagans & pokies are much more active...

the Atacama Desert is pretty harsh.... if yoy were a spider that lived there im sure you wouldnt move much either.. conserve energy to the extreem!:coffee:
Any spider that lives there is tuff as Nails.... hardy .. very hardy ..

Aquacat

Arachnosquire
Thanks for all the info! I'm glad it's a normal thing. I was also wondering if a taller terrarium would be dangerous to her? I eventually want to transport her into a new tarrarium, but it's 30cm tall. I'm scared she could climb up and fall down and get seriously injured. Should I just keep her in the shorter little kritter keeper?

Shell

Staff member
If you decide to put her in somthing taller, you want to make sure it's mostly filled with substrate. Basically if the tip of a front leg is touching the top of the enclosure, you want the tip of the back leg to be pretty much touching the substrate, which can be a pain in the butt with a tall enclosure. That will ensure the spiders safety if it does try to climb, it can't get up high and fall.

If it were me, I would keep it what it's in, or something similar. I use sterilite shoebox tubs for most of my terrestrials.

mmfh

Arachnobaron
Lol instead of being a pet rock mine has been moving the whole length of her enclosure several times a day lately......she is making me very nervous!