Video of OBT grooming while handling

Dr Acula

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Requested by JanesLastResort

I do not suggest doing this to any beginners. Different specimens have different personalities, in a sense, and will therefore act accordingly to that "personality". I've raised him from a sling and know that he's a tad more on the docile side once out of his enclosure. He's actually more timid than my B smithi...who thinks HE'S an OBT {D

http://www.flickr.com/photos/75271533@N02/6768828029/in/photostream

Vespula

Arachnodemon
Awesome! He seems like a sweetheart. I wish my Electra was that sweet... but I'm too scared to put my hand in that little spitfire's tank.

Dr Acula

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
He is :) too bad he won't be with me as long as if he were a she though :/ there's no way I'd put my hand in his enclosure either though. I brush him up to the lid, and let him crawl onto my hand on his own free will :p

Theist 17

Arachnosquire
That's pretty much the single coolest tarantula video I have seen so far. Beautiful spider, my friend.

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Awesome! He is totally comfortable hanging out there on your hand and grooming! Definitely a beautiful T.
My nearly adult male OBT is on the, um, timid side, too. (I wonder if I should have named him Bert Lahr...) He's never thrown a threat pose or displayed any other form of defensiveness. Still wouldn't attempt to handle him, though. :)

Anonymity82

Arachnoprince
Wow, I hope mine does that when it grows up. Did you sing to it and play soothing music? Read it bedtime stories? How did you get such a calm little guy?! No fair!

---------- Post added 01-26-2012 at 11:46 PM ----------

Awesome! He is totally comfortable hanging out there on your hand and grooming! Definitely a beautiful T.
My nearly adult male OBT is on the, um, timid side, too. (I wonder if I should have named him Bert Lahr...) He's never thrown a threat pose or displayed any other form of defensiveness. Still wouldn't attempt to handle him, though. :)
My little guy ~1" hasn't thrown any threat displays, however it's too young to tell. I've heard they can change through molts.

Dr Acula

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Wow, I hope mine does that when it grows up. Did you sing to it and play soothing music? Read it bedtime stories? How did you get such a calm little guy?! No fair!
Hahaha i don't know, I just had him chilling out on my hand and then all of a sudden, he's sucking on his feet XD I'd have to say, those fangs moving back and forth was alittle unnerving, being so close to my skin x.x

Anonymity82

Arachnoprince
Hahaha i don't know, I just had him chilling out on my hand and then all of a sudden, he's sucking on his feet XD I'd have to say, those fangs moving back and forth was alittle unnerving, being so close to my skin x.x
I bet. I got nervous when my G. rosea did that. I would need a diaper if I was holding one of those lol. Especially after reading the bite reports on them.

Dr Acula

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
{D In the other half of the video, which had to be trimmed unfortunately, you can see the fangs and how close they were to my palm..they were sweating big time at that point lol
yea there's a fairly recent bite report that was pretty serious

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Great showing of how T personality varies... I held my king baboon 3" juvie.. I was not scared at all.. I am not afraid of any spider that does.. not bear fangs !!! or wear bear paws! :laugh:

Dr Acula

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'll probably be posting it to youtube since there aren't any videos like this on there. Kinda gives the perspective of how we see Ts in an understandable way to people who fear them...hopefully.

HoboAustin

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
That's awesome. Their coloration is cool, too. I can't wait until my sling gets big :p

AlexRC

Arachnopeon
Awesome vid bro! It really does show true variation of personality/character. I'd rather watch something like this than kittens rolling on their backs any day.

Dr Acula

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That's awesome. Their coloration is cool, too. I can't wait until my sling gets big :p
It's pretty awesome watching them get their adult colors :)

Awesome vid bro! It really does show true variation of personality/character. I'd rather watch something like this than kittens rolling on their backs any day.
Thank you! YouTube seems to be littered with kitten videos. no pun intended {D

Rob1985

This user has no status.
Very nice! My 2" OBT shares the same temperament. Thanks for sharing!