Is my G.rosea too fat?

Louis Winthorpe III

Arachnopeon
Below I have a picture from October last year, and the other is from last night. As you can see, her abdomen is quite a bit larger. She doesn't eat much, only about one cricket every 1-1/2 weeks or so. Is her enlarged abdomen a sign of something else going on, or am I just being paranoid?

Attachments

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You're feeding it too much. Stop feeding until the abdomen either loses some of its size, or the spider molts.

vickywild

Arachnoknight
My juevinile is the same. Shes a fatty mc fat fat.

I just dont offer her as much food as I used to and I *think* her abdomen is shrinking..although I can't be sure.

Louis Winthorpe III

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the quick replies. I didn't think I was feeding her that much. I was under the impression slings ate more than adults, and she only wants food every 1 to 2 weeks. I didn't think she was getting enough food. I guess I was wrong. >.<

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
G. rosea grow incredibly slowly and don't need to eat as often.

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
They don't eat much.
I've been caring for a tiny G. rosea second instar (now third) sling since september, and have fed it four times so far. :)

vickywild

Arachnoknight
Theres a guy (or there was a guy) selling a rosie on Gumtree, and in its description he says that "it only needs to eat 3 times a year." I was shocked! I mean, I know they don't eat much, christ I had Brody for 8 years and she probably ate a handful of crickets in that time but to only OFFER 3 times a year?