Question regarding P. irminia

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Hey guys,

I'm new to the hobby, but I did my share of research before I even considered getting my first T's. Now, since one of them will be a P.irminia spiderling, I've found some infos that actually differ.

I know they are lightening fast, defensive and love to throw threat-postures, but what kinda startled me was the fact that the information from jon3800 and RobC regarding the venom strength of the Nikespider differs greatly.

According to RobC:
P.irminia tend to have a reputation as being quite aggressive and are prone to threat displays. They do not possess urticating hairs.
This tarantula is certainly not for the beginner - they are lightening fast and will not back down. Their venom is among the most potent of all tarantulas (similiar to the Poecilotheria genus, whom they are mostly closely related to) and could require a trip to an emergency room.
This is not a tarantula you want to get bit by so I do NOT recommend holding this species.

According to Jon3800:
He actually mentioned in his videos about the species that the venom isn't that strong really, sure stronger than Grammostola, Avicularia or all the other "general" T's, but certainly weaker than Poeci. The bitereports I read also suggested that the venom is not as strong as Poeci venom. I'm kinda lost here and before you wonder: I am just asking out of pure curiosity what to expect IF anything like that ever happens. I certainly will avoid pissing my specimen off and neither will I ever consider handling her by intent.

Considering there's a lot of controversy still if this spider is really a NW or OW, I'd like to know about it.

Hence - can someone shed some light into this for me, please?

Thanks,
Jan

happysmile88

Arachnoknight
Its a NW T. Venom affects people differently, I wouldn't take their word for it unless they've experienced a bite from it themselves and I'm pretty sure they haven't been bitten yet to make definitive claims.The bite report section of the forum is really your best bet. (You probably already read it but here's a link) [Linky] I'm sure first hand accounts of people being bitten would give you a better insight as to what you're trying to find out. First hand experience is way better than assertions and assumptions. Also check out the bite reports for P.cambridgei, P.pulcher, & P.reduncus as venom potency would be likely similar.

BTW P.irminia aren't really aggressive from my experience, but they are quite protective of their homes/hides. If you don't want threat displays from a P.irminia, I recommend to not place the mouth/opening of their hide in front of where you open your enclosure. Otherwise, you will most often be greeted by an angry tarantula.

Last edited:

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Thanks, I'll check the bitereports again. According to the breeder I'm getting mine from, they are actually not that defensive, yes. As for your hint there, I already placed the cork bark to one of the sides of the tank, the only thing I need to keep in mind once it arrives and has moved into that tank, is actually to be prepared for a flash to come out suddenly feeling disturbed :) But since I know about it, I'm pretty sure I'll be fine.

/EDIT: Yep, I've read those reports before, that's what made me think "Huh?" when I read RobC's caresheet on the species. Granted: Everyone reacts different to spidervenom plus it could be a dry-bite, or a near to one.

Last edited:

bchbum11

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've actually been curious about this myself. I've read several threads that have implied psalmos have quite strong venom, but the bite reports don't really back it up. Maybe RobC meant they have some of the strongest venom of the new world species? That would make sense from an evolutionary viewpoint, due to the lack of U hairs. If you compare the psalmo reports to other new world species, there does seem to be a jump in venom potency. They still don't seem to compare to any of the reports from old world species though. Of course, that could have something to do with the fact that the vast majority of posted reports were bites from sling/juvie spiders. Does anyone have any experience with this that hasn't been posted in the bite reports section? I don't plan on getting bitten either, but it would be nice to know.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Yep, same reason for me. I'm just curious about it because the bite reports don't back up what RobC wrote about the venom. Actually, I'd seriously like to know from where -he- has that information because I can't find any hint on the net regarding the strength of venom. Would be interesting for keepers to know about it :)

GregorSamsa

Arachnosquire
Well I've not been tagged, but I can speak for the behavior of my irminia- VERY defensive. The day I received it, it maintained a threat display throughout the entire unpacking/rehousing process and then for another 30+minutes. Throws me a little something when I access enclosure for upkeep (removing prey, watering).

Love it.

Attachments

Last edited:

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
P. irminia is a NW tarantula.
I wouldn't place too much weight on any "facts" from Robc.

crawltech

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
P. irminas venom is prolly on the stronger side,...you must remeber tho, poeple react differently to venoms...it might send one person to th ER, as where, someone else might not be as effected by it...kind like beez..some people could die when bit, and some barkey swell....

...like mentioned above....check out da bite reports on this sp.

....and, what Hobo said

matt82

Arachnoknight
From what I have read, Psalmopoeus venom is of the type that has a similar affect to capsaicin, so perhaps would be like getting injected with some Habenero juice!
:mad:

(as far as I can remember it was Psalmopoeus anyway)