Cats and Tarantulas

Robotponys

Arachnoknight
Could a cat be killed by any of these tarantulas?

-C. elegans
-A. metallica
-G. rosea
-H. incei

If possible, a real website would help, but any response would be good. Thanks.

P.S. don't just link me to other threads please, I've read them but they are not about these specific species (except the G. rosea). My cats are lean, fast, small, black cats with 0 experience with other small animals. They are VERY healthy however and quite jumpy. These T's will all be tiny slings, except the G. rosea I already have.

---------- Post added 02-01-2012 at 09:07 PM ----------

Oh, and they eat anything and don't mind oranges/citrus so that won't work. I can't have another room for the Ts and they aren't allowed to be locked out. Spray bottles work, but not when I'm asleep or at school.

Theist 17

Arachnosquire
I'd recommend keeping the tarantulas in a cabinet if you're worried about your cats.

But, honestly, I would be more concerned about the tarantulas than the cats.

Robotponys

Arachnoknight
I will try, but I have one bookshelf to myself, and no I cannot fix a "door" on to it. I think it may be safe, there is an aquarium next to it, but i dont know...

The thing is, my parents don't want more T's since they are scared of it biting the cats and killing it. So I need good evidence to get more T's. :(

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
None of those will kill your cat. Those are just 8-legged toys to your cat,and will not last long.

Robotponys

Arachnoknight
Thanks. I guess I could say no cat or human has ever been killed by a New World tarantula. I know they cannot escape from their cages, but the maintenance could cause problems. They are incredibly stubborn and close-minded. Hmm, does anyone have experience writing articles? Maybe someone should write one about New World tarantulas NOT killing cats or permanently injuring them. Maybe I will just make one up with information based off research.

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Why would a "website" pass as a credible source?

I wouldn't be too positive in saying a cat has never been killed by a NW tarantula. I've read about urticating hairs being so noxious to rodents they can kill them if haired in the face. I certainly wouldn't want a cat haired by a large Pamphobeteus or Theraphosa, or bitten for that matter.

That said, I agree with other comments that the tarantulas are what you should really be worried about. There should be some kind of barrier between them...a cabinet, a closet, even just a plastic tub with a top. There are too many posts about tarantulas dying from cats knocking the enclosure off a shelf.

Robotponys

Arachnoknight
I really don't know. I don't think Wikipedia is Bette than opinions from the forums (well most of them :p), but my parents do not do research or anything and don't know the value of forums. Plus, it is only my step-dad who is worried, even my mom ha been convinced they are tiny. If I had hard cold evidence (copy and paste some opinions from here, which I am doing since I found a thread with a cat bitten. It's leg swelled for a few days and it was fine.) via email I'm sure they would let me. Yes I am going to keep them in a plastic shoebox with a metal rack direct above it Just one thing, what should I use to poke holes for a tiny c. Elegans? They are a little bigger than this "," comma I think.

I am sticking to dwarf/avicularia NW tarantulas. And a g. Rosea, but she is 4 in, slow, and nasty. Not much danger from what I hear.

Shrike

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
As others have stated, I'd be worried about the tarantulas, not the cat. One serious swipe at a tarantula and they're going to be missing a few legs, if not worse. Even with more medically significant species, the tarantula will be in a losing battle.

I also have a cat so I can relate to your worries. I have my tarantulas set up on a shelving system I purchased at IKEA. The shelves are adjustable and I have them set up such that my enclosures can slide in and the top is almost flush with the shelf above it. I keep other supplies on the bottom shelf. I have a couple tarantulas on the very top of the shelving unit, along side a couple of house plants. My cat has never tried to jump up there because of these obstructions. Maybe I just have a good cat...

jbm150

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My cats have always found the crickets to be infinitely more attractive than tarantulas. But if you keep the containers on a shelf they can get on, there's a good chance they'll knock 'em off on accident or out of mischief. The impact may kill the T before the cat gets a chance to

As for a source for the information you're looking for, I'm not sure you're going to find it. I don't believe the bites from those species would be a danger to your cats but as has been said, the hairs could. I suppose to the point of blindness. At the very least, you're potentially looking at some expensive vet bills....

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I really don't know. I don't think Wikipedia is Bette than opinions from the forums (well most of them :p), but my parents do not do research or anything and don't know the value of forums. Plus, it is only my step-dad who is worried, even my mom ha been convinced they are tiny. If I had hard cold evidence (copy and paste some opinions from here, which I am doing since I found a thread with a cat bitten. It's leg swelled for a few days and it was fine.) via email I'm sure they would let me. Yes I am going to keep them in a plastic shoebox with a metal rack direct above it Just one thing, what should I use to poke holes for a tiny c. Elegans? They are a little bigger than this "," comma I think.

I am sticking to dwarf/avicularia NW tarantulas. And a g. Rosea, but she is 4 in, slow, and nasty. Not much danger from what I hear.
There is no "hard, cold evidence" as far as I know. You might ask your veterinarian if there is a website for vets that's something like PubMed, then do a search for any reports containing both cat and tarantula.

However, of all the thousands of enthusiasts who keep or have kept tarantulas over the last 50 or 60 years, of all the tarantulas that have been kept, of all the postings and responses that I've seen on this and 6 or 8 other forums, I've never, ever heard of a cat being bit by a tarantula, much less suffering any ill effects. Ditto for getting the urticating bristles in their eyes. Not that it isn't possible. Anything's possible. But, it's apparently exceedingly improbable.

It sounds a lot like you're under age 18 and still living at home with your parents. When you live in their house, eat their food, sleep in their bed, drive their car (?), etc., etc., etc., they own the air you breathe! Especially if you're not yet 18 years old. If it comes down to you and your tarantulas against them and their cats, guess who wins the contest? Though it pains me, my suggestion is that you somehow dispose of the tarantulas. Give them to a friend, take them back to the pet shop, sell them at a reptile show, etc. And, wait until you're old enough that you can get your own place and set up your hobby without damaging your relationship with your parents or offending them. Don't be in a big hurry to do everything you ever wanted to do before you turn 21. Leave a few little things on your bucket list for your 20s, 30s, maybe even your 40s if you live that long. :sarcasm: :biggrin:

Oh, you didn't think there was life after 29? Have I got a surprise for you! :roflmao:

Last edited:

jbm150

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
my suggestion is that you somehow dispose of the tarantulas
I don't think that's necessary, I think she's more than capable of keeping the Ts in a manner that will minimize encounters with the cats. She just has to be smart and dilligent about it. Now, if her parents make the decision they don't want the risk or to have them in the house, well, then yes, she sould respect that. But if she can take the necessary steps and prove she can be responsible with them, I think that's worth it.

I just reread robotpony's post, so you don't have these Ts yet and want to add more to your collection. Convincing your parents to allow more is going to be tougher than convincing them to allow you to keep what you already have. In that case, it will ultimately be up to them.

Last edited:

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Only large old worlders, possibly 6" OBT / or very large pokies would cause damage to a cat.
bite from a 8-11" spider would hurt big time.. hairs would irritate the cat
Tarantulas are very tuff but... most Ts would run for dear life if they saw a cat:eek:
a large 16 pound+ cat would still probably make short work of most Ts ..except maybe T blondi , lasiodoras, pamphos
if the cat has claws. No T stands a chance :o_O: cats are feirce preditors, they have been known to eat scorpions.
some cats might run from a huge spider if its Defensive enough.. small Ts are just snacks though

Last edited:

Jared781

Arachnobaron
Leo - My F3 Savannah - 16% Serval

dude!! you have nothing to worry about
just keep them in a save place like a cabinet, or something similar
trust me..... your situation is not worse than mine

(he was 6 months old here.. hes turns 1 on the 23rd)
Leo
View attachment 98818 View attachment 98819
---
and this is what he was bred from

(Serval)
http://www.google.ca/imgres?q=serva...=204&ndsp=15&ved=1t:429,r:10,s:40&tx=45&ty=37

http://www.google.ca/imgres?q=serva...rt=40&ndsp=15&ved=1t:429,r:3,s:40&tx=84&ty=56

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
My cats have always found the crickets to be infinitely more attractive than tarantulas.
This is exactly the same with my cats, the only time either of them bother with the tarantulas is if there's a cricket in an enclosure. Otherwise, they sit and watch the cricket tub all the time.

The tarantula would be at much more risk from the cat, than the other way around. The species listed by the OP wouldn't concern me as far as bite goes. As already said by others, the hairs could pose a risk for a cat. Especially if they got haired in the face, which would likely be where the would get it if they were messing with a tarantula.

DannyH

Arachnobaron
I don't think it would be bad. I have a cat and she never have cared about the T's (they are kept to high to her anyway).

Like everyone said, she finds crickets facinating though.

Jared781

Arachnobaron
This is exactly the same with my cats, the only time either of them bother with the tarantulas is if there's a cricket in an enclosure. Otherwise, they sit and watch the cricket tub all the time.

The tarantula would be at much more risk from the cat, than the other way around. The species listed by the OP wouldn't concern me as far as bite goes. As already said by others, the hairs could pose a risk for a cat. Especially if they got haired in the face, which would likely be where the would get it if they were messing with a tarantula.
HAHAHA cudos! :p
my cat is nuts about them, so i make sure
i throw one his way every now and then!

Robotponys

Arachnoknight
However, of all the thousands of enthusiasts who keep or have kept tarantulas over the last 50 or 60 years, of all the tarantulas that have been kept, of all the postings and responses that I've seen on this and 6 or 8 other forums, I've never, ever heard of a cat being bit by a tarantula, much less suffering any ill effects. Ditto for getting the urticating bristles in their eyes. Not that it isn't possible. Anything's possible. But, it's apparently exceedingly improbable.

It sounds a lot like you're under age 18 and still living at home with your parents. When you live in their house, eat their food, sleep in their bed, drive their car (?), etc., etc., etc., they own the air you breathe! Especially if you're not yet 18 years old. If it comes down to you and your tarantulas against them and their cats, guess who wins the contest? Though it pains me, my suggestion is that you somehow dispose of the tarantulas. Give them to a friend, take them back to the pet shop, sell them at a reptile show, etc. And, wait until you're old enough that you can get your own place and set up your hobby without damaging your relationship with your parents or offending them. Don't be in a big hurry to do everything you ever wanted to do before you turn 21. Leave a few little things on your bucket list for your 20s, 30s, maybe even your 40s if you live that long. :sarcasm: :biggrin:

Oh, you didn't think there was life after 29? Have I got a surprise for you! :roflmao:[/QUOTE]

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?43251-Tarantulas-cat&p=576327&viewfull=1#post576327 Hate to break it to you, but here is a cat that got bit. :) The urticating bristles could be problematic, but I will not let the T's escape anyway. If they do, cats go in the bathroom... This is just to reassure my parents.
Yup I'm a minor, how did you know? :p I doubt I'm going to get rid of my cureent tarantula though, and I think I may be able to get new ones. If I don't, I'm moving out when I turn 18. I can't even imagine being 40...No offense to the 40 year olds! :D

Only large old worlders, possibly 6" OBT / or very large pokies would cause damage to a cat.
bite from a 8-11" spider would hurt big time.. hairs would irritate the cat
Tarantulas are very tuff but... most Ts would run for dear life if they saw a cat:eek:
a large 16 pound+ cat would still probably make short work of most Ts ..except maybe T blondi , lasiodoras, pamphos
if the cat has claws. No T stands a chance :o_O: cats are feirce preditors, they have been known to eat scorpions.
some cats might run from a huge spider if its Defensive enough.. small Ts are just snacks though
ONly problem is that my cats weigh a little more or less than 10lbs last time I checked. They have only killed one mouse, nothing else in their whole (2 years) lives. I think the boy sat on it as it was dying... :p

dude!! you have nothing to worry about
just keep them in a save place like a cabinet, or something similar
trust me..... your situation is not worse than mine

No cabinets open nor space for them unfortunately. Plus I live in an aptmnt. :(

(he was 6 months old here.. hes turns 1 on the 23rd)
Leo
View attachment 98818 View attachment 98819
---
and this is what he was bred from

(Serval)
http://www.google.ca/imgres?q=serva...=204&ndsp=15&ved=1t:429,r:10,s:40&tx=45&ty=37

http://www.google.ca/imgres?q=serva...rt=40&ndsp=15&ved=1t:429,r:3,s:40&tx=84&ty=56
I want one! I saw a documentary on those cat/serval hybrids! Is he an F1 or 2?

Yup crickets are there favorite things! And pipe cleaners, and feathers, and not the toys we buy them...of course! :p

In conclusion, T's will be put into a shoebox under a metal rack with plenty of obstructions. Holes will be appropriately sized and other precautions will be taken. Crickets are banned (by me) since I'm...scared of them... o.0 i have a tarantula (which I used to hold but she is evil now, biting water and stuff) but am COMPLETELY terrified of city cockroaches and other bugs. Even dead ones being kicked at me, or cleaning up cricket guts. ugh. I've never been stung by a bee, but I almost have a phobia of wild bugs and crickets. I used to catch giant black ones... :( I guess super worms and the occasional cricket (dumped directly from bag to cage) wouldn't cause to much trouble with the cats.
Thanks for the help! I didn't quote everyone, but I think I answered everything. I would have been replying, but the email notification wasn't working...