My Barkly Tableland Death Adder (Acanthophis hawkei)

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
I have prepared the enclosure for the baby death adder that is going to be here in a week. Base substrate is clay rich earth, which resembles what they live on in Australia (black soil plains, Barkly Tableland). On top of the soil mixture, there is another mixture of wood chips and leaf litter, which the snake will utilize for camouflage and there is a nice piece of wood to hide under. All items acquired from nature are boiled to kill anything that may have been living on them.

Here are the pictures:

Side:

Front with doors closed:

Front with doors open:

Aerial with the mesh panel removed:

This initial cage, which should house her for a year or maybe a little less, is very small 30x30x30cm. This will give her a sense of security until she gets big and strong. I have another cage that is 120cm long and it will be prepared similar to this when the time comes but in addition to above elements, I will also plant Mitchell Grass seeds that I have ordered from Australia so she will have 100% "at home" feeling. She is going to be my one and only venomous snake for at least a few years so no expense spared for her comfort. Also, the big cage would look awesome with the grass growing etc. I may even throw in a small animal skull or smt.

Anyway, hope you guys like it.

Shrike

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That looks really nice! Make sure you take some pictures once the adder is in there. I want to see that cryptic coloration in action.

AmysAnimals

Arachnobaron
Nice setup. I didn't know what these snakes looked like...So I looked it up...They remind me of blue tongue skinks without legs. =P Well their bodies anyways. Their heads are nothing alike.

kevin91172

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
This for the one you had to force feed? Oh no you do not have it yet,I got to learn to read through postings,,,,,

Last edited:

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
I dug up a little in the attic and found a bigger enclosure for the little girl. It is 60x40x50 and should be enough for her whole life. I purchased a nice Lucky Reptile light fixture and a UVB light bulb as well, and installed a heating lamb. The final enclosure looks like this:

Can you spot the tiny little monster in there? :

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
I dug up a little in the attic and found a bigger enclosure for the little girl. It is 60x40x50 and should be enough for her whole life. I purchased a nice Lucky Reptile light fixture and a UVB light bulb as well, and installed a heating lamb. The final enclosure looks like this:

Can you spot the tiny little monster in there? :

I guess nobody could so here is a close up:

She is tiny, a little bigger than my little finger.

Shrike

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That's amazing. I still can't find it in the larger photo!

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
certianly wouldnt want to clean that tank it blends in so nicely could be easily tagged!

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
certianly wouldnt want to clean that tank it blends in so nicely could be easily tagged!
Almost all Death Adder evenomations in nature are due to people stepping on them as they are invisible. I prod around the cage with the long metal hook and locate her first without doing anything in there. Serious venom, I don't wanna get killed by an earthworm size snake, very emasculating :).

She is in shed right now, as soon as she sheds, I will make a feeding video.

Last edited:

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I don't trust myself to keep hot snakes! I was thinking I spotted him here. Is it just a piece of bark?

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
I don't trust myself to keep hot snakes! I was thinking I spotted him here. Is it just a piece of bark?
That is a piece of bark but you are close. Unfortunately, the resolution on this picture turned out to be crappy so it is normal that you guys had a hard time. Here is a slightly higher resolution close up of the same picture to show how she hid herself:

And here is a picture that I just took. She is "very much" in shed:

Last edited:

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
Kind of an exciting night, 1st shed is always stressful with humidity issues not properly set up to her preferences etc. Here is the little girl trying to shed using the glass:

Unfortunately, she got stuck mid-point so I had to soak her in warm water and assist her. It was easy really, I just grabbed the shed skin with forceps and she wiggled out of it herself.

Here is the shed skin of her head with the eye caps:

And here is the pretty girl with her new skin:

She will get her pinky snack tonight :).

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
[SUP][/SUP]Here is a very similar video with slo-mo strike shot and some general info about the snake:

[youtube]l79WD8RpelY[/youtube]

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
I guess somebody wanted to say hello this morning:

I spend 10 minutes every morning to find this girl, if she moves a little!