How are arboreal tarantulas wild caught?

Robotponys

Arachnoknight
I can't find anything on this! Just people in Texas talking about Aphonhelma's (spelling :eek:) in dry deserts. When I was about 7 or 8 I went to a Costa Rican tropical rainforest. Very cool! I got bit by army ants :cry: and saw a tarantula! It was in a short burrow and struck at the stick the guide poked in. That probably sparked my interest in exotic pets (none I got until last year I struck gold! Fish, tarantula, and plants). Also probably going to be some kind of vet/biologist when I'm older. :biggrin:

Anyway, I was just wondering how arboreal tarantulas (avicularia's mainly, no one is crazy enough to wild collect Pokies commercially, right?) are captured and shipped. Anoles are shaken out of trees onto tarps/sheets strung between trees, but that would hurt the tarantula right? Do they just hand pick them off the trees? :bruised: ouch!

Thanks in advance!

Amoeba

Arachnolord
The TKG says Avics have been spotted in webs behind toilet tanks so there is one place. Also if you look through the field adventures sub forum you'll see that they aren't terribly hard to find. I don't know the exact practice of it. Pokies got into this hobby somehow so logic says that someone collected them at least once.

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Whole trees can sometimes be cut down to collect certain species..

Robotponys

Arachnoknight
very carefully...
:biggrin:

The TKG says Avics have been spotted in webs behind toilet tanks so there is one place. Also if you look through the field adventures sub forum you'll see that they aren't terribly hard to find. I don't know the exact practice of it. Pokies got into this hobby somehow so logic says that someone collected them at least once.
Oh. I'll check it out thanks! :eek: Pokie catching! Sounds like great fun!

Whole trees can sometimes be cut down to collect certain species..
Well that kind of sucks... :eek:

ParabuthusKing

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
oh, that video was good.. it looked like he may have partially smashed the spider ;( , but the little kid filming it was classic!!

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Yeah the species they kill cutting down the trees... are probably worth more then the trees are worth?? sucks:mad::wall:
cant replace dead valuable Rare Extotic pets
Cutting down of trees has probably made many animals Extinct also

Rob1985

This user has no status.
Yeah the species they kill cutting down the trees... are probably worth more then the trees are worth?? sucks:mad::wall:
cant replace dead valuable Rare Extotic pets
Cutting down of trees has probably made many animals Extinct also
To be honest, the killing of animals by cutting down trees it's not worth getting a in a twist about. Sad, yes... can I directly change it? Nope!

MMAFogg

Arachnosquire
Haha that video is great, though im sure the spider is probebly going to die, still, to be honest even with my love of spiders failing to catch would mean id probebly have to kill it, iv got a 3 yr old little girl and she is NOT scared of spiders, inquisitive 3 year old + Huntsman = me in A+E, and they dont have anti venom in most of our hospitols!!!

Robotponys

Arachnoknight

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
The Stromatopelma story was priceless. I think it did illustrate where a lot of arboreal stock comes from, though. More ag development means humans in closer proximity to spiders and commonly interacting with the spider's chosen home. Add in human structures to support the farming/forestry and you have even more places to construct tube webs(esp. under the eaves).