Your worst newbie mistake

Alireza

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi Guys,
I thought it might be a good idea to share our "worst newbie mistakes". Anyone?

Billeh

Arachnosquire
Telling the Queen she is wrong.

Not my mistake but it has to be one of the worst.
Lol I like that.

I put my first T on bark, used water gels with calcium fortification, and provided NO hide.

nikki9093

Arachnosquire
putting the glass tank up too high, where it should not have been as i was moving things around...yeah, not the brightest of ideas. it fell. with my t in it. she didnt make it. i cried. a lot. :(

HoboAustin

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I would say the worst I've done is handled my G.rosea. I now know the risk of handling.

mmfh

Arachnobaron
Worried too much and overwatered my N. chromatus sling. Poor thing didn't survive.

Simon83

Arachnosquire
Putting the enclosure (with the sling in it) on top of a hot water bottle to heat it up :-/

RayH

Arachnopeon
Believing the LPS when they told me I would need $200+ worth of accessories to take care of a G. rosea. :sarcasm:

Anonymity82

Arachnoprince

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Underestimating the "grease lightning" speed of my new P.irminia. Talk about fast... (all went well, though) :)

suzypike

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thinking that a few holes in the top provided plenty of ventilation for any size/type of spider. My poor Ts!

Anastasia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
pairing up two males, one mature one immature...
even funnier.... they did mate, hahaha

...then few months later immature male matured..., no babies happened, bumber, lol

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
-flooding substrate w/o checking first, thereby killing a molting P. antinous sling
-cutting off the leg of of a P. ornata during capture w/ a sharp edged object
-housing an Avic. sling in cube with vent holes too large...probably eaten by Steatoda

I'm sure there is more:geek:

LV-426

Arachnobaron
Went to sleep on two diffent occasions while an enclosure was semi open (during a feeding session), lost a female N. chromatus and a Haplopelma sp Vietnam

hamhock 74

Arachnobaron
Underestimately a tarantula's ability to squeeze out of vent hole, lost a P. rufilata spiderling that way. Found it a few days later as bolus in the cobwebs of a fat cobweb spider.

paassatt

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Underestimately a tarantula's ability to squeeze out of vent hole, lost a P. rufilata spiderling that way. Found it a few days later as bolus in the cobwebs of a fat cobweb spider.
I have a similar story with a C. cyaneopubescens sling, except I found it a couple days later on top of my digital cable box. I guess it was attracted to the warmth it emitted. After that I learned the smaller-than-the-carapace rule.