Caring for tarantulas while on holiday

TarantulaKid

Arachnopeon
I was wondering how you guys care for tarantulas while on holiday? If someone can give me advice how to keep tarantulas alive while I am away for 3 weeks I will really apriciate it. I dont have anyone to feed them but my grandma could mist the tank.

Caramell

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I once went away for three weeks, and I just overflowed the water dishes for my Ts, fed all of them, and they were fine when I came back!

Theist 17

Arachnosquire
It all depends on what kinds of tarantulas you keep and how many you keep.

For instance, if you just have a rosea, try to give it something to eat before you leave and refill the water dish on the way out the door. But you might need some real help if you're keeping something like five different species of pokie and a T. gigas.

It just depends on your specific situation.

TarantulaKid

Arachnopeon
Currently I own G.rosea,B.boehemi,P.cambridgei and C.cyanopubescens. All of them are few cm long except rosea she is about 10cm. I will cary them with me this year but I am planing to buy something like 10 new slings soon and next year I wont be able to carry all of them with me. I was wondering is it possible to put a small deli cup and put few roaches in it so tarantulas can eat when they want to?

Jared781

Arachnobaron
I was wondering how you guys care for tarantulas while on holiday? If someone can give me advice how to keep tarantulas alive while I am away for 3 weeks I will really apriciate it. I dont have anyone to feed them but my grandma could mist the tank.
heres what i do, considering i will be in Mexico for 2 weeks i have talked to one of my buddies and he'll look after my 14 Ts and my cat.. then my sisters Chihuahua
and i will have a few written documents displaying when my Ts ate last, molted, etc..
and for him to call me if he had any questions :)

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I can't think of a tarantula on this planet that can't go three weeks without eating. They may be a bit hungry when you return, but you know how to handle that. JUST DON'T OVERFEED THE CHILEAN ROSE! Even when you get back, no more than 1 large cricket a week or 4 or 5 crickets a month. Ever! Don't cheat! Read Care and Husbandry of the Chilean Rose Tarantula for all the details.

Water is a bigger problem. The sub-adult and adult desert species (G.rosea, B. boehmei, and C. cyanopubescens) can survive it easily. P. cambridgei not so much. I'd give it a second water dish and cover all the open areas in its cage with plastic food wrap to retard ventilation and evaporation.

Babies kept in baby-style containers will do just fine if you make sure that their substrate is a little damper than normal before you leave.

Also, move all the cages to a cooler part of your home while you're gone if you can. That'll reduce both their need for water and the rate of evaporation a little.

Other than that, no worries!

See how easy tarantulas are to care for? Then, why does everybody try to make it so difficult? :?

Toogledoo

Arachnoknight
I'd probably just add a few Dubias because I've noticed that they burrow in substrate and any time I water, they come out to drink. So if you did it that way, there would already be food in there and if your grandma mists their enclosures, they'll probably pop out to drink giving your Ts a chance to eat. Either way as long as they have water, they'll probably be fine.

Rob1985

This user has no status.
for this reason alone is why I get to know locals and local breeders. I am pretty sure with a small payment I could have one of my buddies who a local breeder take care of them for a short time.

---------- Post added 02-11-2012 at 11:17 PM ----------

I'd probably just add a few Dubias because I've noticed that they burrow in substrate and any time I water, they come out to drink. So if you did it that way, there would already be food in there and if your grandma mists their enclosures, they'll probably pop out to drink giving your Ts a chance to eat. Either way as long as they have water, they'll probably be fine.
except if you leave burrowed dubias roaches in, if one of the T's molts while your gone it harm the T. Just something to think about.

Yes, most T's should be fine, but if it's winter and cold where you are be sure that your heat doesn't go out. Same for hot weather, be sure the A/C is well maintained.

Toogledoo

Arachnoknight
IME Dubias usually just try to hide and stay hidden (especially around anything moving) except to eat, drink, or breed. It may happen, but I've never had a T harmed by a Dubia, and I leave them in with my Ts all the time. Also, you can never really be sure that your heating or cooling doesn't go out. Anything could happen. They said their grandma can mist the tanks, so I'm sure if the heating went out, she'd let them know. :) I wouldn't worry too much.

hamhock 74

Arachnobaron
Since most of your tarantulas are quite hardy and your grandma can help with the misting while you are away, I'd say relax and enjoy your vacation.

Forgive me if I seem rude but what did you mean by," I will carry them with me this year, and next year I wont be able to carry all of them with me. I was wondering is it possible to put a small deli cup and put few roaches in it so tarantulas can eat when they want to?"

Are you planning on travelling around with the tarantulas because different custom laws in different countries may make it difficult if not illegal to bring non native animals into a country.

Ciphor

Arachnoprince
Spiders are insanely durable, you guys worry to much. Spiders can go months without food, they do it in heavy pre-molt all the time. Just give it an extra water dish. Even if humidity drops for a week because you are not misting, the spiders will be fine. Just don't make a habit out of it, or if you do, get someone to check on them once a week, no biggie.

Or put them in your pockets and take them with you, when customs asks "What is in your pocket sir?" simply reply "I don't know, why don't you go in there and find out". Problem, solved.

Frostbite

Arachnopeon
I have had Taran's for 20 years.....and have taken many trips...... Your critters will do just fine for 3 weeks without food. I have done it many times.....

The only concern I would have at all is water. Many suggestions already given above will get you through. I always fill the water dishes and mist right before I leave. I also use plastic to cover some enclosures to maintain humidity levels. Then, I have someone check on them once a week or so to be sure all is well. When I am going to be gone over 2 weeks, my daughter and grand daughter water them for me. ( I have 70 Tarantulas). Both of them have experience.

In 20 years, the only casualties I have had were a few small slings, and you can lose slings at anythime. Have an awesome vacation and don't worry about your "kids"!!!