Wild Caught Tarantulas

twentyeggs

Arachnosquire
Hey so as some of you know, i am in the market for a true Theraphosa Blondi I am finding it really hard to find. I have found a few website that are selling Blondi's but they are wild caught imported from South America. I have read many times to stay away from wild caught tarantulas but i am starting to realize i am not going to have a choice. There are a few goliath Stirmi captive breeds, but i want an Blondi or an apophysis. if any of you guys can help me out to find a breeder or website that sells CB blondi's id appreciate it.

ALSO the main reason for starting this thread is i want to know if buying a wild caught T really is all that bad?
Do they really have that hard of a time acclimatising to a tank?
Do they have a difference in temperament and confidence? like do WC T's hide more often or will they explore like CB.
Do they differ in color/luster?
i know they are kinda rugged looking and have bald spots upon arrival, especially on their legs and body, but does this go away with a molt and end up looking like a CB??
What are some things i need to know specifically about buying a WC T?

I would really appreciate some feedback. I have searched the Forum and there are a few threads in the regard, however my questions are kind of specific and not all answered and i don't know if it applies to ALL tarantulas or if it varies from species to species specifically Theraphosa's. If you have ever or currently own a WC tarantula please let me know your experience!

Thank you!!

Ciphor

Arachnoprince
Your concerns for not buying a wild caught are.. misplaced in my opinion.

The reason most people avoid a wild catch is because we care and have great respect for these creatures. If you buy wild catches, you promote the removing of these spiders from their home, which, we are all kinda guilty of on some way, but we try to avoid it. Theraphosa blondi are not endangered yet, but with a giant species like this one, it is a risk that is always around the corner. A responsible individual would catch a few wilds, get some successful breeding going, and sell offspring. Someone who is directly selling wild catches, may only sell those wild catches and never attempt to breed and care for the spiders.

I'm sure you will get a lot of mixed opinions on this, this is just one of them.

I get why you want one, I did too. It is that "the TRUE worlds biggest spider" title you are after. It is an impulse that will fade quickly, and it is best to ignore it now, be patient, and look for some captive breeds. Or just do what everyone else does, buy a T. stirmi which is an almost identical spider in size and weight, the only real difference is the title.

Amoeba

Arachnolord
Theraphosa are also often collected for food by the natives anyway. Make sure you inspect any spider that you buy (WC or not) for any form of parasite or problem, ESPECIALLY CYSTS!!!!!!

If you are new to the hobby I would suggest you steer away from this genus entirely because a) they aren't cheap and b) they are hard to take care of in captivity. As the Tarantula Keepers guide suggests a Lasiodora is a good easily found captive bred species that can achieve almost equal size, and is much easier to care for.

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
i am in the market for a true Theraphosa Blondi I am finding it really hard to find. I have found a few website that are selling Blondi's but they are wild caught imported from South America.
If your looking for a "True" T. blondi, I wouldn't buy one from a site selling WC Theraphosa, as it will be a T. stirmi, regardless of how they have them labeled.

Later, Tom

LV-426

Arachnobaron
I got my 2 stirmi when i was 2 months. into the hobby and they are both still alive and doin well. I think the bigger they get is when you really gotta watch them more closely

Last edited:

twentyeggs

Arachnosquire
Theraphosa are also often collected for food by the natives anyway. Make sure you inspect any spider that you buy (WC or not) for any form of parasite or problem, ESPECIALLY CYSTS!!!!!!

If you are new to the hobby I would suggest you steer away from this genus entirely because a) they aren't cheap and b) they are hard to take care of in captivity. As the Tarantula Keepers guide suggests a Lasiodora is a good easily found captive bred species that can achieve almost equal size, and is much easier to care for.
yeah i am attracted to them because they are huge. no doubt about it. I have done some research on the lasiodora (salmon pink foot bird eater). im almost swayed by the fact that they can achieve equal size. im definitely thinking about it. are the Lasiodora's able to be handled? i tried holding my last Theraphosa and almost had a heart attack. the second its got on my hand it scampered straight up my arm, right up my neck and stopped directly over my face in 2-3 seconds.

i am also having a hard time trying to find a lasiodora online... i found one web site but they are the same price as the theraphosa.

jbm150

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I totally get where you're coming from on wanting a "specific" species, I get the same way. My advice to you is be patient. Comb the classifieds often and they'll come up. If you get slings, they'll grow incredibly quickly and you'll see them through their entire lifecycle. They'll also likely be hardier. Like most things, their availability is cyclical. Be patient and they'll come around again. Use the time to learn about them, plan out how you're going to keep them, and enjoy the other species you have and can get :)

jake9134

Arachnosquire
they are pretty common just have to look for a bit, bought my Lasiodora for $15 at a reptile show but guess it depends on size because mine was only 2in long at the time. oh and they grow pretty fast too, but I wouldn't want to hold him..he attacks anything that moves.

Sweepstakes

Arachnopeon
yeah i am attracted to them because they are huge. no doubt about it. I have done some research on the lasiodora (salmon pink foot bird eater). im almost swayed by the fact that they can achieve equal size. im definitely thinking about it. are the Lasiodora's able to be handled? i tried holding my last Theraphosa and almost had a heart attack. the second its got on my hand it scampered straight up my arm, right up my neck and stopped directly over my face in 2-3 seconds.

i am also having a hard time trying to find a lasiodora online... i found one web site but they are the same price as the theraphosa.
You must not be looking very hard... plenty of websites sell Lasiodora Parahybana slings for around $10-$20. Go check the classifieds section and visit the websites advertised on here. LP's are great in my opinion and I like them much better than the Theraphosa, but I've never owned a Theraphosa so I am slightly biased.

Amoeba

Arachnolord
You must not be looking very hard... plenty of websites sell Lasiodora *******parahybana slings for around $10-$20.
For how many? The last person I talked to who had a LP sac said he stopped counting at 2,500 slings....

Slevin

Arachnosquire
Have you tried petcenterusa.net? I know for sure they have very young true T. blondi slings for sale. The owner is on vacation though so his stock isn't showing.

Shrike

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
:eek: omg. makes me think twice about breeding my girl. ever.
Some folks allow a certain amount of cannibalism to cull the population to a more manageable size. I'm not condoning it, but it's an option.

Sweepstakes

Arachnopeon
For how many? The last person I talked to who had a LP sac said he stopped counting at 2,500 slings....
For one hahaha but their sac size made me reconsider sending my MM out on a breeding loan that's for sure. I'm sure someone who bred one just for the experience would give the slings away just to have less of them!

twentyeggs

Arachnosquire
Do wc T's have a tendency to hide more often since they are conditioned to watch for predators in the wild?

jbm150

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Do wc T's have a tendency to hide more often since they are conditioned to watch for predators in the wild?
Agreed, they don't know the difference between captivity and in the wild. That'll be individual difference, how much of a tendancy they have to hide. And perhaps how comfortable their enclosure is (if the air is dry, they may spend most of their time in their burrows)

twentyeggs

Arachnosquire
Well I think I have been convinced to get an LP. After I found out you can hold/handle LPs I have been swayed. I found a place selling them from at a quarter inch to 1 inch but I'm thinking that is a little too small..

I also like the fact that they like the sit out in plain sight rather than hide and are big big eaters. I just hope the one I get is one of the "exceptional" ones that get up to 10" I'm assuming I need a female for better chances. I don't like how the males get skinny and spindly when mature

Last edited:

Ciphor

Arachnoprince
Well I think I have been convinced to get an LP. After I found out you can hold/handle LPs I have been swayed. I found a place selling them from at a quarter inch to 1 inch but I'm thinking that is a little too small..

I also like the fact that they like the sit out in plain sight rather than hide and are big big eaters. I just hope the one I get is one of the "exceptional" ones that get up to 10" I'm assuming I need a female for better chances. I don't like how the males get skinny and spindly when mature
Males are the ones that get up to 10 inches in DLS I believe. Males typically have more slender bodies and longer legs. Females are known for their sheer weight and mass. If you considered spiders as "Large" by their leg span alone, T. blondi definitely would not be the biggest spider.

Could be wrong here so someone correct me if I am.