jumping spider uses image defocus to catch it's prey

Moonbug

Arachnosquire
One of my favorite spiders is the wolf spider since it hunts for its prey. I love to see them ambush an insect in my garden.

I was surfing the web and found this amazing video on how the jumping spider uses image defocus to catch it's prey. I think it was really interesting and I thought I should share it.

Check it out!

[YOUTUBE]wiA4yVt1KMk[/YOUTUBE]

Rob1985

This user has no status.
Very cool! I have wanted to own a species of jumping spider as well as the Calisoga longitarsus.

Moonbug

Arachnosquire
I would like to see one of the Calisoga longitarsus in its natural environment! I don't have any where I live. Just lots of other types of spiders. I really like the lynx spiders too!

Rob1985

This user has no status.
I would like to see one of the Calisoga longitarsus in its natural environment! I don't have any where I live. Just lots of other types of spiders. I really like the lynx spiders too!
I know that the Calisoga longitarsus are very defensive, but as I understand they lack Scopulae to climb, which is kind of nice, lol.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Jumpers. Classiest animal in the world. Imagine having a pet trained jumper the size of a dog instead of a canine companion. Say you live near a local airport: "Darling! The 'dog' just brought home another Cessna!"

What amazes me is this animal, with over half it's brain cavity occupied by optics, has got such a sophisticated aiming system they are only now starting to figure out how it works.

Last edited:

AlexRC

Arachnopeon
Thanks for finding this vid, I remember seeing it on t.v. a while back and just thinking about how amazing it is. Glad I'm able to save it to my fav's now to share with others.

SC Tarantulas

Arachnoknight
Jumping spiders are great! I use to catch them all the time as a kid.