Weird Avicularia Avicularia Feeding Behavior

Nate4991

Arachnosquire
Hi i have a question about how my avic eats. I noticed that my biggest avic (2-3in [estimate]) has begun to bite its prey but shortly lets it go. I tried feeding it a super worm and it tackled it and stuff but quickly released it. I tong feed my avics at the moment cause there not webbing. After he let the super worm go yesterday it lost all of its feeding response and ran away from its food. It normally eats crickets but like to do the quick release thing also with them, but he it later will actually take hold of them and eat after 2-3 times of biting and releasing. And i know its injecting its fangs cause i hear a crunching noise and see a glimpse of his fangs coming out. I normally feed it a large cricket. The avic seems to be a male to me cause of how close the book lungs are and i really dont see the lip on the vent that females normally have. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
*Yesterday he had a great feeding response before the feeding attempt , i went to touch him with my paint brush for handling and he quickly turned around following the bristles as if he were ready to attack*

advan

oOOo
Staff member
He could not be hungry, or just not like superworms. Try a cricket, if that doesn't work, wait a week and try again.

Nate4991

Arachnosquire
im going to pick up some more cricktes, hes been kinda moody lately

Chicken Farmer

Arachnosquire
someone i knew had a T, they would dump in the crickets, and if the T did not want them, it would either bite andkill, or make a web for them to get caught in.

Nate4991

Arachnosquire
it ate a cricket after biting it several times again, i will be posting a video.

Nate4991

Arachnosquire
Just thought i would post this up to see if anyone has seen this behavior. Im not worried yet, just curious :?

jakykong

Arachnobaron
I haven't yet kept an avic (successfully, in any case. Long story.), but it looks similar to my OBT sling when he's in premolt. He's molted 3 times in my care, and each time, I know it's started because he'll attack a roach briefly, then retreat. The effect seems to be to get the roach to go away. I haven't tested whether he'd kill it or just keep shooing it away. (For the record, I'm talking about small B. lateralis nymphs, not big roaches.)

But it is strange - it looks like your avic finally did eat the cricket?

Cheshkitty

Arachnopeon
I have not been in the hobby very long, but from my experience my female is very testy when she is disturbed. Usually if I pinch the cricket and hold it in front of her she takes it. If I disturb anything with he tongs too much she drops the cricket and seems to be trying to figure out where the vibrations are coming from. In the video you poke him with the tongs and disturbed the foliage quite a bit. Try just pinching the cricket and offering it in front of him with minimal disruptions. I would think it would be like sitting down to dinner and having someone pounding on the table or poking you gently to move you towards the food. Might get a little irritating. You might be more interested in defending yourself than eating your meal. Like I said I am new to the hobby, and all I have to go on is the reactions of my female. I was however in the Cichlid hobby for years and the slightest tap would freak them out enough that they would ignore their food. Since Ts are reactive to vibration you might just have a slightly more reactive T (like my female, she is so grr it takes several minutes to get her to move. If I try to get her to move she hunkers down and pushes her back end against whatever I am using. Yet the slightest noise or burst of air and she flips out -.-). Hope he continues to eat ok from now on :)

I would like to add this is just an idea that works for my girl. Also I am not saying you are feeding the T wrong in anyway.

Last edited:

Moonbug

Arachnosquire
I feed my avic sling by putting a roach or cricket in its web at the top of its cage. Usually it just bites it and let it go. Most of the time, if I don't disturb it, it will go back later and eat it, as long as it hasn't escaped its web.

InvertFix

Arachnobaron
I have a few avics... One of them detests tong feeding. I have to throw the cricket into her hide for her to eat it. If I try tong feeding and disturb her with the tongs, she bites and then bolts.

She may think that the tongs, with cricket attatched is not food, but rather something trying to get her. Ending in her attacking the tongs/cricket to fend off the offender.

Nate4991

Arachnosquire
only thing is w/o the tongs the avic wont go down to catch its prey. I would always see the cricket running around w/o any sign of interest lol

InvertFix

Arachnobaron
only thing is w/o the tongs the avic wont go down to catch its prey. I would always see the cricket running around w/o any sign of interest lol
Hmm... I have never had that problem. If a T is hungry, then it's hungry and will find it lol

Nate4991

Arachnosquire
My avic is starting to web its enclosure a bit more than usual. Could it be in pre-molt?

Nate4991

Arachnosquire
Its never made webs like that in my care. At most would web a small circle when eating.
WP_000427.jpg

advan

oOOo
Staff member
My avic is starting to web its enclosure a bit more than usual. Could it be in pre-molt?
How long have you had it? Some Avics can take a little while to make their web retreats. I would suggest using cork bark leaned up against the side. The spider can attach webbing and build it's tube web, finally making itself at home. Give it a week without disturbing it and then try a cricket. I bet you will have different results. ;)