Few questions about G. rosea

Glubu

Arachnosquire
Hello,

A real real real leek question but ehmm when a male and female are mating the male will get killed by the female right? :o_O:
I'm going to buy a couple G. rosea and they are both in an other tank and i'm not thinking about breeding but I was just wondering.

I also have a question about webs or burrows, will G. rosea make burrows and will they web the earth and stuff?
But they don't use there webs to hunt so what use does these webs have?

Sorry for the stupid questions :eek:

HoboAustin

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
It doesn't happen everytime, but occasionally you will lose the male.

As far as burrowing goes, I've never seen a G. rosea dig a burrow. Mine web over the substrate. I believe they hunt by the vibrations in the web caused by the feeders moving.

Anonymity82

Arachnoprince
Mine doesn't burrow. But I have heard of many who do, plus, just because it's not burrowing now doesn't mean she wont ever.

Glubu

Arachnosquire
Thanks guys for the awnsers :)
Can't wait till tomorrow evening to get my couple!

Nate4991

Arachnosquire
Just make sure they are confirmed male & female. If the male has tibial hooks and the females ready, i would say mate them. Males have maybe around a year of life after they fully mature(what ive heard and read).

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
Males have maybe around a year of life after they fully mature(what ive heard and read).
That depends on the species. Shorter lived species will live shorter lives once becoming a MM, whereas longer lived species (like Grammostola, Brachypelma, Aphonopelma) will live longer once becoming a MM.

A MM Grammostola could live a couple years after maturing. I have a MM G. pulchripes here, that is coming up on a year mature and he's still eating and looks pretty good.

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hello,

A real real real leek question but ehmm when a male and female are mating the male will get killed by the female right? :o_O:
I'm going to buy a couple G. rosea and they are both in an other tank and i'm not thinking about breeding but I was just wondering.

I also have a question about webs or burrows, will G. rosea make burrows and will they web the earth and stuff?
But they don't use there webs to hunt so what use does these webs have?

Sorry for the stupid questions :eek:
[size=+1]STOP! DON'T BUY THEM YET![/SIZE]

Very first:

WELCOME TO THE HOBBY!

WELCOME TO THIS FORUM!

You're a "n00b" and you're about to commit a terrible mistake because you don't know what you're doing. Instead, read Stan's Rant.

There are several points listed in that webpage that you should permanently brand on your brain, or at least tattoo on the palms of both hands!

Especially, read as many of the four books as you can find.

After you read at least two (2) of those books, if you think this is the hobby for you, by all means go out and buy the Chilean roses. If you have any questions, get back to us before committing yourself.

One of the more major mistakes that novices make is to assume that you care for and breed tarantulas the same as you do gerbils, guppies, or parakeets. NOTHING COULD BE FARTHER FROM THE TRUTH! Tarantulas violate almost all the rules. You need to relearn everything you think you know about live animals in order to care for them properly. They're not difficult to care for, they're just radically unconventional. READ THE BOOKS! They'll save you a lot of work, a lot of money, a lot of stress, and one or two dead tarantulas!

And then, you need to know that:

"The only dumb questions are the ones you don't ask."
"Dumb questions are always easier to deal with than dumb mistakes!"

[size=+1]ASK FIRST![/SIZE]

Someone has already told you to read Care and Husbandry of the Chilean Rose Tarantula, but I'm going to mention it again. It won't tell you how to take care of a generic tarantula (that's what those books are for.), but it will help you to NOT make the same mistakes 99% of the other n00bs make with Chilean roses.

Lastly, has anyone told you of the tarantula enthusiast's lament?

LIKE THOSE POTATO CHIPS, YOU CAN'T HAVE JUST ONE!

You've been warned! {D

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I've read basically everything I could get my hands on for over a year before I decided I'm ready to get T's. He's so RIGHT. Don't -assume-, instead first of make sure you know at least the basics of care and don't make the mistake of assuming "it'll be alright". :) - this is just my personal view, however. (kinda makes me go *sigh* when I read about people asking why their Rosies are glued to the sides of the tank and won't come down, then telling the substrate is nicely humid....*fail*)

Once you have T's, you learn even -more-, because the stuff a book can't show you, is the -real- thing. And it takes some experience and a lot of help from people knowing what they do, before one -knows- their T's.

Don't mean to offend you here, btw. I'm just kinda getting tired of reading about people that get an animal first and THEN start asking questions about it...(by now, I can understand a lot of the "oltimers" on here that get mad about that...no kidding)

Glubu

Arachnosquire
Well ehmm first of all hello :o_O: ,

I've just got the couple G. rosea here.
Since I've started almost 4 years ago with snakes I have also read a lot of stuff about tarantulas and other spiders.
I've always wanted these and they are beautiful animals.

I understand you guys don't like people that just buy with out doing any research or anything like that but that is exactly the same as in the snake world.
I've read loads of stuff about these spiders before actually looking for one.
I was looking for someone that could confirm my thoughts.

The guy that I've bought the Ts of gave them grashoppers (real large ones probably in length longer that my male). This is way too big right?
I should give them fullgrown crickets right?

Last edited:

Anonymity82

Arachnoprince
Well ehmm first of all hello :o_O: ,

I've just got the couple G. rosea here.
Since I've started almost 4 years ago with snakes I have also read a lot of stuff about tarantulas and other spiders.
I've always wanted these and they are beautiful animals.

I understand you guys don't like people that just buy with out doing any research or anything like that but that is exactly the same as in the snake world.
I've read loads of stuff about these spiders before actually looking for one.
I was looking for someone that could confirm my thoughts.

The guy that I've bought the Ts of gave them grashoppers (real large ones probably in length longer that my male). This is way too big right?
I should give them fullgrown crickets right?
I think the general consensus (not an exact science) is not to feed them anything bigger than their abdomen.

Glubu

Arachnosquire
I have an other question.

How often should I feed my G. rosea's?
I find many different information about it. 1 cricket a week/2 weeks. and 1 cricket every 2 days...
So I hope you guys can give me good information about this. (The crickets I feed now are fullgrown)

Frat

Arachnopeon
Once every two weeks is fine; even though you'll learn G. roseas can be stubborn eaters as they go on fasts from time to time. If you have access to dubia roaches, I'd go that route. They're meatier, don't bite, don't smell as rancid as crickets, and do not carry nematodes. If your rosea doesn't take the prey, take it out. Also if you notice a heavy web bed, he/she may be in pre-molt and they won't eat. I've had mine for 13 years on the feeding plan I just explained, with the occasional long fast, and she's doing great.

Glubu

Arachnosquire
Thank you.
I've indeed read about that they can fast for a long time.

Amoeba

Arachnolord
Like Stan (Pikaia) said tarantulas are very unconventional, this applies to feeding too. You need to determine a healthy size for the abdomen and keep them fed to maintain that size. I have found that my G. rosea has a very slow metabolism so feeding is irregular at best. You will NEVER need to feed a tarantula more than once a week no matter the size or species in my opinion. Grasshoppers are fine but you should try and feed something about the size of the abdomen.

Glubu

Arachnosquire
Hello,

An other question where I worry about a bit.
People say grammostola rosea can be confrontable with the temperatre where a human is confrontable with.
In my house the day temperature is 69.80000000000001 fahrenheit (21 degrees celcius). And in night it is 62.6 Fahrenheit (17 degrees celcius).
No light at all they have in their enclosure now. And it's pretty dark but they can see the defirence between day and night.

Now my question is:
Is this temperature fine?
Since they are in the new bigger enclosure with out light they don't move at all. (This can be because they are a bit freaked out bit in the night they haven't moved at all either... :/ )

As these are my first Ts i'm pretty careful and watch them all the time lol.

Sorry for all the question but well I'm just a bit worried. :/

Edit:
Just came up with something that didn't went well a while ago.
How should I feed them?
Pin the cricket and than keep it infront of the T and wait till it gets it and let the cricket go?
Because the last time I've feeded them the cricket just ran away and tried to hide.
I was lucky he ran onto my spider and my spider grabbed him but since they are in a new cage crickets have a lot bigger change to hide and burrow ...
So ... How do you feed?

Last edited:

tarantulagirl10

Arachnobaron
I use tongs to drop the cricket in front of the t. Usually they immediately grab it. If they don't grab it, they will find it soon if they are hungry. Can you post pictures of both of your ts and their enclosures? :)

Anonymity82

Arachnoprince
I use tongs to drop the cricket in front of the t. Usually they immediately grab it. If they don't grab it, they will find it soon if they are hungry. Can you post pictures of both of your ts and their enclosures? :)
My rose will never eat anything handed to her with my tongs. She HATES the tongs. She'd be more likely to eat it right out of my hand (not going to try it :p). If you just leave the cricket in there for a day or two (everyone says 1 day but I have left mine in for 2 before, as long as it's not stressing your T out it should be fine) it should eventually wonder close enough to your T and if they are hungry they will go for it.

Those temperatures are fine, but at those temps they are probably going to eat even less often than already discussed. It wont kill them though. They are very hardy creatures.

They don't need any special lighting as long as they can tell the difference between night and day.