Keeping peat moss good enough for digging?

Marybelle

Arachnopeon
We have recently acquired a Camaroon red baboon, and have her on peat moss. Last night, she dug several holes, but none deep enough to hide in, and she seems unhappy with that. Unfortunately, we can't figure a way to make sure the peat moss is good for her to dig a burrow. It doesn't seem to want to hold water enough to make it semi-formable, so it doesn't collapse on her when she digs. Anyone have any ideas? We've never had this problem before...

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Peat moss can be moistened, it just takes forever. However, don't fret. Tarantulas that want to dig down will build their own reinforcement beams with silk even in otherwise unsuitable substrate.

G_Wright

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
maby she is just a little stressed in her new home the peat should be fine for burrowing. Mine seams quite happy with the stuff I never see it now. It's webed out it's burrow so there is no danger of it collapsing. The only indication I have that it is still in there is that the crixs keep diserpearing and then I find prey remains the next day LOL just keep the soild pretty moist. as this species liks it's moisture. Even likes a swimm now and again. LOL.

OOOh that reminds me i'd better move it away from the fish tank as they are good at escaping lol.

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Whenever you first put peat in a container make sure its pre-moistened. I mix mine in a bucket by adding water and mixing it with my hands. That way it doesn't take forever to suck up the water as Code has pointed out.. You'll know you have the right mix by taking the peat and squeezing it in you hand. It should pack tight without water squeezing out of it.
Put the prepared peat into the cage and pack it down tight.
If you let it dry completely it will be pretty hard and perfect for burrowing. If you want to keep it moist, just pour water down the sides next to the cage walls.

For H. gigas you want to keep it moist. That species loves and needs moist soil. ;)

E