OH no. Did i just kill my scorpion?

InfestedGoat

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I was going around cleaning up the G.grandidieri tank. And I lifted up a bark to find a exoskeleton. I picked it up with some tongs and it had a big thing on it. Once i picked it up, I realised it was a STILL MOLTING SCORPION. CRAP! So i put it back where it was, and misted a little around the area.

I hope I didnt kill it. it was still moving once I picked it up, I just hope I didnt ruin everything and hurt the little guy. So what can I do.

*edit* well, now hes being eaten by a tank mate. God dammit.

Last edited:

skippy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i'm not an experienced scorp guy or anything but even i know that: leave it alone!

good luck, not much you can do at this point but wait and worry ;)

InfestedGoat

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Like I said, he is currently being eaten by a fellow tank mate, his tank mate will not let go. He's already dead now. Sucks. :(
(edit, it really sucks cause he looks like he continued molting since I put him back, but his fat ass tank mate ate him. And i JUST fed them crickets hours ago)
*editedit* I can't help but blame myself. feels bad.

skippy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i think you put that in at the same time i posted, i didn't see it.

that sucks dude, sorry to hear :(

2nscorpx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I was going around cleaning up the G.grandideri tank. And I lifted up a bark to find a exoskeleton. I picked it up with some tongs and it had a big thing on it. Once i picked it up, I realised it was a STILL MOLTING SCORPION. CRAP! So i put it back where it was, and misted a little around the area.

I hope I didnt kill it. it was still moving once I picked it up, I just hope I didnt ruin everything and hurt the little guy. So what can I do.

*edit* well, now hes being eaten by a tank mate. God dammit.
Well, at least you now know that you should be more careful.:) I'm really sorry that you lost it!

theguns19726

Arachnosquire
That does suck indeed. How many are in the tank? Even communal scorps find tank mates to tasty to pass up. I worry about that everyday since my 2 female emps both show signs of pre-molt, and my adult male is in the same enclosure. Im hoping the big guy dont decide that they would make better meals than mamas.......

InfestedGoat

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
2-3 left in the tank. I started with 5. Makes me feel like G.grandidieri isn't the most communal scorp when young. I keep them very well fed.

2nscorpx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
2-3 left in the tank. I started with 5. Makes me feel like G.grandidieri isn't the most communal scorp when young. I keep them very well fed.
As you probably know, it is not recommended to keep young scorpions together, especially during a molt.

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
As you probably know, it is not recommended to keep young scorpions together, especially during a molt.
Wrong. Tityus stigmurus and serralatus are completely communal throughout their life cycles. I've even kept C. gracilis and sculpts together well fed with zero instances of cannibalism, even during molts.

snippy

Arachnobaron
Even so, most scorpions (even communal ones) tend to molting cannibalism. So there is always an elevated risk when raising them in groups.

Regards
Finn

2nscorpx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wrong. Tityus stigmurus and serralatus are completely communal throughout their life cycles. I've even kept C. gracilis and sculpts together well fed with zero instances of cannibalism, even during molts.
I wouldn't say wrong so definitively. I know of some cannibalism from species that were supposed to be communal at any life stage, including T. serrulatus and T. stigmurus...and it is not wrong when I say 'it is not recommended' because it is not!:)

Last edited:

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I wouldn't say wrong so definitively. I know of some cannibalism from species that were supposed to be communal at any life stage, including T. serrulatus and T. stigmurus...and it is not wrong when I say 'it is not recommended' because it is not!:)
So you're saying you've kept T. stigmurus and serralatus and starved them to see this as I have? Interesting that your specimens did so, because mine did not.

InfestedGoat

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah, I know it isn't recommended, but I wanted to try with this species. I have many different communal projects going, and this is the only tank that is having cannibal issues. I might seperate the ones who are left.

*edit* okay. Just separated the remaining ones, I have 3 left. Which means I lost another one earlier to cannibalism as well. So anyone else thinking of a Grosphus grandidieri communal set up, keep them separated until adult hood.

Last edited:

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Everyone with significant genitalia knows that these are not to be kept communally....;)

Verstuurd van mijn GT-I9001 met Tapatalk

InfestedGoat

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Everyone with significant genitalia knows that these are not to be kept communally....;)

Verstuurd van mijn GT-I9001 met Tapatalk
Are they communal as adults? I was told they would do fine communally if well fed.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hi,

Yes, as adults (males at instar 7, females at 7 or even 8) they can be kept in small groups. This is what I personally experienced when I kept these years ago.....but you can never rule out cannibalism......Molting cagemates can be turned into fast food rapidly. When? When it suits the other cagemate to eat the molting one.....

2nscorpx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
So you're saying you've kept T. stigmurus and serralatus and starved them to see this as I have? Interesting that your specimens did so, because mine did not.
No, these were reports from some other keepers in Europe, even some cannibalism in other species like C. nitidus that were supposed to be communal at any life stage. I even remember Brian Sherrill saying that he had some cannibalism in juvenile Tityus serrulatus. I meant more, sorry, that G. grandidieri is not necessarily communal as juveniles.;)

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
but you can never rule out cannibalism......
I was reminded of this today by a friend.

I however, have had no issues with the scorpions I listed, and stand by my statement that I've lost ziltch, even when denying them food. So it seems mine are just good specimens :)