Wearing gloves to avoid bites

s3cretz

Arachnopeon
I'm sure this thread will get flamed, but being relatively new to the hobby I figured I'd put it out there. When dealing with the more venomous species, why would you not want to wear some type of thick glove to keep the T fangs from penetrating skin? I'm not speaking of handling the T, as I don't handle ANY of my species, but when cleaning tanks or rehousing species like pokies, H Mac, etc., what are the downsides to wearing hand protection? It seems like common sense to me, so I'm curious as to why you would/wouldn't advise this?

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
Gloves won't do any good, the spider can penetrate them with their fangs.

If you're talking like the large, thick leather gloves that are worn at vet clinics etc for handling "difficult" animals; I can tell you from experience as a vet tech, that something that thick and bulky, would make doing any feeding, maintenance, or rehousing impossible.

The only time maybe some type of gloves (but they would have to be thin or they are going to impede your ability to work), could come in handy are for extra protection when dealing with species that have strong urticating hairs. They aren't going to provide protection from a bite, but can protect your hands to a degree from the hairs.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
How much are you able to move your hands / fingers exactly when wearing gloves? If you think about, let's say thick leather gloves, then first off most T's have fangs of 0,5cm to 1,5cm (depending on species and size of the specimen - T.apophis can get to 2cm fangs if I am not mistaken!) and those will easily go through your gloves anyways.

1) Your movement is hindered

2) You might hurt your T by dropping her accidentally in case you pick her up (or squeeze or whatnot)

3) Gloves won't stop fangs (I can't imagine that, given their strength and their length!)

There's only ONE way to avoid getting bitten: BE CAREFUL and have as much information on the T as possible. If scared about getting bitten, my personal suggestion is to NOT get ANY old-word T!

s3cretz

Arachnopeon
I could see something large like a Blondi or something more in the 7-8" size being able to penetrate some thick gloves. Looking at my Smithi's (5.5" MF) fangs, they're pretty small and I couldn't see her penetrating some thick, puffy winter gloves. Granted, they would impede movement, but then again I'm not performing open heart surgery either. I'm very careful when dealing with my OW species, but of course I'm not looking to get bit. Scared is probably not the right word, but I'm not eager to join the ranks of those who have posted in the bite threads either... I was thinking more for having to remove a large pokie or something when doing the yearly enclosure maintenance when the T actually needs to be removed from the enclosure. I've yet to try and "capture" a large OW from within its enclosure, so was trying to find ways to minimize complications.

Ludedor24

FangzTv
Old Timer
I'm not agreeing or disagreeing the use of gloves to avoid a bite ..I'm curious though if there were any reported cases of a person being bit by a T while using gloves and if so size of T at the time/ type of gloves/ damage recieved

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I could see something large like a Blondi or something more in the 7-8" size being able to penetrate some thick gloves. Looking at my Smithi's (5.5" MF) fangs, they're pretty small and I couldn't see her penetrating some thick, puffy winter gloves. Granted, they would impede movement, but then again I'm not performing open heart surgery either. I'm very careful when dealing with my OW species, but of course I'm not looking to get bit. Scared is probably not the right word, but I'm not eager to join the ranks of those who have posted in the bite threads either... I was thinking more for having to remove a large pokie or something when doing the yearly enclosure maintenance when the T actually needs to be removed from the enclosure. I've yet to try and "capture" a large OW from within its enclosure, so was trying to find ways to minimize complications.
Ok, but you just said:

I'm sure this thread will get flamed, but being relatively new to the hobby I figured I'd put it out there. When dealing with the more venomous species, why would you not want to wear some type of thick glove to keep the T fangs from penetrating skin? I'm not speaking of handling the T, as I don't handle ANY of my species, but when cleaning tanks or rehousing species like pokies, H Mac, etc., what are the downsides to wearing hand protection? It seems like common sense to me, so I'm curious as to why you would/wouldn't advise this?
So you stated that you're new to the hobby and asked a question. That question was answered for you, by an experienced member. Then, you reject their answer.

What exactly makes what you think, being new to the hobby, more important/correct/valid than what experienced hobbyists think? What makes you think people will want to help you, when all you do is dismiss their answers to your questions because you think you know best?

Why did you even ASK the question if you're not going to consider the responses you get?

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
I could see something large like a Blondi or something more in the 7-8" size being able to penetrate some thick gloves.
My female G. pulchripes punctured a plastic catch cup with a bite, when she was about 4.5"...

Thick gloves are only going to seriously impede what you can do. The only ones I've ever used that are resistant to dog and cat bites, made it impossible to do anything except restrain the animal while people not wearing gloves did the work.

s3cretz

Arachnopeon
Ok, but you just said:

So you stated that you're new to the hobby and asked a question. That question was answered for you, by an experienced member. Then, you reject their answer.

What exactly makes what you think, being new to the hobby, more important/correct/valid than what experienced hobbyists think? What makes you think people will want to help you, when all you do is dismiss their answers to your questions because you think you know best?

Why did you even ASK the question if you're not going to consider the responses you get?

I'm not rejecting answers from anyone. My apologies to anyone that I may have offended by responding with what I considered might be intelligent thought. That being said, you sir, have a lot to learn with respect to communication, people skills and most of all, tolerance. I'm sure you have years of experience on me in the T hobby, but I wouldn't dream of conducting myself the way you do in my area of expertise, Leopard Geckos. This is not the first time I have witnessed your intolerance and knee-jerk responses to newcomers on this board. Your methods keep people like myself from posting in these forums. Who wants to ask questions for "fear" of being shellacked by someone like yourself?

Without newcomers to the hobby, the hobby will die out eventually as the "elitists" such as yourself die out. I have done countless hours of research both on these boards, watching videos and reading books. When I do choose to post something here, it is to have people with more experience than myself to weigh-in on various topics. It IS NOT just to have something answered just to digest it with no further input. Your interpretation of my persistence in asking questions is skewed, at best. The answers to my questions were considered; the conversation was just not over in my opinion. At any rate, thanks again for making this yet another uncomfortable thread that you can now add to your ever-growing resume.

Vilurum

Arachnosquire
First thing that comes to mind is the thick gaunlets used when working with Birds of Prey.

Imagine maintenance with that :p

yodaxtreme545

Arachnosquire
I personally wouldn't use gloves as it would be more of a hinderance to me while I do any sort of transering or whatever. With that said, you need to try doing it with gloves then without and find which one works for you and stick to it. They are your T's and if you really are that worried about being bit then use gloves if they work for you. It's personal preferance in this matter.

s3cretz

Arachnopeon
you didn't reject the answer, true. you ignored it entirely.

joe might be a little blunt but his point is valid.
It was a discussion. Not something that was to be open and shut. I didn't dismiss or ignore anything, rather posted my response because the logic wasn't making sense. The intent was to have more than one or two people post their opinions.

And "a little blunt" is being pretty generous.

---------- Post added 02-20-2012 at 01:28 PM ----------

Thanks to all of you that have posted intelligent, constructive responses.

Last edited:

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
It was a discussion. Not something that was to be open and shut. I didn't dismiss or ignore anything, rather posted my response because the logic wasn't making sense. The intent was to have more than one or two people post their opinions.

Hi s3cretz,

Welcome to the forums. Take Joe with a grain of salt. While his presentation may sometimes be a bit lacking, he does have the tarantula's best interests at heart.

Gloves may or may not be the answer as they can come with their own complications.

Pros
  • They may protect from a bite. From an active defense by a tarantula, not so much. I've heard anecdotal reports of tongs and other such implements being removed from keepers hands by tarantulas. If they can grip with enough force to pull something out of your hand, do you think a puffy glove can really stop it if it wants to bite you?

Cons
  • Limited mobility/dexterity if they are thick enough to be of any protection.
  • If the tarantula does bite the glove, there is the chance of the fangs getting caught in them leading to the possible injury of the T.
  • They really wont help much if the T runs up your arm and bites you in the face. :wink:

The best defense against a bite is to know your tarantula. Is it a pet rock or lightning in a tank? Always be aware of where the tarantula is in the enclosure. Keep your interaction with the enclosure to a minimum. Do what you have to do and get out. Don't take your eyes off what you are doing, you'd be surprised how quick the slowest tarantula can move when you're not paying attention. Know what you're going to do beforehand if the tarantula does something unexpected.

When it comes to yearly maintenance, the easiest thing is to restrict the tarantulas movement. This can be done using "cup and carry" or as simply as just blocking it in it's hide.

IMO gloves aren't worth the hassle or potential injury to the T. It's when you feel that you have nothing to worry about that accidents happen and gloves are really nothing more than a false sense of security.

Regards,
Scott

yodaxtreme545

Arachnosquire
Hi s3cretz,

Welcome to the forums. Take Joe with a grain of salt. While his presentation may sometimes be a bit lacking, he does have the tarantula's best interests at heart.

Gloves may or may not be the answer as they can come with their own complications.

Pros
  • They may protect from a bite. From an active defense by a tarantula, not so much. I've heard anecdotal reports of tongs and other such implements being removed from keepers hands by tarantulas. If they can grip with enough force to pull something out of your hand, do you think a puffy glove can really stop it if it wants to bite you?

Cons
  • If the tarantula does bite the glove, there is the chance of the fangs getting caught in them leading to the possible injury of the T.
  • They really wont help much if the T runs up your arm and bites you in the face. :wink:

The best defense against a bite is to know your tarantula. Is it a pet rock or lightning in a tank? Always be aware of where the tarantula is in the enclosure. Keep your interaction with the enclosure to a minimum. Do what you have to do and get out. Don't take your eyes off what you are doing, you'd be surprised how quick the slowest tarantula can move when you're not paying attention. Know what you're going to do beforehand if the tarantula does something unexpected.

When it comes to yearly maintenance, the easiest thing is to restrict the tarantulas movement. This can be done using "cup and carry" or as simply as just blocking it in it's hide.

IMO gloves aren't worth the hassle or potential injury to the T. It's when you feel that you have nothing to worry about that accidents happen and gloves are really nothing more than a false sense of security.

Regards,
Scott
Well said. Thank you.

Ben Oliver

Arachnopeon
i have never used cloves to handle ( clean or water or remove a T or any lizards from their enclosures ) and my reason is that their hooks on their feet can get hung up on the gloves, and make the T freak out. and for lizards if they try to bite I would my best to get my hand out of their mouth, and if that don't work then i get bit, another one to add to the collection. if a lizard bites a glove its teeth and claws can get stuck in the glove, than you have to worry about pulling its teeth out. you can use that reference for Tokay and other geckos as well as monitors or any other biters. i have messed more with lizards and snakes over the 20 years i have had exotic critters, but i have started messing with T's for over a year now. i have defensive and calm species of T. i have used what i have learned from the lizards and flipped it to the T's.

s3cretz

Arachnopeon
Hi s3cretz,

Pros

Cons

Regards,
Scott
Hey Scott,

Thanks for addressing my questions. Yours, along with some others here, have definitely cleared up some misconceptions I may have had. At the end of the day, my goal is to minimize potential risks to my pets, as well as myself. I appreciate you taking the time to respond in a constructive fashion.

Cheers,
Chris

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Your interpretation of my persistence in asking questions is skewed, at best.
You may wish to consider that statement and apply it to yourself, as well.

Maybe I should use smileys when answering, so your interpretation of my posts isn't as "skewed" as you claim mine to be?

This is how I understood the thread prior to my post:

You: Why would you not want to wear gloves?

Storm76/Shell: Gloves won't help, a tarantula can most likely bite through them, and they make it difficult for you to do whatever you are doing.

You (direct quote this time): Looking at my Smithi's (5.5" MF) fangs, they're pretty small and I couldn't see her penetrating some thick, puffy winter gloves.

So if you could give me a little bit more of an explanation as to how this should be seen as you 'digesting information' rather than 'ignoring/disregarding/disagreeing with' it, that would be very helpful to me.

Now to address a few specific items from your above quote:

Your methods keep people like myself from posting in these forums. Who wants to ask questions for "fear" of being shellacked by someone like yourself?
You do, apprently:

I'm sure this thread will get flamed...
So you expected people to 'flame' you (although I don't feel my post was even remotely close to it), then you went off on me for something you expected to be done anyway. I don't get it. :?

Next:

That being said, you sir, have a lot to learn with respect to communication, people skills and most of all, tolerance. I'm sure you have years of experience on me in the T hobby, but I wouldn't dream of conducting myself the way you do in my area of expertise, Leopard Geckos.
You sir, should take how you interpret text on an Internet forum a little more lightly. Just because I don't sugar-coat my responses for the easily-offended does not mean I am intolerant, disrespectful, or have poor people skills. Sure, maybe I'm not perfect, but with all due respect, you don't know me in real life and have no idea what kind of person I actually am.

Next:

Without newcomers to the hobby, the hobby will die out eventually as the "elitists" such as yourself die out.
Either I'm just not getting it, or you conveyed your thought incorrectly. What this says, I think, is that the hobby will die out as the "elitists" (such as myself :rolleyes:) die out, unless there are newcomers.

Is this what you meant? That us "elitists" are what hold this hobby together? :? I'm genuinely not understanding this, so please clarify if you wouldn't mind.

Next:

At any rate, thanks again for making this yet another uncomfortable thread that you can now add to your ever-growing resume.
I'm sorry my single post has made this thread uncomfortable for you. As I've already stated, perhaps you should re-evaluate yourself to determine whether or not you are just being offended too easily. I didn't 'yell', I didn't bold my text (other than in your quotes, to identify the specific sentences/thoughts I was replying to), and I asked questions to try and clarify your responses, which you did.

Lastly:

Don't you feel like this essentially makes you a hypocrite? Where's the constructive, intelligent conversation? Don't you think this kind of makes your entire argument against me invalid, since you're flat-out taking a shot at me?

As for these last two:

Thanks to all of you that have posted intelligent, constructive responses.
Hey Scott,

Thanks for addressing my questions. Yours, along with some others here, have definitely cleared up some misconceptions I may have had. At the end of the day, my goal is to minimize potential risks to my pets, as well as myself. I appreciate you taking the time to respond in a constructive fashion.

Cheers,
Chris
Again, I feel as if the comments made here are specifically targeting me for not having a response that fit within your 'comfort zone'. What, again, makes these types of responses appropriate but mine so damaging and harmful?

Do you know why I didn't add a sentence that said 'gloves are pointless, tarantulas can bite through them, yadda yadda yadda'?

Because it was already said, and (from how I understood your response) was dismissed. I don't tend to repeat what others have said just for the sake of a post. If you had included in your response something like, "I would like to have additional input from other members", then that's a different story. However, I didn't see anything of that nature in your initial response:

So there you have it, my much longer, drawn-out response that hopefully clarifies my position. If not, so be it.

yodaxtreme545

Arachnosquire
To xhexdx: You made some valid points I agree with and I will not waste anymore space discussing which ones they are as they have already been made.

To s3cretz: I see no reason why you assumed this question would bring you any kind of negativity from the users here. Perhaps you should give people more credit than that because most here including the " eletists ", have no problem giving their opinions on such matters.Just make sure to take what they have to say into concideration as I think you are. Seeing as it's not the easiest to put emotion and tone into the words we type, take care in what you type because it could be interpreted differently from what you meant. You got alot of opinions on this question, n ow it's up to you take decide whats best for you and your T's. Welcome to the group and let us know when you have any other questions. Take care.

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
MrDeranged said:
Pros

They may protect from a bite. From an active defense by a tarantula, not so much. I've heard anecdotal reports of tongs and other such implements being removed from keepers hands by tarantulas. If they can grip with enough force to pull something out of your hand, do you think a puffy glove can really stop it if it wants to bite you?

Cons

Limited mobility/dexterity if they are thick enough to be of any protection.
If the tarantula does bite the glove, there is the chance of the fangs getting caught in them leading to the possible injury of the T.
They really wont help much if the T runs up your arm and bites you in the face.

The best defense against a bite is to know your tarantula....Always be aware of where the tarantula is in the enclosure. Keep your interaction with the enclosure to a minimum. Do what you have to do and get out. Don't take your eyes off what you are doing, you'd be surprised how quick the slowest tarantula can move when you're not paying attention. Know what you're going to do beforehand if the tarantula does something unexpected.

+1 Well said!
In addition to fangs getting hung in gloves, there is also the loss of tactility for the keeper.
Cats and some dogs can bite through Kevlar so I imagine it wouldn't be too difficult for a large tarantula, either.
They really wont help much if the T runs up your arm and bites you in the face.
I chuckled at this... I've heard of this happening, whether gloves were involved or not, and hope to avoid it myself at all costs. :)