Is priority shipping that bad?

Nate4991

Arachnosquire
Hi i was wondering if anyone can post there stories about priority shipping w/o LAG. Im asking since im unemployed w/o income and i always want to buy T's but could never afford the express shipping w/ LAG. I would like to know if anyone has any trouble w/priority w/o LAG instead of express. Thanks and much appreciated

InvertFix

Arachnobaron
It really depends on where the T's are coming from, how the packing is, if there are heat/cool packs and what the weather is like. Sometimes I get the priority shipping, I've never had a problem with it though. (except my anticipation of waiting forever.)

---------- Post added 02-20-2012 at 04:28 PM ----------

I do reccomend that if the shipment is coming from a long ways away that you get express shipping. I know I wouldn't want to be cramped in a dark box getting tossed around for a long period of time.

SC Tarantulas

Arachnoknight
I have only had T's shipped once priority. Everything was fine but there are so many things that can happen. It would be a shame to spend the money on the T's and have something go wrong in shipping. Then you would be out that money you spent with no LAG.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Like Fix said, it really depends on the packaging, time of year, origin and destination of the package. I have recieved and done alot of priority shipments, and have never had any bad luck with them, but have had bad luck with express. Sometimes it just happens.

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've shipped and received tarantulas through priority before with no problems. However, I tend to use express just for the LAG. If you're dropping a good chunk of money on a package, LAG is worth the extra cost.

I once had a box of tarantulas survive a trip from me on the west coast, to the east coast, and then back to me on the west coast in the middle of a storm in January with no losses. The only DOA I've ever had was from an express shipment, so sometimes you just don't know. Tarantulas can certainly survive priority shipment if the packaging is done well, and the temperature range is ok.

Nate4991

Arachnosquire
Ive noticed that Jamie's tarantulas offers $15 shipping w/LAG. Any takes on that?

billopelma

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I've found that standard UPS ground gets there next day if the shipping distance isn't too far. I'm in Ma and if I send anywhere in the northeast it's less than 24 hrs and you get tracking too! I'll LAG those...
USPS priority tends to take at least two days even when close, though I've still had good luck with it and like others have received a DOA with express. I've heard conjecture that express packages get handled rougher but have nothing to substantiate that.

Bill

gottarantulas

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Re: Priority shipping

I've bought T's every month for the last almost year and a half from all parts of the country (I live in Southern California) and all of my orders have been shipped Priority with no problems and not one loss. I think in the winter months you have to be a little judicious when purchasing from buyers that are a long distance from you. Usually, if I purchase from a seller from the Central time zone westward, I get the package the next day. Farther than that, I don't expect the package to arrive for at leat 2 days. In which case I make arrangements for the seller to include a heat pack or if applicable, a cold pack. On the flip side if you were to make a sizeable order or purchase a very expensive T, why wouldn't you go that extra mile or get that extra bit of insurance of Overnight shipping (in the event it's the normal $30-$35, there is the case of one notable seller that only goes with one shipping carrier to the West coast and they charge $65 shipping...that's way too much).

Chicken Farmer

Arachnosquire
I've only ordered T's once, that was this month. I decided to do, priority and added a heat pack for a little extra money. I would do LAG if it was an expensive order.

priority shipping turned out fine for me. they were shipped a Monday afternoon and arrived Thursday early afternoon. they came from Nebraska to Idaho.

Anonymity82

Arachnoprince
I do reccomend that if the shipment is coming from a long ways away that you get express shipping. I know I wouldn't want to be cramped in a dark box getting tossed around for a long period of time.
I only ordered two T's offline and one was from the middle of the country and the other from the other side. Both priority. The one from California got here a few hours earlier than the one from the middle of the country. I should add that both of these got here in less than two days and the two people I ordered from included heat packs free of charge. Just read all of the shipping information they offer and ask them any questions you have. Keep the emails too until the sale is final and you're pleased.

Those two times, I didn't have a problem. They were both slings. If you're planning on buying an older T, I would go with the express because I don't think they fair as well with shipping. I also would consider on the price of the T you're getting. If you're buying an eighty dollar 3" B. smithi, I would go with express. If you're buying a 9 dollar OBT ~1" sling, than the priority would probably be fine. Just my opinion gathered from my experience and what I've read. Good luck!

Do you have any idea on what T you're planning on getting?

---------- Post added 02-20-2012 at 08:14 PM ----------

I've found that standard UPS ground gets there next day if the shipping distance isn't too far. I'm in Ma and if I send anywhere in the northeast it's less than 24 hrs and you get tracking too! I'll LAG those...
USPS priority tends to take at least two days even when close, though I've still had good luck with it and like others have received a DOA with express. I've heard conjecture that express packages get handled rougher but have nothing to substantiate that.

Bill
I worked at a parcel company and yes, I have to agree with the rougher handling.

Last edited:

Nate4991

Arachnosquire
Im pretty much looking for cheap slings to expand my collection. Atm im looking for obt's,brachys,and just about any other t thats around $20 at most.

HoboAustin

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ive noticed that Jamie's tarantulas offers $15 shipping w/LAG. Any takes on that?
her shipping is really good. I've never seen any bad post about her before. I've ordered from her and the packing was great. It also came in 2 days instead of 3.

Anonymity82

Arachnoprince
her shipping is really good. I've never seen any bad post about her before. I've ordered from her and the packing was great. It also came in 2 days instead of 3.
Yeah, she shipped from the California and it got here in under 48 hours (in NC).

HoboAustin

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Im pretty much looking for cheap slings to expand my collection. Atm im looking for obt's,brachys,and just about any other t thats around $20 at most.
Her obt slings are really cheap. That's what I ordered from her. Arrived perfectly healthy and active.

Last edited:

nikki9093

Arachnosquire
i have ordered from jamie, and from one other person. both were priority and i got jamies in two days, and i got daves in two days.c(cali to WA and oregon to WA) i have one coming from florida, and i got express overnight for that one. it really does depend where you live, what you are getting and the weather.

Earthworm Soul

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I mostly deal by priority, the only DOA I ever sent was by express (and it was a 4" female balfouri, of course).

Quazgar

Arachnoknight
Not to beat a dying horse here, but my first order I had shipped priority without any issues. Came from California to NC in I think 2 days.

My biggest piece of advice would be to check out all the seller's reviews to get a good feel for how well packaged the spiders will be. And I second the suggestion to factor in the price of the T. $30 express is much easier to justify on a $200 T. blondi than on a $5 OBT