Could Meal/Super worm's be used as a staple diet? I hate crickets!!!!

Nate4991

Arachnosquire
As everyone else does, I DESPISE CRICKETS!!! I hate their smell,life span, maintenance, sounds,etc. I was wondering if meal/super worms could be used as a staple diet for my T's. Thanks

chaco

Arachnosquire
i wear gloves when feeding my t's crickets cause iam allergic I also for the sound problem I clip there wings completely off sound problem solved XD

---------- Post added 02-20-2012 at 05:53 PM ----------

as for super worm or meal worms i tryed them but some t's wont take em in my experiences

BenjaminBoa

Arachnosquire
I have a friend who feeds just super worms, though after 4 months of doing this she switched to superworms and roaches. Just be careful if feeding slings superworms, I know the mouthparts on those things are sharp, I could see a superworm being able to really hurt a young T if it managed to get a bite in the right spot. As far as nutrition goes... I don't know if those can be gut loaded, I don't feed superworms. If the tarantula doesn't eat them or drops them they burrow in the substrate and are gone till they rot or turn into a beetle. I also would feel worried a molting T could get hurt by hungry superworms. For an arboreal I'd feel weird feeding superworms too because it would have to be fed by tongs, some T's just don't seem to take to tongs, my A. avic and cobalt blue are afraid of tongs, my GBB and my versi don't mind tongs.

Nate4991

Arachnosquire
A few of my t's are eating worms atm. Im going to try to get them all on it. I normally feed my t's with tongs.

Billeh

Arachnosquire
I use mealworms and superworms for all my T's after a certain size. They are MUCH easier to keep than crickets, make no noise and less smell. They are fattening and have a lot of protein. Every month I buy a few gravid female crickets and feed them to my T's for variety, but at my house I have about 100 worms at a time.

I have left a worm in my G.roseas tank twice, once, the worm was gone for a while, I later found it under the water dish attempting to pupate (they pupate into a cocoon and then become beetles). The second time, I witnessed my G.rosea dig it out, snatch it, and run back into her hide. I personally feel as if they like the worms a lot more than crickets, I recommend them

SC Tarantulas

Arachnoknight
In my opinion B. dubias are the way to go. They don't fly, smell, or make noise and it is very easy to maintain a breeding colony. An all around great feeder.

billopelma

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Short answer no.
Actually the short answer is no one knows if the higher fat content is good or bad for t's (unless you have some new info on research in this area?).

Bill

lizardminion

Arachnolord
Use roaches, they are way better! Easier to culture, harmless, and come in many varieties to suit your needs!
oh yeah, and they don't end up burying themselves and dying, which makes a mess.
Plus, some tend to be fascinating. to their owners apparently...
Dubias, Hissers, Lobsters...

Frostbite

Arachnopeon
I try several types of food and stick with the one that the particular tarantula likes. I do prefer Dubias, but not all of my (70) taran's like them. Right now, I have a 7 year old rosie that has a best friend living in her enclosure with her. I gave her a big fat female dubia a couple of months ago and she refused to eat it. Now the two of them sit side by side in the sun just like they were sisters. Rosie gets her cricket and the roach get a little lettuce. Grandkids absolutely love it.

kristofer

Arachnopeon
I fed my 1/4 inch B. Smithi sling with superworms ONLY now she is a 4 inch juvenile, i've had her since 2008, she is perfectly healthy.

InvertFix

Arachnobaron
I still think roaches would be better.
I don't know why I think of superworms and T's like feeding your child nothing but twinkies. :p

If you do decide to switch to some roaches, I could send you some of mixed sizes with a few males and gravid females.

xtianD

Arachnopeon
I still think roaches would be better.
I don't know why I think of superworms and T's like feeding your child nothing but twinkies. :p

If you do decide to switch to some roaches, I could send you some of mixed sizes with a few males and gravid females.
Roaches are the way to go, too, I believe.. The problem is B dubias are illegal here in Canada (that sucks so much..).... And I believe in some other countries, as well...