Tarantula molting questions

tarantido

Arachnopeon
A few weeks ( about 3 weeks ) ago I got my first tarantulas, a b. albopilosum and a b. smithi. The albopilosum was an inch and the smithi .75 inch. Two days ago they molted and now they size up to 1.5 inches and 1 inch respectively. The albopilosum ate three worms the day after but the smithi isn't eating yet. I'm getting worried since its abdomen did not grow at all, when will it be able to eat? And also at what size can I determine the T's sex? Sorry for the dumb questions but I'm still a beginner.:biggrin:Thanks

funkymonk

Arachnopeon
Best to leave feeding for at least a week after a molt, as the fangs will need time to harden up enough. They will go much longer without food and will eat when ready, so don't worry. Many threads on here about sexing, can be done by examining the molt or from looking at the underside of the abdomen, but need to get to around 2 inches plus, if you post decent pics up on here in the tarantula sexing area i'm sure somebody could give you an indication when they get a bit bigger.

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
Never feed the day after a molt, with small slings, 5-7 days is how long I wait. They need time to harden back up and can damage their fangs if fed too soon. The abdomen is going to look smaller after a molt, that is normal. Once the spider is able to start eating again after the molt, the abdomen will fatten back up.

As for sexing, as already said, there is a bunch of info regarding that on here. Run a search, that should answer your questions. :)