Ceratogyrus brachycephalus "hobby form"

Ceratogyrus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
So what exactly is Ceratogyrus brachycephalus "hobby form" and why is its horn smaller than the usual C.brachycephalus?
Would you say the spider pictured below is C.brachycephalus "hobby form"?

Ceratogyrus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks for the reply. :)
The pic is indeed a cross breed (Not bred by myself). It is a cross between a C.darlingi and C.brachycephalus. So seems that there are not many pure brachycephalus in the overseas hobby because of hybridization. :(
Here is a true C.brachycephalus and another species if someone would like to take a guess. :)

C.brachycephalus

Other Ceratogyrus:

Zoltan

Cult Leader
Old Timer
The pic is indeed a cross breed (Not bred by myself). It is a cross between a C.darlingi and C.brachycephalus.
That goes to show that "hobby C. brachycephalus" is not a clearly defined term, not really even a real term, and that apparently C. brachycephalus wasn't crossbred with only one species: the one(s) seen in the link I posted were hypothesised to have been crossbred with a Ceratogyrus species that has a "double" opisthosomal band (one that covers both pairs of booklungs), but C. darlingi has a "single" opisthosomal band (only covers the anterior pair).

Ceratogyrus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Which have double bands? C.marshalli and C.sanderi?
Possibly a cross between C.brachycephalus and C.marshalli?

---------- Post added 02-26-2012 at 09:27 PM ----------

are the hybrid offspring being produce sterile?
Pretty sure they are not, as it seems most of the USA (And Europe's?) brachycephalus are hybrids and people seem to be breeding them.
All the brachycephalus in the breeding threads on here look like hybrids to me: http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?64367-Ceratogyrus-brachycephalus-hobby-form

Seems even this "C.sanderi" http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?200185-Ceratogyrus-sanderi is brachycephalus "hobby form"

Last edited:

Zoltan

Cult Leader
Old Timer
Which have double bands? C.marshalli and C.sanderi?
Possibly a cross between C.brachycephalus and C.marshalli?
Those two and C. meridionalis for sure, but I would have to check for the others to say with certainty those are all with double bands.

Does your hybrid have a single or double band?

Ceratogyrus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Those two and C. meridionalis for sure, but I would have to check for the others to say with certainty those are all with double bands.

Does your hybrid have a single or double band?
Will have to check tonight if they are out. Good question though, the thought hadn't really crossed my mind yet.

Ceratogyrus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Difficult to see on the spiders that are still so small, but looks like a single band. The 2nd pair of booklungs look light though, but will have to have a look when they are a bit bigger I guess.

Ceratogyrus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Had a look at some of the brachycephalus x darlingi and the offspring have double abdominal bands! Both the parent species have single bands though.

I see my pics have moved, so will repost the originals tomorrow.

Ceratogyrus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ok, seems I can't edit my posts, so here are the pics.
C.brachycephalus "hobby form" (C.brachycephalus x darlingi)

C.brachycephalus

C.sanderi