Gromphadorhina oblongonota

Camden

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
"Wide-horned hissers". I've seen them sold at a few places, and I realize that their care would be almost identical to portentosa (Madagascar hisser) but little information is to be shared elsewhere. I'm mainly curious about the breeding, has anyone ever bred these? How do they do? How long does it take a 1i nymph to reach adulthood? (I have little knowledge of portentosa as well, besides on how one would keep them, so I might just be being a complete moron here)

Any information on these really would be nice, just your experience with them. thanks.

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have some and they are huge. I got them from http://roachcrossing.com/

Search the forum for Gromphadorhina portentosa and do that. That's what I did and they are happy, healthy and reproducing. I have 6 species of hissing roaches from Madagascar and these are my biggest. Dwarf hissers are also very cool and super cute.

Camden

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have some and they are huge. I got them from http://roachcrossing.com/

Search the forum for Gromphadorhina portentosa and do that. That's what I did and they are happy, healthy and reproducing. I have 6 species of hissing roaches from Madagascar and these are my biggest. Dwarf hissers are also very cool and super cute.
So they breed pretty much just like portentosa? How big of a tank/tub do you have them in?

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
So they breed pretty much just like portentosa? How big of a tank/tub do you have them in?
Yes, mine seem to breed like portentosa. I have them in an 18 gallon Sterilite tote container. I have 2 inches of coir as a substrate that is moist. I have water gel on one end and dry dog food in a food bowl on the other end of the container. I have 5 cardboard egg flats set on their side. I also have isopods and springtails in the substrate to keep the container clean. I have a secure lid but also a 4 inch Vaseline barrier below the lid to minimize escapes.