Mopani wood and millipedes

StreetTrash

Arachnoknight
I ran a search but didn't find anything on this topic. Basically, I'm new to keeping millipedes. I never had much interest in them, but recently acquired some Ivories. They have been fascinating to watch, and I think I'm hooked. I know that some tropical hardwoods can be dangerous to humans if you happen to breathe the saw dust. I have a few unused pieces of Mopani wood and some grape wood. Just wondering if there is any danger putting it in with my new buddies.

Thanks for any help.

Nate

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
I've seen the unsealed Mopani used in aquariums so I can only assume it's safe? Helpful link:

http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/wood.shtml

Grape tends to mold in all but the driest setups. I'm personally not that concerned with mold in millipede setups and it doesn't seem to effect the Ivories although I wonder if excessive amounts would be detrimental.

Camden

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I would use it..It's an aquatic wood and it's very dense and hard, I use it for my cockroaches to climb on. I love it, it's pretty cheap as well.

SDCPs

Arachnolord
I would use it..It's an aquatic wood and it's very dense and hard, I use it for my cockroaches to climb on. I love it, it's pretty cheap as well.
Maybe I'm thinking of the wrong wood (I thought that stuff was pretty pricy), but it depends on what you think is cheap. I just go collect some wood for my millipedes...wood they can actually eat (better for em) so I get a better product at literally a fraction of the cost.

Camden

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Maybe I'm thinking of the wrong wood (I thought that stuff was pretty pricy), but it depends on what you think is cheap. I just go collect some wood for my millipedes...wood they can actually eat (better for em) so I get a better product at literally a fraction of the cost.
Well just assuming that he's getting a log of it for his pedes to climb on, if he wanted wood for them to eat it would be in small chunks, not a huge log.
I got a huge log of it for $8 i think, which might not be "cheap" but it's definitely better than a $14 tiny log of fake wood. (Not even corkbark, its just plasticy feeling crap)

SDCPs

Arachnolord
The thing is though that large rottingish logs are no problem! They like to climb on their food ;) So if I were to get a climbing log I'd make it food also. They love to graze the surface looking for other organisms and gushy spots to eat.

But yeah, a huge log for $8 is cheap, I just remember a nice sized one for $21...maybe that was African Iron Wood or something.

Camden

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Might have been just the log I got, but when I got a small log from outside and tried baking it, it fell apart. But that doesn't answer his question.
The answer to his question is Yes, Mopani wood is fine for millipedes :p

StreetTrash

Arachnoknight
Thanks peeps. I will be adding it mostly for decor and something for them to explore. I was mostly worried that it may harm them as it deteriorates and they nibble here and there. I also have a piece of driftwood i found at a reservoir, but I'm not certain what type of wood it is. There are a lot of Junipers around there...

SDCPs

Arachnolord
Even if it doesn't answer Street's question, it gives him an idea to consider, which might have been worth his while...but I'll let him comment if he wants to.

As to your driftwood, Street, it probably wouldn't be dangerous either. Rotting hardwoods are best, but mine seem to eat softwood too, so IDK.

StreetTrash

Arachnoknight
After reading over that link Zonbonzovi provided, I think I'll leave the driftwood out for now. For the time being I have ordered some pet bug substrate from Bugs in Cyberspace. It has hardwood, leaves, and rotting wood mixed in. I've got a base layer of peat and a thick layer of that will be applied today when it arrives. I've been supplementing their diet with the organic leafy greens I feed my rabbits, a small bit of timothy hay, and a few pieces of the dry cat food my roaches eat. I've seen them nibbling on the cork bark that is in there, and they all seem to like the cat food. Once our snow melts I plan on taking a hike up one of the canyons here to see about finding a larger piece of rotting hard wood. These things fascinate me! I'm very glad I decided to get them.

In the mean time, how necessary is a calcium supplement? I have read that people offer chalk, or cuttlebone to their millipedes. Is this just in case they want it, or a necessity?

I also was wondering if they would eat the exuvia of my roaches? I seem to recall reading that they need chitin.

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
It's funny what will appear out of nowhere from unsterilized wood. I used some that I thought had been well dried(summer sun & fireplace) and had the most peculiar things turn up in my axolotl tank. I've since removed it.

Bugs' substrate is microwaved & well mixed. It's a heckuva process but at least you know it's clean from the start.

Millies will absolutely much on roach exuvia. I've used well scrubbed egg shells ground down as an additive and they seem to appreciate that, as well.