Tarantula Eatting

Lost In Space

Arachnopeon
Simple question, My tarantula will pounce on a cricket within 5 minutes of me putting it in there, but it takes her UP TO SEVEN HOURS to fully eat it.. I'll check back in like 3-4 hours and she'll still have rather the head or legs sticking out.. another 3-4 hours go by and it'll be just a little left.. finally she will hve eaten it. Is this normal behaviour?

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
Yup.
It takes 'em a while sometimes.

HoboAustin

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
When a tarantula catches a cricket, it doesn't "eat" it in a traditional way. The T's fangs inject venom which will slowly turn the insides of a feeder into a soup like substance. They SUCK the soup up. They never eat as in taking bites. This process is slow, so yes this is normal.

Lost In Space

Arachnopeon
I know that their venom dissolves the crickets organs and then they begin to suck it out, I was just asking for the actual swallowing part - does it take that long. Thank you for your answers.

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
^+1 paassatt....... spencer, if ya think it takes a while to feed it a cricket, try feeding it a dubia :wink: just outta curiousity (and it has no significance) what kind of t and how big

paassatt

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Enzymes in a digestive fluid are what dissolves the prey.

paassatt

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
The enzymes found in their venom, correct?
No, the digestive fluid and venom are different. The venom incapacitates and kills the prey and the digestive fluid is what dissolves it, allowing it to be sucked into the spider's mouth.

HoboAustin

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
No. The venom originates in the spider's head and is released through the fangs, like a hypodermic needle. The digestive fluid comes from the stomach through the mouth. They are different processes altogether.
I learn something new everyday. Thanks.

z32upgrader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My LP sling about 1.25' has been eating a .5" cricket for at least 6 hours now when he/she normally finishes it off in thirty minutes. This is the first meal since it molted a week ago. Red flags maybe?

spiderengineer

Arachnoangel
^+1 paassatt....... spencer, if ya think it takes a while to feed it a cricket, try feeding it a dubia :wink: just outta curiousity (and it has no significance) what kind of t and how big
yeah mine take about twice to three times as long to eat a roaches then a cricket.

Spiderkid

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I guess it's sorta like how it is with people; some of us can finish off a cheeseburger in about 2 seconds, others like to take their time :D There's probably a lot of different factors involved, like time since last meal, size of the T, size of the prey item, overall health of the spider,etc.

qpLMBqp

Arachnopeon
Mine has taken like 5 minutes to eat it, one time an hour... They're weird like that.