WC roaches from isopod source

Dr Acula

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have an old tile sample wrapped in a pillowcase, that I leave outside to let isopods gather underneath. It proves quite effectively in gathering at least a few colonies worth and also pulls in roaches and millipedes. I collected some of the roaches and wanted to know what specific species they are. Was also going to try offering them to some of my Ts since the area I collect them from isn't affected by pesticides.

Curious jay

Arachnodemon
I'm no expert but the black ones look similar to Princisia vanraewebeki, the others look a little like Eublaberus distani but can't see there heads so I'm not to sure, BUT these guesses are just from a quick scan of a few websites with feeder roaches so I doubt my guess is very accurate as a lot look very similar but maybe you could try the names I gave and try to cross reference them?

Dr Acula

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Pycnoscelus surinamensis.
Yes, that looks exactly like them. Thank you!

Would these serve as a healthier alternative to crickets? I would breed dubias but they're illegal in FL, so I'm thinking of settling with these guys.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i would definitely research before feeding. some roaches have decent repugnatorial secretions. a good trick, which i believe should apply to all roaches, is that when they molt the actually shed out their reserve of repug, and should be much safer to feed for a day or two

Bugs In Cyberspace

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
They make excellent feeders for all types of predators. I have a colony that I use for my reptiles but I don't sell them because they are too pesty. They are transported all over the country by the agricultural and floral industries. Two good points: they don't climb glass and breed quickly. You're doing your local ecosystem a favor each time you collect them (and non-native isopods, in my opinion).