Feeding Routines

Lost In Space

Arachnopeon
I have a 2.5" - 3" Avicularia azuraklaasi and I feed her every Tuesday and Friday. When do you guys think the meals should be cut down to only once a week? I've been told numerous times Juveniles should be fed more than adults but there are always some people out there who like to feed juvies once a week. Keep in mind she does always eat them. Also I only have one T, and I must buy crickets per dozen.. which is alright i guess since they are cheap.

Walk Alone

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
There is a lot of personal preference involved in feeding.

Once mine are around 2", I feed once a week. The smaller ones get hit twice a week. That's always the way I've done it and it works well for me.

Sesame Sam

Arachnosquire
All of my Ts get fed based on if they need it or not. The size of their abdomen is a good indication for this. Also some species have a higher metabolic rate and it also depends on that temperature your keeping your Ts at.

web eviction

Arachnolord
For everything under 3inches I offer food once a week any thing over I offer once every two weeks they get a 30 minute window to take the feeders and if they don't take them I remove them till the next feeding. It works for me and I havnt had any troubles....

InvertFix

Arachnobaron
I feed all my slings and juvies twice a week and my adults once a week. I also keep my T room at about 85-90 degrees farenheit. So they need those extra calories. :p

But as said, I also look at their rumps to see how big it is. I don't need to have any of my babies bust. D:

paassatt

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I also keep my T room at about 85-90 degrees farenheit.
Wow...that's hot! I don't know if I could stand to be in there to do feedings or maintenance for more than a few minutes before I'd have to bail out!

maxfightmaster

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i feed my slings one cricket the about the same size as the sling once a week. slings that are under 1/2" i kill the cricket and leave it in there for 24 hours. my 3" - adults i feed a superworm once ever two weeks. tho with my 3.5" B smithi i have to alternate superworm and large crickets every two weeks, or she will get to fat.

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
For everything under 3inches I offer food once a week any thing over I offer once every two weeks they get a 30 minute window to take the feeders and if they don't take them I remove them till the next feeding. It works for me and I havnt had any troubles....
+1
This is pretty much the rule of thumb that I follow. Also depends on the individual. I've got an Aphonopelma sp with 'fat butt syndrome', and a juvenile B. emilia with a cyst that only get fed once a month. My 3+" N. chromatus is in a gangly teenaged phase and has 8 hollow legs, so it gets fed about every 5 days.

Jared781

Arachnobaron
I feed all my slings and juvies twice a week and my adults once a week. I also keep my T room at about 85-90 degrees farenheit. So they need those extra calories. :p

But as said, I also look at their rumps to see how big it is. I don't need to have any of my babies bust. D:
Did you make your T room?

Zoltan

Cult Leader
Old Timer
I do not really follow a set feeding schedule but I feed all the young spiders generally or on average once every two weeks. I am not in a hurry to make them grow up fast.

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
I do not really follow a set feeding schedule but I feed all the young spiders generally or on average once every two weeks. I am not in a hurry to make them grow up fast.
This sounds just like how I feed. I have no real feeding schedule, but I do try to feed all the slings/juveniles once every two weeks.

InvertFix

Arachnobaron
I'm in no hurry either, I just keep my critter room hot so I feel they need the extra sustenance.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I feed my juvies and adults once every 2 weeks, my slings once per week.

And :D @mark - basically I got more T's that quickly because I was fed up with the size of feeders you have to buy. Doesn't help me having to herd a bunch of feeders that won't get eaten before they'll die anyways...:)

advan

oOOo
Staff member

I'm in no hurry either
Feeding twice a week and 85-90 degree temps sure does seem like a hurry to me. ;)