'Odd' spot on T. Stirmi abdomen.

SBeekman

Arachnopeon
I'm not sure if this is an indication of an upcoming molt (the black spot) or that it's something else. Also, the white stuff surrounding it kind of looks like mold to me. I've checked the enclosure but I haven't found ANY mold at all. Balding patches?

(Last time she molted was December 14th, or a day before/after that.)

Sorry, not the best photo.

Cuddy abdomen.jpg

Last edited:

SBeekman

Arachnopeon
Oh yeah, and I know there's two locusts there, one half paralyzed and one she's busy paralyzing. Something went horribly wrong when I was taking one out to feed to her.

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
im no blondi/stirmi expert, but to ME, that looks diff than any sign of premolt ive seen. when did it molt last, how long has that black stuff been there? looks like either old piece of exuvium, dried nasty poo or somethin worse... try cleanin it with a wet paintbrush/qtip if youre comfortable with doing so.. if its any of the 2 things i suggested it will likely come off.. hope thats all it is.. can ya get diff pics? try sending a pm to Fran... hes knowledgeable with the big beasts if i remember right...

---------- Post added 03-14-2012 at 10:56 PM ----------

aah.. just reread it and got answers to a q or two i asked... yeah, i still think try cleanin it .. post a better pic would help also. i know these guys are prone to cysts and stuff and are often WC and can have problems

dougle

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I was just reading about this species having parasitic wasp larvae in them sometimes if they are wild caught and the wasp larvae maturing and feeding inside the T eventually killing it...hope this is not the case...

Slevin

Arachnosquire
How's her demeanor, Beek? Has she seemed "off" or sluggish in any way? Any changes in her eating habits? And can I ask, what went horribly wrong with the locusts? =P

SBeekman

Arachnopeon
How's her demeanor, Beek? Has she seemed "off" or sluggish in any way? Any changes in her eating habits? And can I ask, what went horribly wrong with the locusts? =P
No, she's behaving just like her usual self. Not sluggish or 'off'. And she's still a beast when it comes to eating. And er... I'd rather not elaborate on the locust thing. She actually webbed in one of them.

Also, looking at photos of cysts on T's, this doesn't look like one.

And sorry, can't provide better photo's, made about 10 and this was the clearest one. Old, bad camera.

---------- Post added 03-15-2012 at 06:35 PM ----------

I was just reading about this species having parasitic wasp larvae in them sometimes if they are wild caught and the wasp larvae maturing and feeding inside the T eventually killing it...hope this is not the case...
You mean the Tarantula Hawk? She's 14 months old, I'm sure it would've come out by now if a Tarantula Hawk had layed eggs in her abdomen.

SBeekman

Arachnopeon
Okay, managed to get a better picture of her abdomen after all. I've tried using a brush with some water but she immediately turned around and attacked the brush! I could try again but don't want to stress her out too much. :-/

cuddyabdomen2.jpg

SBeekman

Arachnopeon
?

Does the locust incident have anything to do with the 'odd' spot?
No. She's had this spot for a week or so. And well, I was taking out a locust from the box they're in, threw it in her tank, and another one jumped right out into her burrow. She attacked both. That's all.

Sorry, didn't really want to embarrass myself.

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Ah, OK. I thought the locust might have something to do with the spot on the stirmi. Nasty mandibles + soft abdomens = bad. It looks to me like it may have gotten overzealous with kicking setae. Keep an eye on it but it doesn't look threatening at the moment.

SBeekman

Arachnopeon
Thanks. Feel a bit more reassured now. She's actually very active right now, crawling up the walls and all, which she usually does after having been fed. If it gets worse I'll post some more pictures.

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
whats so embarrassing about that? we all had a few escapee feeders at one point or another.. good thing i got some pits... perfect cricket hunters.. as long as i never lose a roach ill be happy. Anyway, hope your ts spot isn't anything serious. keep us updated

SBeekman

Arachnopeon
I just feel a bit intimidated by these boards at times, and this is my first T., and trying my hardest to keep her healthy and not overfeed her. Seems like she ate both locusts in the end. Can't find the remains anywhere, yet, though. She used to always drop them off in front of her burrow, but the last few months it's been hard finding them.

Anyway, thanks all for the help. :)

---------- Post added 03-15-2012 at 10:15 PM ----------

Ah, OK. I thought the locust might have something to do with the spot on the stirmi. Nasty mandibles + soft abdomens = bad. It looks to me like it may have gotten overzealous with kicking setae. Keep an eye on it but it doesn't look threatening at the moment.
So they have setae on their abdomen as well? Learn something new everyday.

Last edited:

Theist 17

Arachnosquire
So they have setae on their abdomen as well? Learn something new everyday.
Yeah, they do! That's what urticating "hairs" actually are.

Tarantulas don't have hairs, as such, but setae, which (if I recall correctly) are hollow tubelike structures, much like a hedgehog's bristles.

SBeekman

Arachnopeon
Well, I know not to trust sellers at all, but according to him, she should be 14 months old now.

Anyway, things don't seem to get better. Using a brush with water on her abdomen only made things worse. At least, it looks worse. :(

cuddyabdomen3.jpg

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi :)

First off, I would need to know her size but I highly doubt shes 14 months old. They grow fast, but I still doubt it.
Second, you have absolutely nothing to worry about. Thats a typical Theraphosa spot on her abdomen due to hair flicking and leg rubbing when "cleaning" themselves.
The color of the skin underneath as well as the overal color shows no signs of premolt (At least not coming any time soon). The brighter and the more red the skin appears, the "fresher" they are with the molt cycle.

SBeekman

Arachnopeon
Hi :)

First off, I would need to know her size but I highly doubt shes 14 months old. They grow fast, but I still doubt it.
Second, you have absolutely nothing to worry about. Thats a typical Theraphosa spot on her abdomen due to hair flicking and leg rubbing when "cleaning" themselves.
The color of the skin underneath as well as the overal color shows no signs of premolt (At least not coming any time soon). The brighter and the more red the skin appears, the "fresher" they are with the molt cycle.
Thanks a lot for taking the time to check this out. Feel very much relieved. I have nothing in my house to measure her at the moment, but I'm visiting my mom tomorrow and she'll probably have some tools. :) All I can give right now is a rough size comparison between my finger and her. Was taken a few weeks ago. The seller did have an exact date on paper on when she was born and the molts, but well... As I've learned, rule nr. 1 is to never trust petshop sellers (and this shop was specialized in reptiles on top of that).

I've cleaned the glass since then and added more substrate, by the way. :)
cuddysize.jpg

SBeekman

Arachnopeon
The spot is getting bigger rapidly. Though I've seen her grooming lately. Just not sure if it's something I should worry about. I'm quite paranoid when it comes to my T. and want her as healthy as possible. If this is nothing problematic, just ignore this post.

The white spots you see are just glass where there's not substrate. She's been burrowing very deep.
Cuddy abdomen 2.jpg

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
as stated that red/pink spot is nothin to worry about. thats from all the hairs being kicked and rubbed off when its irritated. good news is now that i see all that pink, im not worried about the black nasty spot earlier in this thread. i dont see anything threatening or crucial in this newest pic. no cysts .. all looks ok.. leave it alone for a while and give it a chance to calm down