37G Planted Viv for Avic

hydrophyte

Arachnoknight
37G Planted Viv for Avic

Hi everybody!

I just joined up here. I haven't kept tarantulas since I was a little kid but I am going to be getting an Avicularia (still deciding on a species) to go with a terrarium setup that I have been working on.

I link a picture of the setup below. I am more of a plant hobbyist and actually I do have a few pretty cool plants in there. I'm trading the plants for a spider.

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
yeah that tank IS pretty B.A..... i really like the grain and coloring on that piece of wood too...

hydrophyte

Arachnoknight
Hey thanks you guys. I made the driftwood feature with manzanita branches and a stiff sheet of PVC. The plastic sheet fits right into the grooves in teh top of the tank and it's handy because I can just lift the whole thing right out.

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
only if maintained 24-7, it looks wonderful I assume the daylight ight will be cycled on and off:) I also perdict your tarantula making a web in the cwalls of the tank, they have a thing for following the outskirts; hopefuly it will take to the drift wood if it can find it.

hydrophyte

Arachnoknight
Yes the lights will only be on for ~8 hours/day. The spider can just hide while the tank is lit up. I hope to set up some kind of dim dawn/dusk lighting and maybe it will have some activity then.

I hope that it will web more in the manzanita and less on the tank side panels. I'll see how it goes.

hydrophyte

Arachnoknight
Hey thanks so much. I might have more picture updates tomorrow. I want to add a few more plants.

hydrophyte

Arachnoknight
Oh this tank definitely has at least two kinds of snails in it. There aren't very many though and I hardly notice them. Snails are generally problematic only in new tank setups or if the tank is getting too much food.

That larger cichlid is a Cryptoheros cutteri, which are from Honduras.

hydrophyte

Arachnoknight
I got a quick picture here of the top rear panel with fan, knob handle, hygrometer and thermometer.

I cut a couple of notches for the airline too. And I also put a screen on the front of the fan. It was a wussy little fan to begin with and now the breeze from it is barely perceptible. I hope that it will help to mix that air anyway.

hydrophyte

Arachnoknight
Not much else new with this setup. I'm still trying to track down a spider.

Does anybody out there have any tips (or offers) for finding a sub-adult A. versicolor or something similar? I'm on a budget, but I also have some nice stuff that I can offer in trade.

hydrophyte

Arachnoknight
This is a different setup, but I got a few quick pictures to show the foliage in my 30G project with the "living fossils" plants. Here's a view in through the top.

That Zamia vasquezii fills up most of the tank. I pulled it out and got this shot to better show the rest of the plants.

They all look happy so far. That Didymochleana fern grows really fast and it's a good one for filling in. The Zamia integrifolia that I got from Florida all died back on top and I cut off the dead leaves, but the caudices are nice and firm and I hope they will resprout soon. The guy who sent them to me said that the leaves would dry up but resprout when I got the plants into stable conditions again.

hydrophyte

Arachnoknight
Still no spider yet, but here's another quick picture from a couple of weeks ago...

hydrophyte

Arachnoknight
I don't have much news to report for this project. I did finally find a spider...just need to go pick it up. I know that this setup is really big for a single A. versicolor, but like I mentioned I set this up mainly as a plant display, so I don't mind lots of extra room for the animal.

Here's an updated shot to show the planting. The plants are all looking happy.

This picture shows a few of those little palm seedlings in the foreground, also looking good and growing.

Low

Arachnoknight
You can get leaf litter from dart frog supply sites....
Joshs frogs, black jungle, neherp etc...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk