humidity question

apophysis

Arachnopeon
I got a question about humidity.. when i look at pictures from tarantula keepers from germany/uk you guys seem to keep your tarantulas pretty dry..
not very often i see a cage that has very moist substrate, even species like theraphosa, pamphobeteus are kept pretty dry in many pictures.. why is that?

im from Sweden and here in sweden ive been always told to keep tropical species moist and make sure that the substrate NEVER dries out..

i have always kept my tarantulas this way and never had a problem with anything pretty much, but im just curious because i feel like you guys out here are the "experts" ..

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
I don't know if I'm considered an "expert" or not, but it's quite possible to keep a high humidity without having wet substrate.
Personally I try to avoid using moist substrate as much as possible, as things like boluses go rancid pretty quick, and I don't use any isopods/cleanup crew (except the ones that find their way into my tanks through feeders or something).

kwacky

Arachnosquire
Personally it depends on the species and in particular where they are from. If they're used to living in borrows on the damp forest floors then they'll have a damp soft substrate. If they're from an arid or semi arid region then it'll be bone dry with a water bowl in the corner. If it's too dry your T will tell you by hanging out next to the water.

SC Tarantulas

Arachnoknight
I always use moist substrate in my enclosures covered with dry substrate. This keeps the humidity up without having to deal with mold. Then when I need to up the humidity I pour water down one corner of the enclosure so the bottom gets moist again while keeping the top dry.