Help identifying

trevorlee6

Arachnopeon
I recently got Whiptail from a local pet store though the employees did not know what type he is. If anyone could help, It would be much appreciated.

Attachments

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Being from a pet store, that explains it all. Yes that is a P. imperator scorpion.

theguns19726

Arachnosquire
And yet another consumer buys a scorpion without researching it first. At least you got a pretty docile scorp to practice on. Good luck, and enjoy that beauty.

voldemort

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
could it be that:

a. it is mislabeled; or
b. he named his scorpion "Whiptail"

lizardminion

Arachnolord
I want you... to go egg that pet store if they called it a whiptail. If that's it's name though, you could have said so. Here at Arachnoboards, we don't usually refer to animals by the personal names we give them. If we do though, we state so as to prevent confusion.

Otherwise, that's Pandinus imperator - the Emperor Scorpion

MaxxZacho

Arachnopeon
couldn't it be a Heterometrus? I say this because of the lighter colored telson/aculeus....

2nscorpx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
couldn't it be a Heterometrus? I say this because of the lighter colored telson/aculeus....
No, the chelae structure does not really suggest Heterometrus spp. It is a Pandinus spp., but I wouldn't say that it is P. imperator so definitively...it is most likely, but it could be another species.

It appears that 'Whiptail' is just the scorpion's name, why would it be capitalized?