Breeder Question

SamuraiSid

Arachnodemon
I was hoping an experienced Tarantula breeder could tell me what they do with all their slings.

For example, if you get 1,000 out of an Lp sac, what happens to each of them? I know the numbers will change with each sac, so Im specifically asking for some huge generalities.

Also, I read in a scorpion book (dont recall the name right now) it suggests allowing the slings to cannabolize each other until you get to a managable number. Is this common with breeders or frowned upon by AB peeps?

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
im not experienced, but id say YES.. once they hit 2i let them cannibalize down till only the strongest survive and youre left with more manageable numbers... then the options vary from selling the whole lot deeply discounted, trading, give aways, or paying for vials and separating them and hang on to them till ya sell them all off in smaller lots/in singles ... oh yeah.. ya could always keep some around for own experiments as well.. I plan on saving some of my regalis (providing i get some) for communal attempts. i want to do a close quarters enclosure, as well as one where they can all establish their own territories

SamuraiSid

Arachnodemon
Thanks for that Grayzone.

I have a suspect breeding pair of G rosea, and figure it would make a good first sac attempt, but wasnt sure how to deal with so many slings. Also, for some reason Im expecting some people to really hate the idea of cannabilzing slings, so figure Id like to know what the average AB'er thinks of the practise.

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You're not going to get a thousand out of a G. rosea sac. More like 150, if you're very lucky. Considering how difficult it is to breed this species in captivity, and how many are imported every year, I would encourage anyone not to cannibalize G. rosea slings. 150 is a manageable number, and taking the strain off wild populations is always a good thing. I totally understand doing it with Lp's. That's a lot of slings, and they are abundant in the hobby. CB G. rosea are a little different.

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?14037-Grammostola-rosea