White spots?

BloodFury

Arachnopeon
My A. versi has little white specs everywhere in its substrate, im worried that it might be mold..

BloodFury

Arachnopeon
DSCF2072.JPG
This is what im looking at, not sure if i need to take everything out and clean the tank or not.

sjeckert6297

Arachnopeon
IDK what that is, which is exactly why I would change it if it were in my enclosure. But I always play it safe. Does it move?

BloodFury

Arachnopeon
No, it dose not move. But its probably going to be best to change the substrate.

---------- Post added 03-19-2012 at 04:17 PM ----------

I'm sure it would be helpful if i could have gotten a better picture, but my camera sucks. :/

Chrisduhfur

Arachnopeon
Hmmm thats funny looking mold try letting the tank dry out that fixes most mold growth.

Thanks,
Chris

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Is the substrate as moist as it looks? Pictures can be deceiving sometimes. Anyways, if it is, I second the previous post. Let it dry out. It doesn't need to be that moist, and drying out should help with mold issues.

Ciphor

Arachnoprince
Not mold, It's a fungus.

Those are sporocarp, or fruiting (reproductive) bodies. The rest of the fungus is almost definitely spread throughout the enclosure already. On the positive side, I've never seen any indication that this type harms anything. What does this mean? Well, it looks very wide spread, which means you have either created a highly conductive environment for fungal growth, or you had spores already in the substrate before you added moisture.

What substrate are you using? If peat, buy a new bag, or go with cocofiber. Some spores may have been in with your peatmoss, or even your regular moss.

How humid is your enclosure? If it is to humid, you are welcoming the fungus with an open door. This fungus could be in and around your home already, and you simply gave it a perfect home.

How good is your ventilation? While good ventilation does not necessarily stop a fungus growth, it lets it breath naturally like it should, and prevents huge amounts of fungus from accumulating in your enclosure.

Again, this is not a dangerous type of fungus for you or your spider, but is still probably best to remove it, and take steps to ensure it stays gone, or manageable.

---------- Post added 03-19-2012 at 07:43 PM ----------

Oh and almost forgot :)

If you do decide to clean it and try and rid yourself of the fungus, you need to do it 100%. Everything must be cleaned and thoroughly rinsed, if you cut corners on any part of the cleaning, there is a good chance you will miss some spores and they will reproduce again. Without knowing what type of fungus that is, I cant tell you how persistent it will be. Some of the fungi that thrive in loose substrate like yours can be some of the most persistent fungi out there.

SC Tarantulas

Arachnoknight
Like Today jayefbe said that substrate looks wet (like queeze water out of it wet). That is perfect conditions for all kinds of things to grow. I would recommend to change the substrate (just to start fresh). Use moist substrate not wet (you should be able to squeeze it and no water runs out). Then cover that with dry substrate. This will keep humidity up and greatly reduce the odds of mold/fungus growth. Then when you need to up the humidity you just pour some water in one corner of the enclosure so it is absorbed under the surface keeping the top dry. You can also mist the glass if you like. Just remember humidity is moisture in the air not on the surface of the substrate. JMO. Hope it helps.

Dr Acula

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Not mold, It's a fungus.

Those are sporocarp, or fruiting (reproductive) bodies. The rest of the fungus is almost definitely spread throughout the enclosure already. On the positive side, I've never seen any indication that this type harms anything. What does this mean? Well, it looks very wide spread, which means you have either created a highly conductive environment for fungal growth, or you had spores already in the substrate before you added moisture.

What substrate are you using? If peat, buy a new bag, or go with cocofiber. Some spores may have been in with your peatmoss, or even your regular moss.

How humid is your enclosure? If it is to humid, you are welcoming the fungus with an open door. This fungus could be in and around your home already, and you simply gave it a perfect home.

How good is your ventilation? While good ventilation does not necessarily stop a fungus growth, it lets it breath naturally like it should, and prevents huge amounts of fungus from accumulating in your enclosure.

Again, this is not a dangerous type of fungus for you or your spider, but is still probably best to remove it, and take steps to ensure it stays gone, or manageable.

---------- Post added 03-19-2012 at 07:43 PM ----------

Oh and almost forgot :)

If you do decide to clean it and try and rid yourself of the fungus, you need to do it 100%. Everything must be cleaned and thoroughly rinsed, if you cut corners on any part of the cleaning, there is a good chance you will miss some spores and they will reproduce again. Without knowing what type of fungus that is, I cant tell you how persistent it will be. Some of the fungi that thrive in loose substrate like yours can be some of the most persistent fungi out there.
+1. My H lividum's old container had a major fungus problem, this looks exactly how it looked as well. I was told it was harmless so I didn't think much about it. However, a huge mushroom had grown inside of the burrow so there was no choice but to change the substrate. She's in a cereal box now and I've yet to see any fungal growth.

BloodFury

Arachnopeon
I use eco eath for substrate and it only looks that wet because i had misted that side and the water ran down the side, but perhaps i misted it too much?

Btw, Thanks everyone.

---------- Post added 03-19-2012 at 11:14 PM ----------

As for the ventilation, its just fine. my T's in a critter keeper and nothing is on top to prevent any ventilation. Im not sure about the humidity because i don't have a humidity gauge in his/her tank.

---------- Post added 03-19-2012 at 11:20 PM ----------

One more thing that might be the reason for the fungus. My T did spend a week at my parents house in the snake room while my apartment got flea bombed, sorta. But the snake room is pretty warm and humid. So im not sure if that had anything to do with it.