Herp thermostats

astraldisaster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Just wondering -- for those of you who use thermostats for your temperature-sensitive herps (or other critters), what brand(s) do you recommend?

I currently have a Zilla one (that cost about $60) for my emerald tree boa. It seems to work okay, though I have to set it a few degrees below the desired temperature. I'm relatively happy with it. However, I've just finished reading some customer reviews for a similar Zilla product on Amazon that have me majorly paranoid. People were saying the thing stopped working, and in one case severely overheated. So I think it might be time I replaced this thermostat with something a little more reliable. I'm also looking into getting another one for my hedgehog's cage. Amazon and LLL pretty much only show me the crappy Zilla ones and I'm not sure where else to look...I want something that won't break the bank, but that I can trust not to fry my pets.

happysmile88

Arachnoknight
A thermostat is always a good idea. As long as you have a thermostat, it's very unlikely that you fry or freeze your pet. You just have to make sure that your probe is secure to wherever you attached it. I use a flexwatt made from China and its all good as long as i have a thermostat.

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If you monitor temps and are ok with some flunctuations then a rheostat is a good option. The best thing to do is to either choose heat sources that even if your thermostat/rheostat fails in the on position will at worst make your herp uncomfortable...or look for models that fail in the off position(shutting off the heat rather than leaving it on).

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I would not use ANY of the thermostats commonly sold in pet stores. Unfortunately, they are not accurate and are poorly made. I highly recommend Herpstat thermostats. Helix also make decent thermostats (so I've heard), but the herpstat offer more control options. It's the only thermostat that I would trust with expensive animals.

http://beanfarm.com/product_info.php?cPath=1238&products_id=6082

Apparently they've added a new introductory model since I last purchased a thermostat. It's probably the only proportional thermostat for under $100.

http://beanfarm.com/product_info.php?cPath=1238&products_id=6075