Costa Rican Beetle ID

Tarac

Arachnolord
I can't see the image, is it just me?

Again, as mentioned in the last post about moths- you can buy a dead, dried specimen of that beetle (regardless of what it is EXCEPT for CITES species of course) from a lot of places. Lots of places vending dead insect specimens.

You cannot buy it alive unless someone in Texas is selling it, which is highly unlikely. It is illegal to transport almost all insects across states lines, let a lone national borders. The list of insects you can legally import (which would be interstate ONLY, not international and even that has rules about where the shipment can originate- i.e. east or west of the Mississippi, etc.) can probably be counted on your fingers and maybe a few toes. I assure you that EVERYTHING Costa Rican will require I permit period.

Insects are considered agricultural or potential agricultural pests and/or nuisance organisms. Purchasing any insect via mail order from outside your state is illegal and can result in large fines and possible jail time.

Before you start asking people where you can buy something, you should check with your local FW and the USDA to find about regulations in your area. The answer won't change whether you are asking about a moth, a beetle, a grasshopper, a stick bug. You have to have a permit.

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Megasoma elephas ? As mentioned, you cant get them here (legally)

Later, Tom

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
? I see a large, colorful Orthopteran in the photo, def. not a beetle.

Tenodera

Arachnobaron
The grasshopper is a Tropidacris species. T. collaris is fairly popular in the UK, but you'd need to go through a lot to have a chance at them in the states.