Heteropoda Davidbowie

Frogo224

Arachnopeon
I've have been looking for this species of Huntsman spider for quite some time and have found multiple dealers with none in stock. Does anyone know of a reliable online dealer or breeder that offers this species. Any help is appreciated, thanks!:biggrin:

swithers

Arachnopeon
As they are an endangered species I really wouldn't hold my breathe on that one.

Ciphor

Arachnoprince
Very few in the world, I doubt many even know what isolated spot they have been hiding in for all this time undetected.

Ciphor

Arachnoprince
idk about endangered or rare but platnick as them in three countries... that doesn't necessarily mean they aren't endangered or rare, but it is better than them being from just one teeny tiny little part of one country
http://research.amnh.org/iz/spiders/catalog/SPARASSIDAE.html
"Peter Jäger, the German spider expert who discovered the Heteropoda davidbowie, said that naming spiders after celebrities helped draw attention to the marginal status of many species as human activity destroys their habitats."

They are so newly discovered, so hard to say, but it sounds like they are endangered. Some countries are reluctant to add spiders to their endangered species list.

Last edited:

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Adding something to a list has nothing to do with protection...wish it would.....

Verstuurd van mijn GT-I9001 met Tapatalk

Frogo224

Arachnopeon
Hey guys sorry ive been on vacation for some time but i found out tarantulainc had some but are sold out): Ill keep looking into it as they are VERY hard to find. If i come up with anything ill let you guys know :D

igrith

Arachnopeon
As they are an endangered species I really wouldn't hold my breathe on that one.
Rubbish :mad:, they are pretty common in culture and can easily be acquired if you know who to ask. I have some, though, i am in England and wont send to the usa.

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
"Common in culture" does not equal common in their native habitat. I'd say P. metallica is a fair example of that.

igrith

Arachnopeon
"Common in culture" does not equal common in their native habitat. I'd say P. metallica is a fair example of that.
yup, well done, yet i dont think people asking for them plan to go and catch them, do you? :laugh:

ConnorParnham

Arachnopeon
idk about endangered or rare but platnick as them in three countries... that doesn't necessarily mean they aren't endangered or rare, but it is better than them being from just one teeny tiny little part of one country
http://research.amnh.org/iz/spiders/catalog/SPARASSIDAE.html[/

Around 500 were found after inital discovery, to where they were thought as endangered, although havent really been classified under anything by IUCN. I was going to purchase one at a show i was at today, although due to unforeseen circumstances the show was cancelled due to safety reasons, polyped.de hold them in stock