euathlus sp

tictactank

Arachnopeon
i was going through online to find information and caresheet on the euathlus sp....but no proper information can be found....i hope someone over here can provide me a basic caresheet, information (ex:size, temperament etc) and personal experience on this beautiful species....thank you

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Actually, if you conduct a search on here, you can find stuff about them pretty easily? Suffice to say you can keep them exactly like G. rosea. They also do behave a lot like Grammostola/Brachypelma species.

Here's some links:

From what I've read, the E. spec. "red" (or "fire" - to my knowledge its the same species) are the most docile ones (though small) of the genus.

I currently have an Euathlus pulcherimaklaasi sling which is skittish like hell, eats like a horse and is pretty fast. Feisty, too, though that's just because that one seems to be always hungry :)

Sesame Sam

Arachnosquire
I keep my Euathlus sp red bone dry with a water dish. Provide a hide of some sort. Get to 2-3 inches legspan. Job done.

Big B

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have a couple of blue species coming in next week =) I read that the blues get bigger than the reds, but am not sure how credible my source was.

1hughjazzspider

Arachnoknight
I have a couple of blue species coming in next week =) I read that the blues get bigger than the reds, but am not sure how credible my source was.
The blue, or pulchermaklassi, get to be about 4". Keep them like a rosea, but don't be surprised if they act skittish from time to time.

High_Rolling_T

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'd like to add that I tend to keep my E. sp. "red" a bit more humid. Her enclosure is mostly dry, however, I spray heavily on one half every time I feed(once a week) and 80% of the time she'll wander right over to it and just relax on the damp half.

Other than that, everyone else has added some good info: Keep similar to G. rosea, E. sp. "red" only reaches about 3" and is very docile(your mileage may vary, though I have yet to hear of anyone's who has), likes to eat, wonderful colors, one of my favorite tarantulas by far.

Tarac

Arachnolord
I have pairs of both sp. "red" and "pulcherrimaklaasi" or sp blue or whatever the name we are using right now is (my understanding is that pulcherrimaklaasi, frequently used for the blue femur species, is actually not right either- someone please correct me if they know anything more current :) ).

I agree, the blue is more skittish. I tried to pair my blue female and she was a monster afterwards, biting the paintbrush, threatening and so on. She's not as approachable as the red for sure. The red I can just pick right up, both male and female are very docile even after pairing attempts. Red was not even aggressive towards the male or anything. My red is maybe 2.5-3" but my blue is easily approaching 5"- it is very significantly larger than the red. For my money, E. sp. red is the best beginner T due to its size, beauty, speed (or lack of rather), and generally docile attitude. Much better than a Rosie.

Care is like pretty much all other terrestrial Ts except maybe a little drier like most of the other Chilean species.

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Actually, if you conduct a search on here, you can find stuff about them pretty easily? Suffice to say you can keep them exactly like G. rosea. They also do behave a lot like Grammostola/Brachypelma species.

Here's some links:

From what I've read, the E. spec. "red" (or "fire" - to my knowledge its the same species) are the most docile ones (though small) of the genus.

I currently have an Euathlus pulcherimaklaasi sling which is skittish like hell, eats like a horse and is pretty fast. Feisty, too, though that's just because that one seems to be always hungry :)
+1. My E. sp red is pretty energetic.

Tarac

Arachnolord
Hehe, that's right what I posted as first link if you scroll up ;)
All that says is that sp. blue and "pulcherrimaklaasi" are the same thing, but there's no confirmation whether or not "pulcherrimaklaasi" is the correct name for that tarantula, only the same thing I point out here- is it the correct name or not? I think most people think it's not right, I was just wondering if anyone had formally put that to rest yet. Anyone know?

I keep mine pulchertomanylettersi simply because I bought my female under that name and it's less vague than sp. blue which was also used for another genus at one point. Using the pulcherihatetypingthisparticularnamei you only get the one (hopefully) but using sp. blue it was possible, at least at one point, to end up with two entirely different genera, as described in the post you referred to. That's my reasoning behind using that horrible clunky epithet over sp. blue.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
E. pulcherimaklaasi (spec. "blue" and pulcherimaklaasi ARE the same spider) are OFTEN mixed up with Homoeomma spec. "blue" over here. Whether or not it's the right name, I cannot say. The only thing I can remember is, that the pulcherimaklaasi was also sold as Thrixopelma species at some point I think. Then again, even some Brachypelma were once labelled as Euathlus. So who knows? Maybe one time the whole Euathlus genus will die out and move to Brachypelma...