Are these Mites dangerous?

ruckaisawesome

Arachnosquire
I was feeding my viet centipede today and saw these mites crawling on pede. Are they grain mites? or are they the dangerous kind of mites? Is my centipede safe?I havent seen any stick themself onto my pede yet. [YOUTUBE]9Uft3Zkv01Y[/YOUTUBE]

Breeum

Arachnopeon
I'm not entirely sure but i found mites that looked similar to that (small and light brown) on my A. geniculatta sling and a couple days later she pushed up daisies. It's worth mentioning she was only about a half inch and not very hardy. You might wanna change out his substrate and try and clean him off. I dunno if thats how you actually get rid of mites but it seemed to have dealt with problem in my B. Smithi tank.

Beautiful centipede by the way, i've been looking into getting one too.

ruckaisawesome

Arachnosquire
would you happen to know what kind of mites these are though? Im going to change the substrate tommorrow.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Those aren't grain mites, they move too fast. imo I wouldn't change the substrate, they move fast like a pred mite might move, didn't look like they were bothering the pede. I have something in my cages that look like that in the vid but it's impossible to say with only that vid. They are the same shape, color and move the same. I had some sent off and were ID'd as a kind of Hypoaspis mite. I have 1000s of them, they come out when there is a disturbance and walk on inverts and everywhere else.

stingray

Arachnobaron
I agree with galapoheros. Grain mites look like little grains or granules if you will. They will mostly be noticed along the crevices of the pedes tergites. I had a grain mite problem and noticed my pedes activity slowed down and they would scratch them selves with there legs like a dog does behind its ears. Thats when I took a closer look with a magnifier and saw them. After a substrate change and adding the white isopods it helped the pedes out immensely.

axle37

Arachnosquire
I agree with galapoheros. Grain mites look like little grains or granules if you will. They will mostly be noticed along the crevices of the pedes tergites. I had a grain mite problem and noticed my pedes activity slowed down and they would scratch them selves with there legs like a dog does behind its ears. Thats when I took a closer look with a magnifier and saw them. After a substrate change and adding the white isopods it helped the pedes out immensely.
boy do i love isopods! they have to be one of the most beneficial things i've added to my p. imp. tank.

HairyCelt

Arachnosquire
I'm new to 'pedes, but have had a couple of mite infestations with my Ts n scorps in the past - these are moving faster than the pests I've encountered and appear considerably larger.

I agree with Galapoheros - they look like the predatory Hypoapsis mites I've used as biologicals warfare in the past.