one of the HAPPYest days... blue baboon

Bosing

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
It all started when someone retured a MM blue baboon to me late last year. I sold it as a female years back and it was only after he hooked out that the T was returned. I refunded.

Good thing I have a female waiting for a partner. And so here is the picture story thread...

January 26

Feb 29

And then just last night, March 27

OH HAPPY HAPPY DAY!!!

Last edited:

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Thats some cool stuff. Glad it worked out for you, and funny story.

Jared781

Arachnobaron
Congrats man!!!!, If you lived in Canada i would ask you for a couple or 1

Bosing

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Congrats man!!!!, If you lived in Canada i would ask you for a couple or 1
too bad I'm from the Philippines. I'm offering it here at a really friendly rate. If they pay within March, they get it for PHP2000 only. lol

Regular selling here is at PHP3000.

Protectyaaaneck

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Congrats, but give them back to mom!

Taken directly from Scarab's breeding report:

I made a lot of mistakes last year. Removing the egg case from M balfouri seems to be a fatal mistake, and I did it 10 times during the 2010 "breeding cycle". :blush:

Last edited:

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Grats hope these little guys get more common so I can afford one.. I am Jobless for 15 months :( Ohio sucks

Scarab

Arachnopeon
Hi Bosing.

Thank you for the kind emails. With your permission, I am posting (parts of) our conversation here in the hope that it will benefit others.

Best wishes and good luck !!

Bosing: Last Feb 29, my female laid a sac. Last night I pulled the sac open and found babies crawling at post eggs with legs stage. Now a friend over at the US told me I did a major mistake pulling thebabies away from mommy. He suggests I put it back later after I leave from work. This would mean 24 hours of separation from the mom as the babies are in a DIY incubator since last night.

I don’t want to lose them and as I am the first in the Philippines to be able to breed the specie, I don’t want my project to fail. Appreciate if you can help out.

Scarab: Congratulations !!

It was a mistake to pull the egg case, but that is now done. I would VERY carefully remove the living babies from the sac and place them back with the female. After 24 hours, or even much longer, she will accept them back and care for them as if they hatched in her burrow. From your pictures, they look strong, but I am willing to bet they are unlikely to survive on their own. It might be possible, but I think the fatality rate will be high.

Place them as close to her as possible, or at least inside her burrow. It will be a scary business as I am sure you are very worried something will happen to them. If you want, keep five together in one tub and place the rest with the female. If you have the courage, place all back with her, I am almost 100% sure they will be fine !!

Make sure you keep them very dry, they will die from to much humidity.

Bosing: So again, I need to put each sling back one by one? Can I just drop the sac back inside?

Scarab: You will not get all of them to sit still on the sac, so best is to take a small spoon, put one on the spoon and drop it inside the burrow. They will walk around a bit and it might look like they are lost, but believe me, they will re unite with the mother and happy days will follow.

You might notice that the female currently appears "depressed"... ? She might be sitting in the same spot, seemingly without interest in anything. Once you replace the babies, she will come back to life, so to speak.

Bosing: How long before they get to third instars when I can already separate them?

Scarab: It is difficult to estimate a time, it is more a matter of looking at the slings and judge their ability to survive on their own. When you introduce food into the webbing of the female and they run out to grab some, you know they can hunt alone. At this time, it is safe to remove them from the female.

Now this is the fun part. They are VERY "clever" and will not be easy to catch.

Start by removing as much substrate from the enclosure as possible. All the spiders will be hiding inside the burrow, so you will not have difficulty here. Then VERY carefully start to break the nest, continuing until the female is exposed. She might defend at first, but should give up the fight and try to escape. Remove the female FIRST and secure her elsewhere. If you already have an enclosure prepared for her, place her into her new home. Now you can work through the remaining substrate and webbing to place the young in their own tubs.

KEEP THEM DRY... PLEASE !! Many folks tend to put them into damp and/or wet substrate, this WILL kill them.

I will be very interested to learn how the re introduction worked, in my experience, there should not be a problem.

Bosing

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
thank you for being so generous with all the information. I can't wait to come home from work (which will happen in 3-4 hours from now).

My concern is that last night, I put them in an incubator designed to provide high humidity. I hope they make it within the 24 hours...

Scarab

Arachnopeon
You are welcome. The more they are bred with success, the better for this magnificent Baboon !!

I honestly hope they are still good !! Kindly update once you know, and on the re-introduction process.

Bosing

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Well the good news is that I found the babies alive and well. I decided to take your word and give them back to mommy...

I first tried to scoop them one by one... but I was having a hard time, so I decided to get the sac along with the babies clinging onto it and put it on one side...

The babies started walking on mommy's webbings...

And oh yes, she felt them.

Here is the shot of her enclosure... good thing I kept it dry.

At first I thought she was gonna snatch the sac and eat it... but no...

She threw herself over her babies as if to imply she was protecting the young...

Then she started webbing like crazy...

She did it for 10 minutes and then went back in...

She covered everything up...

I left 4 slings in the incubator to see how it goes...

Thanks again, scarab!!!

Scarab

Arachnopeon
I almost have no words, at that seldom happens...

If I say this is spectacularly brilliant, I would be understating!! Now you will REALLY enjoy their progress without a care in the world. She will feed and protect them until they are ready to be on their own. I knew at least this, the female will not harm them and wake from her utter depression once the babies are back.

Magnificent mate !! Truly !!

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Congrats, man! Awesome! Hope you'll get 'em all through, or at least most of them! Please, please, please - post pictures often especially of feeding and the like!

ijmccollum

Arachnosquire
Gotta say, "I am way impressed". And scarab, good of you to talk him through it.