Light sensitivity

goatpiper

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I know that all T's don't like bright light, but the only one I have that reacts to it strongly is my chaco. I have a very small pocket flashlight that I use to check things out in the various enclosures. If any light hits my T's, they don't seem to care. The minute the chaco gets hit by light, she scoots. I figured if any of them would be more sensitive, it would be my GBB, since they're nervous to begin with...

metzgerzoo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
As with many things in the T keeping world, light is an on going debate. While Ts in general do not like light, the sun rises, it sets...etc. We keep a flexible desk lamp over our Ts that acts as the "sun" per se. It is turned on in the morning and turned off at sunset. None of our Ts have had much of a problem with the flashlights except our P.murinus, although they will tend to stop whatever it is they may be doing. I would guess, and this is only a guess, that perhaps it is the sudden bright light that spooks your chaco.:confused:

Keith Richard

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Try masking your flashlight with some red plastic or polythene. T's are not supposed to be able to detect red light. My Chaco couldn't care less if it were daylight, the room lights were on, shining a flashlight at her......in fact, the other day I was sitting watching her preen and I swear she spun around 90 degrees to face me directly in a "stare out". Probably just coincidence but pretty cool at the time nonetheless. My little B smithi doesn't mind being lit up by red light...she looks great as well!!