Avicularia Slings

Lost In Space

Arachnopeon
So far i'm one into the hobby, looking to get another but this time instead of purchasing a juvy, i'm looking for a sling. I do like to handle my Tarantulas, so I'm probably going to stick with Avicularia sp. But I've read so much about them dying off easily and not being hardy at all. I follow Jon3800 on youtube and almost all of his avicularia slings have died and he refuses to buy them anymore. Anyone know a substitute instead of the pinktoe? I was thinking maybe getting a GBB but am still open to just about anything docile. :) Also anyone else not have luck with Avic slings? or have the opposite and have raised many without any complications?

TZach

Arachnosquire
Well i have a avic avic juvy and i have no problems. She is not a sling though, and i love jon3800, he has helped me alot. The only thing you have to worry about is keeping that humidity up, thats why jons died, he couldnt find that humidity level they liked. You could get a Green bottle blue, but they are a tad defensive/skittish. But what has happened to jon should not stop YOU from buying one. You could have better luck with them.

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I fail to understand why some people cannot keep them alive,IMHO they are quite hardy and do better on the drier side.We have never had any issues,and we have bred a few different sp of Avicularia.(thousands of slings)

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
^true brett... i dont get it. John3800 has TONS of ts and is very knowledgeable (from what ive seen on youtube).. i dont get why he (or so many other people) CANT KEEP THESE ALIVE. maybe im counting my eggs before they hatch ...so to speak... but i dont consider raising the slings i have a problem at all... pop em in an enclosure with decent ventilation, mist the sides and webbing 2x a week, moisten HALF the coco thoroughly 1x a week and TA-DA... no problemo... YET (knock on wood)

skar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I started out with Avic slings and continue to keep them without any issues. They are easy and fun as slings, don't worry about it. They're cool.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
The main problem with Avic slings is simply: Ventilation. NOT humidity or temperature really. Ventilation is the key and from my own experience so far I can say the following:

a) Those enclosures with airholes around the side and on the top work better for juveniles and up than on slings!

b) Slings need LOTS of ventilation so the humid air doesn't get stagnant - if the humidity stays too high in there, they'll die because of right THAT.

c) At least for myself, what works really well so far, are the enclosures I use:

P1010221.JPG P1010222.JPG

You can drill some holes in the side of the enclosure, or cut out some more plastic and hotglue plastic/metalmesh on there, but personally I won't keep any Avicularia in an enclosure with "just" holes. (Experiences may vary on this, for sure!)

d) Don't overmist them! Even if you keep "misting every x days" it could be that you just ADD to the humidity in there. I mist, then check 2 days later, if I see the substrate is still moist, I do NOT mist, if at all, I carefull put some waterdroplets on the webbing. I do mist only if I see the substrate is getting dry again, plus, I only mist ONE side of the enclosure and don't soak the substrate.

This is just my personal opinion on the subject.

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I fail to understand why some people cannot keep them alive,IMHO they are quite hardy and do better on the drier side.We have never had any issues,and we have bred a few different sp of Avicularia.(thousands of slings)
In complete agreement. I haven't found Avicularia to be any more fragile than any other genus of tarantula. I'm not trying to bash anybody here, but people need to remember that youtube users are hobbyists, just like everyone else. Just because they have one experience does NOT mean that is the norm for everyone else. In this case, I'd say he is in the minority.

hamhock 74

Arachnobaron
I'm currently raising 4 Avic slings (versi, diverscipes, sp. peru purple, sp. amazonica) and one adult Avic avic with minimal effort and had no problem what so ever. Vent holes around the top, letting it become completely dry in the container before wetting down the substrate, have/had absolutely no problems at all. Go for it.

DSCN1241.JPG

Ben Oliver

Arachnopeon
i have raised all my T's from slings. i only have 3 Avics. 2 Avic avic and a versicolor. i have no problem with them eating or molting they grow like weeds. i mist their enclosures 2 to 3 times a week and have them all cross ventilated. imo avics are one of the easiest species to keep so far. i have had all my Avics for over a year now and should be getting a few different Avics in the near future. imo slings are better then juvies or adults that way you can see their attitudes as babies to adults, that way you won't be shocked if they try to bite or run. that is just my opinion though i am not an expert i have gotten most of my information from the boards and on the net and filled the rest in with common sense.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I'm kinda assuming that some slings are just not MADE to survive. Plus, some people tend to mist the enclosures every X days no matter how much moisture is in there anyways. The latter paired with no/bad ventilation and your slings are going to die likely.

However, experiences vary and everyone seems to have one or another way of raising them. As long as that works - don't change it unless being up for an experiment and maybe losing a prized T.

XrustyjamesX

Arachnopeon
Has anyone used a hygrometer when raising an Avic. sling?

If so, any recommendations of a humidity level that has worked for you in the past?
I have a Versi. in a clear display case from the craft store with one 2" screen vent centered on the front.
The humidity level tends to fluctuate between 70-90% depending on misting. I try to keep it around 70-75%.

It has been in there for about it week and webbed up the top pretty well. Seems to be content so far...

Last edited:

RS4guy

Arachnosquire
Has anyone used a hygrometer when raising an Avic. sling?

If so, any recommendations of a humidity level that has worked for you in the past?
I have a Versi. in a clear display case from the craft store with one 2" screen vent centered on the front.
The humidity level tends to fluctuate between 70-90% depending on misting. I try to keep it around 70-75%.

It has been in there for about it week and webbed up the top pretty well. Seems to be content so far...
Might want to poke a few holes or add some mesh to the sides for some cross ventilating. I keep my versi sling in a 32oz deli cup, fabric top with a few holes poked, and several holes poked using a metal dowel all around the sides, at 1" intervals.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
If you read carefully through the posts, I don't think ANYONE uses hygrometers for slings at all.

Check if the substrate is moist (not soaking wet), then it's alright.

Mist if it starts to dry out, which can usually be seen either from the outside, or by touching it with a fingertip. Over time, you'll get the knack of when to mist and when not to. Think it took myself maybe 2 weeks before I was content on that.

SamuraiSid

Arachnodemon
If you read carefully through the posts, I don't think ANYONE uses hygrometers for slings at all.

Check if the substrate is moist (not soaking wet), then it's alright.

Mist if it starts to dry out, which can usually be seen either from the outside, or by touching it with a fingertip. Over time, you'll get the knack of when to mist and when not to. Think it took myself maybe 2 weeks before I was content on that.
Funny how we rarely use hygrometers for slings, when the T is most susceptible to desiccation, but as they mature and become water tight, we wastefully use hygro's. I mean, if I can succesfully raise a sling of X sp. then I should have no humidity issue when the t is mature.

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Gauges are a waste of money IMHO....Mist it,let it dry out,and mist again.Do not overthink your Avic.That is why most die ,again my opinion..

rockhopper

Arachnosquire
Gauges are a waste of money IMHO....Mist it,let it dry out,and mist again.Do not overthink your Avic.That is why most die ,again my opinion..
Agree with this. A little moisture and some ventilation and it should be good to go. Better to be on the dry side than the wet side IMO.

Thistles

Arachnobroad
Old Timer
My first Ts were 2 A. avicularia, an A. versicolor and a G. pulchra. They were all tiny slings and I had no idea what I was doing. All of my Avicularia lived to adulthood, even though they were all in different kinds of containers. I had 2 that just had little holes drilled in the top, and 1 that was in a bigger container with a mesh top, much like the containers used to culture fruit flies. One was on vermiculite, the other 2 were on eco earth. I just made sure to keep their substrate damp and occasionally mist the sides of the containers so they could drink. I also fed them every 4-5 days which probably kept them hydrated. I never had a bad shed or stagnant air or mold... I think they must be pretty bomb-proof to survive my ignorance. Don't be scared of them because of one other person's bad experience. Animals are built to survive. We need to meet minimum requirements, but they aren't trying to die. If you use common sense and seek the expertise of others, you should be just fine.