Arboreal enclosure

AmysAnimals

Arachnobaron
Would it be horrible of me to buy an enclosure that is way to big for my sling? Its leg span is a little over 2". I want to buy a large arboreal cage from tarantulahomes.com. It says it's good for adult T's with a leg span up to 6". I can make lots of hiding spots and fill it with fake plants so it doesn't feel like it's out in the open. Do you think it would be terrible? Would it be too big? Would I lose it in there? lol

This is the one I want to buy: http://www.tarantulahomes.com/ver_large.php

RS4guy

Arachnosquire
I dont think it would be a great idea as the T would get "lost" and wont easily find food.

rockhopper

Arachnosquire
It won't be an issue for the T IMO, but you will probably have a harder time finding it. Remember, they have no walls in the real world. As long as you give it a place to make its hide it should be good to go.

hamhock 74

Arachnobaron
What kind of sling are you putting in there? I personally think it'll be a waste of space to put a tiny sling in such a huge space but each to their own.

SamuraiSid

Arachnodemon
+1 to everyone.

what sp. of T? My avics spend 99% of thir time at the very top of the enclosure, so in that sence Id think you wont have any issues with an avic species. Im not overly familiar with pocies and psalms. And your probably going to have to tong feed and make sure your T finds the food.

rockhopper

Arachnosquire
And your probably going to have to tong feed and make sure your T finds the food.
Why is that? I don't tong feed any of mine. Well, sometimes my B vagans likes to jump up and rip the feeders out of the tongs, but I usually just throw the feeder in and let them hunt it out.

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Why is that? I don't tong feed any of mine. Well, sometimes my B vagans likes to jump up and rip the feeders out of the tongs, but I usually just throw the feeder in and let them hunt it out.
I could see a small T not finding prey in a large enclosure. Especially if it's an arboreal sling-juvie that tends to remain confined to a single spot.

To the OP: it may work, but why stick it in such a large enclosure? You can get a more appropriately sized acrylic box to use as an enclosure for a few bucks.

rockhopper

Arachnosquire
I could see a small T not finding prey in a large enclosure. Especially if it's an arboreal sling-juvie that tends to remain confined to a single spot.
IME if they get hungry they will go find it. It may not be as interesting to the owner if they aren't ripping it out of your tongs, but they won't just sit there and starve to death from what I've seen although I haven't seen it all.

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I wouldn't put a very small spider in a very large tank, but a 2" spider in an arboreal tank to suit a 6" spider should be fine, especially if it has plenty of vegetation and so on.

I don't lavish my spiders with acres of space, but I don't really buy into the whole "it will struggle to find food" scenario.

AmysAnimals

Arachnobaron

To the OP: it may work, but why stick it in such a large enclosure? You can get a more appropriately sized acrylic box to use as an enclosure for a few bucks.
idk, I guess I got excited to buy something new? I can buy a smaller one and upgrade when need be. They have smaller ones on their site.

To everyone else, it's an avicularia versicolor.

TZach

Arachnosquire
Ya it would not be the best choice. its like putting a blind man in a mansion

DannyH

Arachnobaron
If you want to see the tarantula, I don't think you should. The website sells smaller sized cages, and once it outgrows the cage, you can use it again. Also, if its price you're worried about, places like walmart usually have good sized tubberware, all you need to do is poke in holes.

AmysAnimals

Arachnobaron
Thanks! I will keep the enclosure I have now. It really doesn't need a new one. I just wanted a nicer one. I will wait until it can go into an adult enclosure to buy one.

Jared781

Arachnobaron
Would it be horrible of me to buy an enclosure that is way to big for my sling? Its leg span is a little over 2". I want to buy a large arboreal cage from tarantulahomes.com. It says it's good for adult T's with a leg span up to 6". I can make lots of hiding spots and fill it with fake plants so it doesn't feel like it's out in the open. Do you think it would be terrible? Would it be too big? Would I lose it in there? lol

This is the one I want to buy: http://www.tarantulahomes.com/ver_large.php
for a 2" specimen, i think that enclosure is too big!.. anywyas this thread has helped me with deciding on "proper" housing

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/sho...heet!!!-(READ-ME-before-asking-care-questions!)

Prometheus

Arachnoknight
Bottom line is how you intend on feeding your T. I personally verify a kill with all my T's when feeding and the only exception is when I feed my 2i-3i when I get a sac (just cause of the numbers/time especially with multiple sacs). So the whole large enclosure thing is out the window if you feed like this cause you will know if the T has ate. As for decorating to stop some sort of Agoraphobia attack makes me laugh :) Give it something to make a hide with and the T will be fine. Fall safety is more of an issue than any of the 2 mentioned in the previous posts. Best to think of their natural habitat and I am pretty sure a curled up leaf with an A.versi in it hanging from a tree in the wild, makes a slightly large acrylic enclosure seem very dubious for problems.

AmysAnimals

Arachnobaron
I used to tong feed my versi but as it grew it stopped liking the tongs so I stopped doing it. I just crush the head of it's food now and place it in its web and it finds it.