Black widow Identification - Assistance Please...

smalpree

Arachnopeon
I was in the Angelina National Forest in East Texas in a Pine Forest/Bog area that was heavy on sphagnum moss, native Texas orchids and pitcher plants when I spotted a very unusual Black Widow unlike any I had previously seen.

The majority of the body black with white stripes and red spots on the back of the abdomen and a red spot near the spinnerets. The legds were a very dark red that bled to black at joints and body part intersections. I was unable to get a decent or even a bad photograph of the back as the spider would always keep it's belly towards me no matter how I maneuvered around it.

I attached some images to get assistance. There are also some higher resolution images on Flikr:

I looked at numerous species on Wikipedia and other sites and do not see a match for this one. It definitely did not match latrodectus bishopi.

2012-03-24 - Angelina National Forrest (Boykin Springs) Black Widow - 5464 (HDR).jpg 2012-03-24 - Angelina National Forrest (Boykin Springs) Black Widow - 5467.jpg 2012-03-24 - Angelina National Forrest (Boykin Springs) Black Widow - 5470.jpg

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
yep, mature male mactans.

very pretty red too. usually only see that much red on a variolus male.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Beautiful! Those are shots to keep on record of the variations the BWs have.