Illegal?

Lost In Space

Arachnopeon
Someone in the classifieds section in my city is selling a live tarantula ( G rosea ) and claiming that it's fangs can be used for jewellery. :S Is that not illegal?

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
no... y would it be.. i see it alot actually and have a collection of fangs myself **not the jewelry type**

---------- Post added 04-13-2012 at 07:55 PM ----------

is it illegal to have a sharktooth necklace or a rattler's rattle on somethin?

hamhock 74

Arachnobaron
If the fang is coming from a molt I don't see why not, if it was pulled directly from the tarantula. Illegal no, unethical, yes highly.

SamuraiSid

Arachnodemon
G. rosea has small fangs, and that would make poor jewellery.

I hate the fact they are selling a live T, and telling people the fangs are jewellery... Makes me think the buyer is going to be very very cruel. But maybe the seller is originally from Thailand or the Phillipines where it wouldnt be considered unethical, much the same that us north americans remove the tails from our pigs- errrr, commodity pork;)

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
HUH?? my female rosies fangs are ginormous i bet the male ive been pairing her with is scared as can be lookin up at those

Rich65

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Most inverts are not protected in the US states. Look how many insects beetles and what not are made into key chains and paper weights..
If that was a talon, tooth or a claw etc. from a protected species than yes it would be illegal. We as humans have kept and adorned ourselfs for millenia with trophies or pieces of that which we have killed...

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
But maybe the seller is originally from Thailand or the Phillipines where it wouldnt be considered unethical, much the same that us north americans remove the tails from our pigs- errrr, commodity pork;)
easy ditto... he wasnt offending anybody

Rich65

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ditto.......doesnt matter where we are from...someone somewhere will think what we do or believe is unethical !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jared781

Arachnobaron
I dont know about you guys, but i would deffinitely rock some T. blondi fangs aHa... of course from a molt!
speaking of molts, Im not exactly sure what to do with them so i keep them on a paper towel! :/

Curious jay

Arachnodemon
I dont know about you guys, but i would deffinitely rock some T. blondi fangs aHa... of course from a molt!
speaking of molts, Im not exactly sure what to do with them so i keep them on a paper towel! :/
I generly keep the molts inside the deli cup the T came in but thats only Gunna be useful for so long with my LP lol I was considering going to my local fishing shop and getting a tackle bag with removable slots so I can store them in there but it's a pretty expensive route lol may just be better using Tupperware or something.

Rich65

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hey a good thing to use is the large clear plastic display cups or tubs from the reptile shows, about 16" in diameter. I have two large ones full of female molts and one for males.
Works great for educational purposes or as reference for future sexing. Just a cool way of keeping one of every female T species i've had over the years..................

Giygas

Arachnosquire
I soak them in hot water so they're easier to work with. Then I let them dry out but not before positioning them in a natural position. Once they dry up, I get a paper clip and snip a small piece out of it. I use a block of styrofoam as a mounting frame, put the molts on, then carefully pin them down with the piece of paper clip. A drop of pvc glue will keep the torso as well as all the legs in place. I also write the sp. and common name. So far, I've given at least 5 arrangements away as gifts :)

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
You guys do realize that the fangs from the molt are as brittle as the rest of the molt. So most likely the rosea in the ad would be killed for the actual fangs. But before that guy sells it (if ever), you should contact him, and tell him he is about as smart as a spork!

Jared781

Arachnobaron
Ino i have gave keeping the fangs a thought yet i would just rather keep the molt if anything!
Someone should invent a "Molt Rack"

Last edited:

melijoc

Arachnopeon
I saw a youtube video where these drunks were fighting a rosie vs brazilian black. Also a rosie vs a king scorpion in which they made an arena out of a rope and lit it on fire. The rosie caught on fire and died. I love my ts and i would hate for them to be treated like they did in these videos.can peta be called to analyze the vids to see if they broke the law? Or do insects even count?

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
That is horrible. I doubt PETA would even care. They are not fluffy cuddly animals, so mean nothing to the general population.
I saw a youtube video where these drunks were fighting a rosie vs brazilian black. Also a rosie vs a king scorpion in which they made an arena out of a rope and lit it on fire. The rosie caught on fire and died. I love my ts and i would hate for them to be treated like they did in these videos.can peta be called to analyze the vids to see if they broke the law? Or do insects even count?

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
---------- Post added 04-13-2012 at 07:55 PM ----------

[/COLOR]is it illegal to have a sharktooth necklace or a rattler's rattle on somethin?
gray hit the nail on the head here. I know that it sounds mean but it's not illegal.

I don't have any giants that would make good jewelery but call me weird, I like keeping the fangs of the biggest exuvia. They're kind of neat to look at.

I had a really nice necklace from someone here who used shed fangs to make it but lost it. :(

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Someone told me they fill the shed fangs with super glue to make them more durable to use for jewelry

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I like keeping the fangs of the biggest exuvia. They're kind of neat to look at.
i save ALL of mine lol... well, as long as the chiclera (did i spell that right?) is big enough to seperate from the exuvia. i have fangs that are like 1/8" to like 1"