Starting a Haplo thread ! I would like some help from the Pros - would like to clarify a few things

arachnidsrva

Arachnoknight
Haplopelma longipes vs. H von wirthi vs. H minax

They are extremely similar, what are the most obvious differing characteristics?
I've been struggling recently.... haha

maybe we can remove some doubt for people in the future that otherwise have no idea sometimes like myself.

sometimes i have a hard time labeling them - (especially if they haven't molted in a while)

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Haplopelma vonwirthi and Haplopelma minax are very, very, very similar. So similar one could argue they could be the same species, but that's not my call to make.

Haplopelma longipes are very different to the above two species, visually speaking. They, like minax, have a wide spread of colour forms/hues.

I will illustrate with some pictures:

Premoult minax

Postmoult minax (different specimen)

Premoult vonworthi

A different premoult vonworthi

Postmoult vonworthi

Premoult longipes

longipes exuvium (note the size of leg IV and the length relation of legs I and IV, and also the scopula on leg IV)

Postmoult longipes

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I've noticed that sp."Vietnam/Vonwirthi" tends to have more pronounced leg striation then real minax,More pronounced tiger striping on abdomen(in adults) and often reddish or brown colored spinnerets.
I believe the minax I am keeping here originates from Thailand but they have a large range and it is my understanding there is regional variants of this species found in other areas of South East Asia.Real Haplopelma minax are also extremely rare in the US tarantula hobby but are often sold as such when people don't take the time to Id there stock correctly!Sadly this is often the case with many Haplopelma species!

Haplopelma minax

-Chris

Last edited:

arachnidsrva

Arachnoknight
hahahaha. i appreciate the photos that you posted. but now i am further confused - the fourth image down from the bottom looks so much like a H. schmidti

did you take those yourself? or did you grab them off of the web? so now I am further lost into the abyss of the unknown

i guess what I need to do is start taking some of my collection out and shooting before/after molting stages and variations between color, but of the same specimens

i don't know what to think about keeping haplo's now. i have so many variations but I am often confused as to what comes in - which makes me hesitant about labeling/selling any of it either.

arachnidsrva

Arachnoknight
Haplopelma images - H. schmidti

schmidti.jpg h-schmidti.jpg

H. schmidti - this one is fairly easy to determine - unless that picture you posted really is a H. schmidti

Last edited:

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
hahahaha. i appreciate the photos that you posted. but now i am further confused - the fourth image down from the bottom looks so much like a H. schmidti

did you take those yourself? or did you grab them off of the web? so now I am further lost into the abyss of the unknown

i guess what I need to do is start taking some of my collection out and shooting before/after molting stages and variations between color, but of the same specimens

i don't know what to think about keeping haplo's now. i have so many variations but I am often confused as to what comes in - which makes me hesitant about labeling/selling any of it either.
Yes, all the pictures are mine and show my spiders. H.longipes could never be confused with H.schmidti in my view - H.longipes lacks the pronounced cheliceral beard of H.schmidti, it also has the wrong leg length ratio, and the pronounced femoral gold brushes of setae that schmidti has. You need to look past colour....

arachnidsrva

Arachnoknight
Okay I have a great idea. I will shoot single pictures of each of the following - H. longipes - H. minax - H. von wirthi -

We can make little identification arrows to the different sections of the T's with informational bubbles

Lopez I am really looking forward to this!

jbm150

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It's best to be as transparent as possible. Maybe not from a "move the T as fast as possible" view but from an ethical business practice. I know as a customer, I want to know exactly what I'm getting when I buy (or as close as possible). I really appreciate you taking the time and effort to try to learn to key out the species you sell. And I'm interested because I love Haplos :)

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
With regards to your longipes/schmidti confusion:

Starting at the front:
longipes - Leg I clearly shorter than leg IV
schmidti - Leg I clearly longer than leg IV with extremely robust femurs

longipes - Leg I & II no dense brush of hairs
schmidti - Leg I & II have a clearly visible dense brush of golf hairs, particularly noticeable on Leg II in this picture

longipes - short, dense "beard" (sideburns really) on the outer edge of the chelicerae
schmidti - long, fuzzy "beard" on the outer edge of the chelicerae. Not overly clear in this picture

longipes - Leg IV robust with a tuft of hair on the metatarsus. Enlarged scopula pads underneath leg IV
schmidti - Leg IV reasonably slender with no tuft of hair on the metatarasus. Scopula pads underneath leg IV not particularly pronounced

longipes - abdomen "normally" shaped
schmidti - abdomen squat, almost squared off at the spinnerets

In addition to the above, the habitus is different - schmidti is a far stockier, more robust spider than longipes.

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Maybe while on this "correctly identifying individuals" kick (this thread and http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/sho...tes-hercules&p=2023426&viewfull=1#post2023426) you could also figure out what you were selling as Cyriopagopus thorelli. According to everything I've read, C. thorelli isn't in the hobby.

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/sho...edtei-thorelli&p=173555&viewfull=1#post173555

It may just be me, but your Cyriopagopus thorelli look quite different from Cyriopagopus I've seen.

http://arachnidsrva.com/tarantulas-for-sale-2/cyriopagopus-thorelli-malaysian-earthtiger-2/

It's best to be as transparent as possible. Maybe not from a "move the T as fast as possible" view but from an ethical business practice. I know as a customer, I want to know exactly what I'm getting when I buy (or as close as possible).
Exactly.

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Isn't thorelli now schoiedetei( or however it is spelled)

arachnidsrva

Arachnoknight
i removed it from the site - when these came in labled "malaysian earth tiger" with a sharpe marker - they later then molted and turned into ...surprise surprise

Haplopelma albostriata - thanks for reminding me to remove that!

I need to get un-lazy and add the rest

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Isn't thorelli now schoiedetei( or however it is spelled)
No - all pet trade material sold as C.thorelli that has been examined is actually C.schioedtei.

C.thorelli remains a valid species for now - it just isn't in the hobby.

jbm150

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This is true. Here's a pic of an actual C. thorelli from Rick West's site

Looks kinda like a Borneo black with thinner legs

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
No - all pet trade material sold as C.thorelli that has been examined is actually C.schioedtei.

C.thorelli remains a valid species for now - it just isn't in the hobby.
Awesome. Thanks for the info!

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This is true. Here's a pic of an actual C. thorelli from Rick West's site

Looks kinda like a Borneo black with thinner legs
Yup, I wish they were in the hobby, I'd be first in line for them.

Glad to hear you were able to identify them. That's quite a transformation, H. albostriatum wouldn't have been high on my list of guesses.

arachnidsrva

Arachnoknight
i"ll try and snap a before/after picture of the same specimen - it's amazing how much that one changed between one molt