cricket mutation?

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I raise my own feeders. I was feeding out a cricket the other day and saw that it had really short back legs. I regretted feeding it out. I found 2 more, they are on the right, the normal one is on the left. I will prob find more, I have 1000s. I'm going to try to find enough and isolate them, breed them and see what happens. It'd be nice to have crix that don't escape as easily. These are Sup crix btw. I really like these, no smell at all over here, except a cat that snuck in an hour ago and sprayed something, I hate that:mad:. I just realized it might be poss that they lost their back legs before a molt and grew back smaller ones with the next molt. But I would bet that's not the case, have to wait and see.

Last edited:

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've seen the same thing. I imagine that it is some attempt to get a hybrid feeder that will have some immunuty to the cricket disease. (not sure if it's even possible, total guess on my part). Maybe the feeder company is trying to slowly switch over to the new cricket. That way people don't freak out when all of the crickets are new at once.

Introvertebrate

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
By all accounts Gryllus assimilis is completely immune to the cricket disease. I'm not aware of them having shorter legs though.

ZephAmp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
This species isn't G. assimilis; it's another species of potentially African origin that is the "super cricket". G. assimilis is what the cricket breeders are switching over to, though.

lizardminion

Arachnolord
Well, after several thousand years of domestication, we say goodbye by to Acheta domestica, huh...

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Super crickets, huh? I'll have to put an order of them in next time. Right now I have more feeders than mouths for weeks. X-D

Is there a really large cricket species available for bulk purchase in the US? I can't even find a colony of field crickets. I'm always trying to expand my variation of feeders. I'm researching green banana roaches now.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yeah Kyle found that at Ghann's site, a local pet store was selling them as feeders, many stores were selling them and I think some still do. But are these wild in Florida? I've seen the info on the internet, people will quote it but I just don't know what to believe atm.

ZephAmp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah Kyle found that at Ghann's site, a local pet store was selling them as feeders, many stores were selling them and I think some still do. But are these wild in Florida? I've seen the info on the internet, people will quote it but I just don't know what to believe atm.
From the cricket species I saw in Sorrento, Florida, I can't recall any of them looking remotely like the "super crix." I did, however, see a few G. assimilis out there.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hey Zon I found another range map yesterday that pinpointed the so called population in California but I can't find it right now. Yeah Zeph, I'm a little puzzled too so far because I've seen pics of ones in Florida and well, I know color is not that important but even besides the color, the shape of the head the bulk of them, they just look diff to me also. Might as well just go with it atm though.

Tarantel

Arachnobaron
Just be careful if it starts shooting laser beams out of its eyes or absorbing the other crickets powers.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Here are a couple of short-legged mature males. They aren't going to make "any" noise with those. Hmm, no noise, no smelly die-offs, can't jump very high, sounds good to me! 'll try the breeding thing and see how it goes. Hope they aren't sterile of course, and they won't need to make noise with the females already close by, I would guess anyway.

Here's a pic next to a normal male.

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I believe they make sound by rubbing their wings together, not their legs. so they may still yet produce sound ;)

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I believe they make sound by rubbing their wings together, not their legs. so they may still yet produce sound ;)
They rub the fore wings together, not the hind wings underneath. But notice how they are small, mutated compared to the normal male I threw in for the last pic for comparing. They can't make noise with those. So it looks like whatever is causing the short-legged thing is related to having short fore wings. I haven't had a short-legged female mature yet, curious about that.

Introvertebrate

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
They do look a little like the crazy reds on the Ghann's website. Not that that's a bad thing.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I don't have much doubt they are the crazy reds, but I can't get myself to trust 100% the other claims there either.

axle37

Arachnosquire
that would be nice. i've already started a dubia colony so i won't have to worry about the smell the crickets made, but i might start a colony if its true the smell is reduced and jumping is hindered by leg length.